Finally got the rig together

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Finally got my MFC after a few months wait, so its was time to put it all together for live use. Took it to our rehearsal space on an off night and fired it up. Dialed in my main crunch and heavy crunch rhythm and lead tones using the Splawn Quickrod 2nd and 3rd gear models. Took my time and took many breaks to avoid ear fatigue. Output 2 is going to the Carvin poweramp and Recto cab. Output 1 has a RedWirez Recto cab with a 57 on cone edge and goes to FOH. Had our sound guy on hand and he ran it through our system and gave it a big thumbs up. One less mic on stage. :) And I can control my stage volume without fear of messing up the FOH send.

Now I just have to dial in special purpose or song based patches with effects, and make my amp blocks global. Hope to have it all ready for our show next Friday. If all goes well, there will be video. Loving what I'm hearing and feeling with this.

tsyGGxU.jpg

Will do. Should be business as usual. The Axe/MFC works a lot like what I'm used to. Tone is every bit as good or better than what I'm used to. And if the video turns out well, I'll post some of that.

Nope. I sold the Kemper, hoping to avoid the eBay rush for people, like myself, who wanted a powered unit. Powered units only recently started shipping. Needed something in the meantime and went Axe to see if FW10 lived up to the hype. It did. Keeping the Axe. Will investigate Kemper maybe in its second generation.

I agree- FW10 has kept me out of the local shop long enough that the sales force thought something bad happened to me...seriously...I have never "enjoyed" playing guitar more. Now I need an MFC- how is it treating you? I know your past experience with one wasn't entirely positive in all aspects of function...

Lovin' that rig! Very similar to what I had in mind for mine. I had a DCM200L but shipped it back in exchange for the DCM1540L. Was looking at the Mesa Vertical 2x12 slant cab so it would cure my need for a "real" guitar cab for certain tones, but I have an active CLR on the way :S

You have cab/mic sims off for output 2 and obviously sims on for output 1 (FOH)?

Now I need an MFC- how is it treating you? I know your past experience with one wasn't entirely positive in all aspects of function...

So far, so good. Granted, I'm not sending out bunches of CC's for switching loops/channels on an amp/loop switcher like I was that last time. And I gather that Fractal did fix a bug in that regard...something about MIDI data coming back to the MFC that was causing delays. But since I'm not doing anything overly complicated, it's all good. I have the bottom row of switches set to Scenes 1-5 on Reveal. And that's how I'm going to lead or alternate, effected tones within the same patch. Works great.

You have cab/mic sims off for output 2 and obviously sims on for output 1 (FOH)?

Exactly. I have Redwirez Recto cab on the FOH send. Sound guy and I could not tell the difference between that and mic'ing the real cab.

Karl, that looks real nice. What is in the blue area? It looks like open space with blue LED's..... Looks cool anyway. I am drawn to the flashy lights.... LOL... :stupid:

It's just a 1U vented rack blank. I don't have anything else to put there, and I probably don't need ventilation, but never hurts. I put the LED strips in there because I had them laying around. Looks really cool in dim lighting.

Update from rehearsal last night. Pretty much a glowing success with the full band. I had spent the better part of the previous evening putting together song-specific patches and tinkering a little here and there with my base tones. The only slight issues I have are with my solo boost levels being too quiet...levels in general with the effects confuse me a bit. There are too many things that can cause your tone to get quieter. Not sure why I don't have that problem with any other unit. Might be that I need to run my delays in parallel.

Other than those small items, it sounds great. Our singer said it sounded awesome, although not really any different than the other rig. And that's good news because the other rig was a tube amp with a pedal in front of it. It definitely sounds and feels a little different to me, but in a very good way. We'll see how it is cranked up through the PA and monitors this weekend!

Edit: yep...it's my stupid fault on the levels with the delays. Consulted the wiki and found I must do parallel routing. The GT-10 basically does this for you because the delays really are mixed in parallel by default. Will make that change tonight!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom