FM9 Finally! got my Super Reverb patch happening

WOW!!!! I really don't know what else to say. Have you ever heard of this guy out of Texas named Stevie Ray Vaughn? You've got such a great feel for that type of music! I wish I could pull it off as authentically as you just did in the video.

I've spent a little time recently focusing on refining my blues tone, on the Super Reverb, by setting the treble to where it's bright and snappy but not harsh.

I found that I like the high treble off or near off. You can still keep a bright switch on and treble/presence pushed a bit (if you choose), but reducing the high treble sounds similar to a low-pass filter (which I am also experimenting with).

I have an SSS style tube amp as my benchmark. It has way more mids than a Super, but I set it to run like a Super regardless.

Here's the preset
Thank you very much for this! Can't wait to try this out. Can you please post a screenshot of the layout? I'm using FM3, and it breaks the layout when importing. The CPU usage is fine but links are broken, so a screenshot is enough to restore it on FM3 :) Thanks again!

WOW!!!! I really don't know what else to say. Have you ever heard of this guy out of Texas named Stevie Ray Vaughn? You've got such a great feel for that type of music! I wish I could pull it off as authentically as you just did in the video.
ha - he sounds like he might be worth checking out!

Thank you very much for this! Can't wait to try this out. Can you please post a screenshot of the layout? I'm using FM3, and it breaks the layout when importing. The CPU usage is fine but links are broken, so a screenshot is enough to restore it on FM3 :) Thanks again!
hey - sorry I missed your message somehow - here's a screenshot of it - it's been a while - but I think this is the same preset. In any case the layout should be the same or similar.
Capture.JPG

Here's the preset - it uses Tyler Grund's Ultra Res E130 IR, which you'll need to download from here: http://www.tylergrund.com/axefx2/ and put in the Cab 1 slot (replace the Factory #222 cab). I've got my hi/low-cut settings on it already in the cab block. The second cab in there the 1x12 DLX IR I use sometimes, but usually it's just muted.
Can you please post a screenshot of the layout? I'm using FM3, and it breaks the layout when importing. The CPU usage is fine but links are broken, so a screenshot is enough to restore it on FM3
Here's the preset collapsed to fit the FM3, with the Cab block IRs reduced to Standard resolution to give the FM3 some breathing space.

I haven't tested it on mine, but from working with the preset previously it should work fine.

Attachments

• FM3-Gary Cain Super.syx.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 72
Gary, many, many thanks for sharing !!!! Your playing is.. mpffffff... outstanding, already watched some vids before.

I'm not a Strat man, but those tones - and playing not least - are seriously great. I'd rather listen to this than SRV.

I will try your preset with my Les Paul.

Cheers
Søren

Stumbled over this and very happy I did. What fantastic playing and tone. Made me go and listen to your album. It's really great to hear modern blues players with refreshing takes on the blues. I regret that I'm not in TX to hear you play live.

Stumbled over this and very happy I did. What fantastic playing and tone. Made me go and listen to your album. It's really great to hear modern blues players with refreshing takes on the blues. I regret that I'm not in TX to hear you play live.
thanks - very nice of you!

Here's a bunch of Super-verb model tones I've been working on - used TS808 and Fuzzface drives at times, but mostly it's just pickup changes and volume knob to switch the tones. Spring Reverb stayed on throughout. This thing is super dynamic and responds well to changes you make on the guitar, which I love. Those cleaned up tones are just sweet - Still want to tweak a few things, but it's sounding legit I think. Apologies for tuning issues - these were new strings - no charge for mistakes lol This was recorded loud ;)

It took me a while to get the FM9 sounding how I wanted - but I'm convinced I did something boneheaded on some setting early on that caused my own problem. At gig volume the Fender models (Superverb and Vibroverb are my go-to's) were sounding just glass-shatteringly harsh, and when I compared it to my AX8 through the same amplification, it was way off. So I worked to dial out the harshness, which seemed to be centered around 2k, and thinking I'd succeeded via EQs and shaving the top end off the speaker impedance curve, finally tried it on a gig - well it sounded dull and lifeless and I was super disappointed.
So I finally found some time to rent a studio space to crank it up and try it out, and once I'd undone the changes I'd made with the speaker impedance curve, it sounded killer! So I'm not exactly sure what was the issue before, but it sounds awesome now! So into live duty it goes starting this Saturday, and I'm also gonna start working on some studio tones for my next album/EP.

