FM9 Finally! got my Super Reverb patch happening

Cainer

Experienced
Here's a bunch of Super-verb model tones I've been working on - used TS808 and Fuzzface drives at times, but mostly it's just pickup changes and volume knob to switch the tones. Spring Reverb stayed on throughout. This thing is super dynamic and responds well to changes you make on the guitar, which I love. Those cleaned up tones are just sweet - Still want to tweak a few things, but it's sounding legit I think. Apologies for tuning issues - these were new strings - no charge for mistakes lol This was recorded loud ;)

It took me a while to get the FM9 sounding how I wanted - but I'm convinced I did something boneheaded on some setting early on that caused my own problem. At gig volume the Fender models (Superverb and Vibroverb are my go-to's) were sounding just glass-shatteringly harsh, and when I compared it to my AX8 through the same amplification, it was way off. So I worked to dial out the harshness, which seemed to be centered around 2k, and thinking I'd succeeded via EQs and shaving the top end off the speaker impedance curve, finally tried it on a gig - well it sounded dull and lifeless and I was super disappointed.
So I finally found some time to rent a studio space to crank it up and try it out, and once I'd undone the changes I'd made with the speaker impedance curve, it sounded killer! So I'm not exactly sure what was the issue before, but it sounds awesome now! So into live duty it goes starting this Saturday, and I'm also gonna start working on some studio tones for my next album/EP.

Also did some Plexi tone-work which I'll try and get up online at some point. The Plexi 50w is just a joy to play!

Difference between the FM9 and AX8? Well, that's hard to say exactly, but I would say the FM9 just feels like there's more juice in the lemon if that makes sense lol Also seemed to have a bit more punch in the sternum, but that could come down to EQ. In the high-end I would say it's got a little more character or pleasing complexity in it than the AX8 had - specifically in this video at about 50 seconds in doing that Stevie thing on the minor 3rd it really sounds more textured and full whereas the AX9 was a touch thinner. Overall I'd say it just sounds like there's more going on - people say stuff like "3d" or whatever, but yeah it sounds like they've just managed to get a higher resolution picture of the tone.

But hey, I loved the AX8, so not slagging it! I'm excited to get the FM9 out on some gigs and really get to know it. I will say that, since my laptop died and I had to do all my programming and tweaking on the unit itself, the FM9 is MILES beyond the AX8 in intuitive useability!

Guitar is a '93 strat - Rocketfire Total 60s pickups, was using an EV ELX-112p for amplification.

Gary, I always love your content. Thanks so much for this! You're a real asset to our community and our brand.
A lot of people these days have mastered dextrous playing, but they somehow leave me flat. When I listen to you, on the other hand, I picture a little kid riding a tricycle down a black diamond ski slope with a devilish smile and a WooHOOOO!!!!

Last edited:
Here's a bunch of Super-verb model tones I've been working on - used TS808 and Fuzzface drives at times, but mostly it's just pickup changes and volume knob to switch the tones. Spring Reverb stayed on throughout. This thing is super dynamic and responds well to changes you make on the guitar, which I love. Those cleaned up tones are just sweet - Still want to tweak a few things, but it's sounding legit I think. Apologies for tuning issues - these were new strings - no charge for mistakes lol This was recorded loud ;)

It took me a while to get the FM9 sounding how I wanted - but I'm convinced I did something boneheaded on some setting early on that caused my own problem. At gig volume the Fender models (Superverb and Vibroverb are my go-to's) were sounding just glass-shatteringly harsh, and when I compared it to my AX8 through the same amplification, it was way off. So I worked to dial out the harshness, which seemed to be centered around 2k, and thinking I'd succeeded via EQs and shaving the top end off the speaker impedance curve, finally tried it on a gig - well it sounded dull and lifeless and I was super disappointed.
So I finally found some time to rent a studio space to crank it up and try it out, and once I'd undone the changes I'd made with the speaker impedance curve, it sounded killer! So I'm not exactly sure what was the issue before, but it sounds awesome now! So into live duty it goes starting this Saturday, and I'm also gonna start working on some studio tones for my next album/EP.

Also did some Plexi tone-work which I'll try and get up online at some point. The Plexi 50w is just a joy to play!

Difference between the FM9 and AX8? Well, that's hard to say exactly, but I would say the FM9 just feels like there's more juice in the lemon if that makes sense lol Also seemed to have a bit more punch in the sternum, but that could come down to EQ. In the high-end I would say it's got a little more character or pleasing complexity in it than the AX8 had - specifically in this video at about 50 seconds in doing that Stevie thing on the minor 3rd it really sounds more textured and full whereas the AX9 was a touch thinner. Overall I'd say it just sounds like there's more going on - people say stuff like "3d" or whatever, but yeah it sounds like they've just managed to get a higher resolution picture of the tone.

But hey, I loved the AX8, so not slagging it! I'm excited to get the FM9 out on some gigs and really get to know it. I will say that, since my laptop died and I had to do all my programming and tweaking on the unit itself, the FM9 is MILES beyond the AX8 in intuitive useability!

Guitar is a '93 strat - Rocketfire Total 60s pickups, was using an EV ELX-112p for amplification.

any chance you can share the preset? Sounds awesome

any chance you can share the preset? Sounds awesome
i'm using some 3rd party IRs so can't share this one, but I'll be putting some presets with factory IR's up once I get everything tweaked. Unfortunately other than gigs, I don't often get the opportunity to crank things up to tweak them for a live volume level, so I often end up going with what I know works already.

If you want to get it close, my advice with the Super Reverb model is keep the bass at like 2-3, mids around 6, and treble around 9, volume between 6-9. That amp sounds sweetest when the treble is pushed, as counter-intuitive as it might sound. I also usually roll off anything above 6.5k and under 80-ish Hz. Being able to solo the bands in the EQ block is really helpful in hearing what you're dialing out. Try those Ownhammer 1x12 DLX cab IRs too - they're pretty good.

Tyler Grund's JBL IRs are great for Super REverb tones - you can find them here: http://www.tylergrund.com/axefx2/

@Cainer those are some great tones. That gives me hope that I will be able to dial some of those same tones in on my FM9. Those are very good and similar to the tones I typically play.

This sounds incredible!! What third party IRs are you using? Can you still share your presets regardless?

Here's the preset - it uses Tyler Grund's Ultra Res E130 IR, which you'll need to download from here: http://www.tylergrund.com/axefx2/ and put in the Cab 1 slot (replace the Factory #222 cab). I've got my hi/low-cut settings on it already in the cab block. The second cab in there the 1x12 DLX IR I use sometimes, but usually it's just muted.

I realize that's an extra step, but I'd rather people get Tyler's IR directly from his site - you can send him a donation on that page if you really dig it.

Enjoy - I'd be interested to hear some clips from other players so post 'em if you've got 'em ;)

Attachments

• Gary Cain Super FM9.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 389
At about :26 seconds I get the Biggest smile!!! DANG!
Just watching and hearing you play, brings me joy!!
Great tone too, my wife was listening in the background... Who is that?! :)

Last edited:
I have to say I love this preset and thank you for sharing. I don't use others presets much, and usually roll my own, but had to check this out cuz I love listening to you play. It's been a few weeks now trying it out. It is exactly what I want my FM9 to be when I take it out to jam. Simple, effective, and you have it all tuned killer! - for my setup anyhow. I didn't touch a thing besides add my Wah and Volume blocks. I just live on the per preset view you setup and can cover it all. The twin just kills in a live mix, especially this one. I ran an output 3 pre-cab to a real 1965A and it is glorious! So inspiring with this latest firmware.. The direct out is killer too! Thank you for sharing!

Would love to hear this direct too, but what a great sound live in the room!
it's weird, but my best 'direct' recording tones have rarely translated to live. I always have two different sets of patches, live and recording. Of course when recording I tend to make a lot of different patches and tones, whereas live i'll use maybe 3 presets all night, and 80% of that will be on my main preset.
there are some general principles to watch, like the Fletcher-Munson curve etc. when dialing in for live, and variables like the amplification you're using etc. but there's a certain amount of just trial and error and hopefully at some point you can say "ah, THERE it is". My best success has been dialing things in like I would a real amp, real pedals etc. then trying to make tweaks to address specific (hopefully minor) issues from there.

Weirdly enough, the amp in the unit I've had the easiest time dialing in is one I've never owned, the Plexi 50. I do own a '66 Super Reverb though, so that's sort of where my heart lies tonally ;)

it's weird, but my best 'direct' recording tones have rarely translated to live. I always have two different sets of patches, live and recording. Of course when recording I tend to make a lot of different patches and tones, whereas live i'll use maybe 3 presets all night, and 80% of that will be on my main preset.
there are some general principles to watch, like the Fletcher-Munson curve etc. when dialing in for live, and variables like the amplification you're using etc. but there's a certain amount of just trial and error and hopefully at some point you can say "ah, THERE it is". My best success has been dialing things in like I would a real amp, real pedals etc. then trying to make tweaks to address specific (hopefully minor) issues from there.

Weirdly enough, the amp in the unit I've had the easiest time dialing in is one I've never owned, the Plexi 50. I do own a '66 Super Reverb though, so that's sort of where my heart lies tonally ;)
Definitely. I've experienced that, too.

Back
Top Bottom