Finally tried a Nutube amp

hippietim

Axe-Master
I was checking out a guitar and the dude had me plug into a Vox "rock" MV50 head into a Port City 2x12 cab. My expectations were low. Well. They were really, really low to be honest. I think my Crybaby weighs more - the head must have weighed like a pound.

Well, my expectations were exceeded big time. It certainly wasn't the best amp I've ever played through but I've played through amps that cost 10-20x more that didn't sound as good. For $199, if I were still gigging with a tube amp one of these as a backup would be a total no brainer.

I've had one of the new Tube Screamers with a Nutube on order since NAMM (I'm just a sucker for a TS). I was sort of getting it just to get it, now I'm actually looking forward to it.

I'm very curious to see where this technology goes. Are there interesting ways to integrate it with DSPs for new sounds? Could someone use some arrays of these to create a polyphonic amp for guitars that have divided pickups? It's probably a tough sell for the purists, but I think for people open to exploring some new ideas - who knows?

Never tried one of those Tim. Now I'm curious. I have a little Orange 35RT with an effects send/return that I use for small stuff, but some of my guitar students keep looking for a good small amp solution. Next time I journey to the civilized world, I'll see if I can find one to check out.

The Guitoligist on you tube is playing with a couple these that Korg sent him and he's allowing us to go along for the ride. He's just posted his first video with them in the last week or so and has only tried them in a headphone amp test circuit. He's a very capable amp tech and i'm sure he'll be doing something fun with them as his series evolves.

Guitar player from a band we played a show with recently had one playing through a Marshall 4x12. Sounded fantastic

Back
Top Bottom