Also did some Plexi tone-work which I'll try and get up online at some point. The Plexi 50w is just a joy to play!

Difference between the FM9 and AX8? Well, that's hard to say exactly, but I would say the FM9 just feels like there's more juice in the lemon if that makes sense lol Also seemed to have a bit more punch in the sternum, but that could come down to EQ. In the high-end I would say it's got a little more character or pleasing complexity in it than the AX8 had - specifically in this video at about 50 seconds in doing that Stevie thing on the minor 3rd it really sounds more textured and full whereas the AX9 was a touch thinner. Overall I'd say it just sounds like there's more going on - people say stuff like "3d" or whatever, but yeah it sounds like they've just managed to get a higher resolution picture of the tone.

But hey, I loved the AX8, so not slagging it! I'm excited to get the FM9 out on some gigs and really get to know it. I will say that, since my laptop died and I had to do all my programming and tweaking on the unit itself, the FM9 is MILES beyond the AX8 in intuitive useability!

Guitar is a '93 strat - Rocketfire Total 60s pickups, was using an EV ELX-112p for amplification.

That sounds seriously good, like really impressed

Thank you for sharing the preset, can't wait to try it.

Here's a bunch of Super-verb model tones I've been working on - used TS808 and Fuzzface drives at times, but mostly it's just pickup changes and volume knob to switch the tones. Spring Reverb stayed on throughout. This thing is super dynamic and responds well to changes you make on the guitar, which I love. Those cleaned up tones are just sweet - Still want to tweak a few things, but it's sounding legit I think. Apologies for tuning issues - these were new strings - no charge for mistakes lol This was recorded loud ;)

It took me a while to get the FM9 sounding how I wanted - but I'm convinced I did something boneheaded on some setting early on that caused my own problem. At gig volume the Fender models (Superverb and Vibroverb are my go-to's) were sounding just glass-shatteringly harsh, and when I compared it to my AX8 through the same amplification, it was way off. So I worked to dial out the harshness, which seemed to be centered around 2k, and thinking I'd succeeded via EQs and shaving the top end off the speaker impedance curve, finally tried it on a gig - well it sounded dull and lifeless and I was super disappointed.
So I finally found some time to rent a studio space to crank it up and try it out, and once I'd undone the changes I'd made with the speaker impedance curve, it sounded killer! So I'm not exactly sure what was the issue before, but it sounds awesome now! So into live duty it goes starting this Saturday, and I'm also gonna start working on some studio tones for my next album/EP.

Also did some Plexi tone-work which I'll try and get up online at some point. The Plexi 50w is just a joy to play!

Difference between the FM9 and AX8? Well, that's hard to say exactly, but I would say the FM9 just feels like there's more juice in the lemon if that makes sense lol Also seemed to have a bit more punch in the sternum, but that could come down to EQ. In the high-end I would say it's got a little more character or pleasing complexity in it than the AX8 had - specifically in this video at about 50 seconds in doing that Stevie thing on the minor 3rd it really sounds more textured and full whereas the AX9 was a touch thinner. Overall I'd say it just sounds like there's more going on - people say stuff like "3d" or whatever, but yeah it sounds like they've just managed to get a higher resolution picture of the tone.

But hey, I loved the AX8, so not slagging it! I'm excited to get the FM9 out on some gigs and really get to know it. I will say that, since my laptop died and I had to do all my programming and tweaking on the unit itself, the FM9 is MILES beyond the AX8 in intuitive useability!

Guitar is a '93 strat - Rocketfire Total 60s pickups, was using an EV ELX-112p for amplification.

will these work for an FM3? Sounds killer!!!

OH Yeah haha! Rockit. Same experience (on my little level).... these sims really get alive once you really crank' em up.

Back
Top Bottom