Firmware 18.04 is soooooo GOOD!

boogieman75

Experienced
WOW! I used to spend a ton of time tweaking one amp/preset, but with the latest rounds of firmware I am now addicted to 20 or more amps! They all sound killer now I can't decide which to play!....so many great tones with just an amp/cab block.

So my advice to the newcomers is try them all! I have yet to find a bad sounding amp/cab in this box!

I have found myself trying amps I couldn't jell with before. Particularly the Fender amps. With the new IR offerings I can safely say I get it. Marshall derived from Fender and the association makes so much sense to me now. 59 bassman, deluxe reverb, tweed deluxe...they are all AMAZING!

My biggest testimonial here is that I have always been a pedal guy to get overdrive. But I no longer feel the NEED to hit a drive block to get my sound. Now it's more of a different style of paintbrush to use! I use the drive block as an effect and not necessity because the amps sound sooooo good now!

Cliff and Co. thank you sooooo much for your unparalleled dedication to making this THE best unit on the market.

I don't agree. I tried 18.03 and 18.04 after Bug fix, not my thing. I'm back to 17.03, sounds much better for me.
I spend a lot of Time tweaking 18.03/04 no Chance to get the Sound of 17.03. It clips, its punchy and nasal with a lot of bass.

No that's not all. I'm happy if it would be so easy. The Problem is the Firmware itself, it sound not good sorry. Compared with the Versions before.

Great I notice everything is hotter and I noticed some amps do not need drive blocks.
I will revisit the fenders again some are in the 114 amps ive saved in Bank C.
So looking forward to hearing them again...

I noticed I had to re adjust some efx and amps and one efx which was fuzz face
I had to adjust that for quite awhile to sound right with my paf bridge guitar
and after spending more time I came up with an even better fuzz sound then before..
Oddly that worked with an ODS style amp which in real life would not play so well together
but with the ability to adjust everything I could just sculpt it too the guitar and it sounds great with
neck middle and bridge pickups so the final setting looked nothing like the earlier settings I had
with that pedal Drastic changes in that efx alone and it took 20 min to get it just perfect but
I could tell the eq of the efx seem to be more in depth now. I was not using the mids so much before
and that really nailed the sound I was chasing.. Now its consistent and it will sound great each time.

It takes some time to get things right but its worth it.
To those who are just getting this and starting 18.4 you are in the best position to master that
and make up every amp and efx you could dream of..

It cant be done in a day maybe 3 -6 amps per day might be realistic
I just got done doing 114 amps and have started in on those ..
Lots of fine tuning and adjustments but well worth the journey..

I use my own Presets and they work very well with the Firmware Versions before. I know how to tweak Presets, but the Sound Character of 18.03/04 is total different to 17.03 and sorry I don't like the Sound of this FW. I spend a lot of Time to get the Sound close to FW 17.03 but no Chance. I mean the BASIC Sound is different and it is NOT better than before.

While everyone's debating I thought I'd ask.....is it OK to mic the Stereo Ultra-Res IR? Tried with Vintage recto and other amps, Recto UR and other cabs. If leave mic at NONE, it sounds fine. If I use a mic or go to NULL....sounds awful.

Thanks for the answer.

While everyone's debating I thought I'd ask.....is it OK to mic the Stereo Ultra-Res IR? Tried with Vintage recto and other amps, Recto UR and other cabs. If leave mic at NONE, it sounds fine. If I use a mic or go to NULL....sounds awful.
If it makes your tone sound awful, it's not OK. :)

Dear Mr. Hellraiser, not to be offensive, but you are doing something wrong. 18 should not sound "nasal with a lot of bass" and it does not clip (I am using an XL +). Try reloading again. I dug 17 but 18 is no longer a "modeler"...it is the amp that is represented. It is that good! I strongly encourage you to try again or ask for assistance - it would be well worth the effort. Of course, your created patches may need to be adjusted.

I should really upgrade from v14, but I don't see the point since I'm pretty much set with my tones on v14. I seriously cannot be bothered to re-tweak once again because of a FW update.

Well....my question had more to do with...does everyone else notice this, assuming they checked? Is it a bug or were there firmware notes in the past stating don't do mic when using Stereo Ultra-Res?

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Hellraiser, not to be offensive, but you are doing something wrong. 18 should not sound "nasal with a lot of bass" and it does not clip (I am using an XL +). Try reloading again. I dug 17 but 18 is no longer a "modeler"...it is the amp that is represented. It is that good! I strongly encourage you to try again or ask for assistance - it would be well worth the effort. Of course, your created patches may need to be adjusted.

I have to try to reset, but if it does not change it, i must agree with the "nasal" comment. I've used Axe since 2009, so i know how to update. The "vintage" setting is much better, but still no cigar. Great feeling in FW18 ,but i get ear fatigue within a couple of hours. With FW17 i could play 5-6 hours with no stress. I've had this once before, but it don't remember the FW version. Probably 11 or twelve maybe. It's not an extreme thing, but it gets to me after a while. I'll probably stay on FW18 anyway. If i brigthen the patches it does a lot for clarity.

I should really upgrade from v14, but I don't see the point since I'm pretty much set with my tones on v14. I seriously cannot be bothered to re-tweak once again because of a FW update.

Probably wouldn't hurt to backup the system and give it a shot. Might be something there that you didn't know you were missing.

Back
Top Bottom