Firmware 6.01

This is so awesome! I am particularly excited to hear the leslie. I have had a little trouble getting a really good growl out of it. From what I read, Cliff has improved on this!!!

Just when I think this thing can't get any better.... Love it!!

Still hoping for a Zendrive but I suspect it's not the "other drive".
I'm with you on the zendrive. I'm not holding my breath, but it would make me very happy. Its really the only dirt pedal I'd even bother asking for to be honest.

Why a zendrive if the zendrive's goal is to sound like a dumble, why not just use the ods100 model. Just curious, not looking to start an argument

or you could just tell us :)

Good guess; but I was never endorsed by Blackstone. Great pedal though...

...hint: I'm still on the "Musician Comments" page on their site... (and I still had hair back then!)... and one of the new drives modeled is mentioned in my comments... it's all cool... ;)

Why a zendrive if the zendrive's goal is to sound like a dumble, why not just use the ods100 model. Just curious, not looking to start an argument
Not everybody uses the amp sims, pluss a box distortion sounds very different than an amp even if it's modeled after the same amp. I would love the zen drive to be included but I'm very happy about the AC boost.

I've owned both a Dumble "clone" (Two Rock Emerald 50) and a Zendrive. While the ZD definitely appeals to the Dumble crowd, it has its own thing going that's definitely not present in any of the Dumble models in any AxeFx I've played (Ultra 5.x-11.0 and AxeFx II 1.02-6.0).

Fact is, I'm glad to see that they're adding dirt pedals. While many (but not all) drive pedals were designed to emulate the tone of cranked amps, many ended up with a distinct timbre that didn't sound like any amp out there. There are a lot of benchmark guitar tones that can't be achieved by (modeled) amps alone.

for me, i would like to have one because i don't use the amp or cab sims live. i only use the effects in front of my redplate amp. a dumble inspired pedal would be a great addition to the axe II

Why a zendrive if the zendrive's goal is to sound like a dumble, why not just use the ods100 model.
- AFAIK, Cliff (and me) are Robben Ford fans
- Robben kinda said the Fender Super reverb is his favorite amp, or at least that he can do anything with it
- When he did, he probably used the Zen drive with it in the past
So I hope Cliff has played some catching up here... ;) Super Reverb to follow? :p

(at least, the Zen drive looks like a super easy schematic too, so always a nice candidate for a quick add)

I've owned both a Dumble "clone" (Two Rock Emerald 50) and a Zendrive. While the ZD definitely appeals to the Dumble crowd, it has its own thing going that's definitely not present in any of the Dumble models in any AxeFx I've played (Ultra 5.x-11.0 and AxeFx II 1.02-6.0).

Fact is, I'm glad to see that they're adding dirt pedals. While many (but not all) drive pedals were designed to emulate the tone of cranked amps, many ended up with a distinct timbre that didn't sound like any amp out there. There are a lot of benchmark guitar tones that can't be achieved by (modeled) amps alone.

I heartily agree that certain sounds are best achieved using a dirt pedal into a clean/semi-clean amp model - I'm guessing that at least half of my best drive & solo sounds throughout the years have been achieved using an OD pedal as the primary distortion source. I love it that Cliff included a parametric mids control in the OD block, as it let's us get many different tones out of one model. :)

I heartily agree that certain sounds are best achieved using a dirt pedal into a clean/semi-clean amp model - I'm guessing that at least half of my best drive & solo sounds throughout the years have been achieved using an OD pedal as the primary distortion source. I love it that Cliff included a parametric mids control in the OD block, as it let's us get many different tones out of one model. :)
This is true. I have always liked a drive pedal in front of amp for my dirt tones. Amp distortion had never been my thing.

Please add a drive model for the Kay Fuzz. It has very unique clipping which can't be modeled exactly with the Axe. You can come close with the bit reduction knob, but I've spent hours and cannot replicate the exact tone like you can with other drives.

Same ole answer - when it's ready. I'm sure they're working hard to get it wrapped up - they may be trying to sort out the global link issue as well as the Axe Edit and Mac driver issues prior to releasing. The scope probably expanded a bit in the interim. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait - the firmware updates are the great bonus of this platform, which is why it's hard to remain patient for them. But be patient and you'll be rewarded with something great eventually. It's always a great step forward.

It has been very quiet around here lately from Fractal and the beta testers...that's probably a good sign...

Last edited:
That would be my guess too probably trying to solve some of the issues with Axe Edit. Anyway aside from the few bugs, 6.0 sounds so good, I don't mind waiting

Back
Top Bottom