Finally got my guitars re-stringed

If you can put fuel in your car, you can restring your guitar.

Be flippin’ careful!!!

DANGER

Doc Brown Shock GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

the screws,
There are no screws to deal with on a Les Paul for a simple string change.
tools you need
A pair of side-cutters
There is no 'etc.' Well, unless you insist on using a string stretcher. But it's not needed.

Oh and I'm curious if for that $153, did he at least lube your nut slots? What about polishing the guitar and conditioning the fretboard? (I forgot about a microfiber cloth. That is a "tool" you'd need if you're like me, and use string changes as the time to clean your guitar.)

Man, I miss working next to Gary's shop. He took such great care of my guitars. And the whole crew was just super nice to chat with.
Yeah, Gary is great. We once talked pre-COVID about doing a hands-on class where a dozen or so folks get a guitar and learn how to do most standard maintenance tasks.

There are no screws to deal with on a Les Paul for a simple string change.

A pair of side-cutters

There is no 'etc.' Well, unless you insist on using a string stretcher. But it's not needed.

Oh and I'm curious if for that $153, did he at least lube your nut slots? What about polishing the guitar and conditioning the fretboard? (I forgot about a microfiber cloth. That is a "tool" you'd need if you're like me, and use string changes as the time to clean your guitar.)
Better have done intonation as well!

Do people actually not learn how to re-string a guitar? Like... that's a real thing? Isn't that just table-stakes when you buy your first guitar?

Actually, it is a real thing to some extent. In the early nineties I managed a music store, and we did quite a few restrings every week. Typically it tended to be beginners who hadn’t learned how yet (which I always offered to teach them while I was doing it), or parents bringing in their young kid’s guitar. But there was the occasional person who simply didn’t want to do it and was okay with paying a bit extra to have it done.

Do people actually not learn how to re-string a guitar? Like... that's a real thing? Isn't that just table-stakes when you buy your first guitar?
My first guitar teacher on day one taught me how to restring my guitar (Yamaha dreadnought). That was my very first guitar lesson. Afterwards he showed me how to hold my pick, how to position my fretting hand, and the notes on the high E string. 😂

For only $750.99 I can install Sperzel tuners on your guitar. You should be able to change your own strings with those.

Oregon has FINALLY let customers pump their own gas! Took a pandemic and labor shortages or something to get that in place.

I do wonder if some natives (not that there are many) might feel intimidated.

I live in Washington. It is hilarious (and not at all kind) to watch an Oregonian pull up to a gas pump here and wait, give up, get out of the car, and start wandering around in abject bafflement. To be fair, it's been a while since I've seen that.

Back
Top Bottom