Firmware 11 Dynamics Demonstration

Dave Z

Inspired
Here's a video I did demonstrating the dynamics of firmware 11. I used a Brit 800 Mod amp tone, and a Steinberger guitar with Evans pickups.
I'm primarily a high gain/metal player, so I played the blues/hard rock style licks as best as I could in this video.

Enjoy!

Dave Z

Last edited:
The noise gate is set too aggressively so you are losing all your attack when you turn down the volume.

The noise gate is set too aggressively so you are losing all your attack when you turn down the volume.

Thanks for the advice, Cliff. This was a patch I downloaded, and I forgot about adjusting the noise gate settings.
I'll redo the video tonight with a less aggressive noise gate setting configured.

Dave Z

Good stuff!

What cab are you using here?

Thanks. Here's a link to the patch I used - Axe-Change - Download Preset - BRIT 800 MOd - by GuitarDojo
I changed the delay from tap tempo to 345 ms, raised the treble/presence slightly, and enabled the new low cut feature. Otherwise, everything else was left as is in the preset. It's a good preset for 80's rock tones.

I recorded a dry audio track with this video, so maybe I'll get lucky and be able to reamp it with a less aggressive noise gate setting. I'll upload the audio track to soundcloud as well.

Dave Z

you could also use an expression pedal to regulate the noise gate too, so it would play nice with the softer sounds

Thanks. I have no pedals, so I reamped the direct audio track used in the video back through the same patch with the noise gate disabled.
The video in the original post has been updated with this new audio.

Dave Z

Hear the difference? Sounded like you were using a volume swell effect before. Smart move recording the direct audio.

Hear the difference? Sounded like you were using a volume swell effect before. Smart move recording the direct audio.

Thanks Cliff, you're the man! I did notice the volume swell effect before, but I had no idea that the noise gate caused this. I still have a lot to learn about all of the different effects/capabilities of the Axe-Fx, and it is great that members of this community and yourself help out "gear noobs" like myself. Doing the reamp was fun, and it definitely saved me from having to do another recording.

Dave Z

Back
Top Bottom