Firmware 5 - New Dynamics Tab

I tried those settings. They work nice. I still can't really tell what the dynamics does. I like the motor a bit lower, it gets to sharp when it's too high. I don't get how you can run the speaker drive so high, all I get on the low E on high gain patches is farting noises :S

I tried those settings. They work nice. I still can't really tell what the dynamics does. I like the motor a bit lower, it gets to sharp when it's too high. I don't get how you can run the speaker drive so high, all I get on the low E on high gain patches is farting noises :S

What amp sims have you tried changing the Dynamics value on? I think it's quite a noticeable change on clean amps, such as the Fender sims. Dynamics value UP=more punchy, reacts more to soft/hard picking/strumming.

My regular amps, different Fenders, CAE 3+SE CH2 and Soldanos. I can tell it does something, but not enough for me to tell what. I pride myself on having quite good ears, but alot of these new parameters are just so very subtle. I wonder if Cliff should just set them to default values and hide them, I wouldn't be against that. The amount of parameters in the amp block is getting really silly.

EDIT: As far as I can hear (with headphones this time), it adds transients and attack. But as I said, it's a really small difference. I don't know if it does anything more. The DYNAMICS TIME parameter though, the jurys still out on that one :D

Last edited:
The amount of parameters in the amp block is getting really silly.
Now stop whining and wait for Radley's tutorials! :p ;)
You could just as well say it has been silly from the start, but noone "has to" go into the advanced pages...
It's just great they are there for the time you *do* need them. Cliff is probably hiding enough as is... ;)
As long as the defaults are good, no worries.
I do agree with your "feeling" but to me it's only motivating me to get some amp books, etc.

Last edited:
The amount of parameters in the amp block is getting really silly.

Not if you know what they do, how to use them, and are interested in going beyond the limits of what a tube amp can offer. Bring 'em on I say!

Those parameters are the keys to creating new tones and evolving from 100 year old technology ;-)

when i move these parameters to the left it seems to get louder, which direction is increasing the values, etc...?

when i move these parameters to the left it seems to get louder, which direction is increasing the values, etc...?
They increase as you turn knobs to the right. They won't increase volume as much they'll change volume envelope after initial attack. Motor drive can sound like it makes volume louder going left vs right, but pay more attention to what it's doing to dynamics, particularly low mids up to and past "noon" and also lows as you go higher. You'll hear it and figure it out, just keep listening.

hey scott, are these settings general for all styles of music? I'm a modern metal guy, does this stuff apply to that as well?

Back
Top Bottom