Finally got my guitars re-stringed

dsouza

Experienced
It’s amazing my Fender Strat had 5 month old elixir coated strings on it and only started going out of tune and sounding bad this month.

My Slash Gibson LP had factory strings on it and in less than two months or part time play started going out of tune and sounding flat.

I had elixir 9-42 and 10-46 put on the guitars by Cosmo music and they charged me $40 CAD for the strings for both guitars plus $100 labour. The guy was nice enough to do the changes on the spot.

The bill came to $153 CAD or so but these strings should last until Jan 2024 with only 1-3 hrs of play most days of the week on each of the guitars.

Does anyone know why LP’s go out of tune faster than strats? He said it had something to do with the neck on the Slash Gibson LP’s being bent backwards that make them difficult to stay in tune compared to most guitars.

Anyways it was a welcome treat to get these elixirs. I would highly recommend them for people who don’t like changing string’s frequently!

You should really learn how to restring your guitars yourself. There are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how incredibly easy this is.
You know there is truth to this. I just can't imagine fu*king up my new guitars with my lack of experience changing up the strings (the screws, tools you need etc).
Since I only change them 3-4 x year to me it is no big deal to get a guitar workman to do it for me.
One thing I CAN do right now is buy a 10 pack of Elixir strings for each of the guitars to save on guitar string cost. That way I only pay for labour.

You know there is truth to this. I just can't imagine fu*king up my new guitars with my lack of experience changing up the strings (the screws, tools you need etc).
Since I only change them 3-4 x year to me it is no big deal to get a guitar workman to do it for me.
One thing I CAN do right now is buy a 10 pack of Elixir strings for each of the guitars to save on guitar string cost. That way I only pay for labour.

To be honest… I’ve never seen this level of fear in a man before.

The Phantom Menace Fear GIF by Star Wars

I had elixir 9-42 and 10-46 put on the guitars by Cosmo music and they charged me $40 CAD for the strings for both guitars plus $100 labour.
YouTube is your friend. $100 is an absolute ripoff for restringing two guitars. The money you would have saved could have been used to take one of those hot models out to dinner.

I'd strongly recommend learning how to do your own guitar maintenance basics, especially restringing. If you're playing somewhere and a string breaks, will you stop playing and go to the shop?

I periodically give my guitars their own personalized spa days, which includes a good scrubbing, checking all the screws, possibly poking around in the wiring or a quick squirt of cleaner in the pots if they've been a bit noisy, and restringing and checking the intonation. It takes maybe an hour per guitar.

It is so simple you really can't f' up your guitar. But if you are worried about it then go pickup a cheap $250 guitar and practice maintenance on that (it is much less than your next 3 string changes).

Then you can also practice things like bridge adjustments, intonation, truss rod adjustment, etc. You know all the normal guitar maintenance that any serious guitarist learns how to do. Over the years you will save thousands and learn how to setup your guitars the way you like. The models will be impressed with your ability to be a true Axe Man. I even do my own fret work and have for like 25 years now. I definitely practiced that skill on a cheap guitar until I was confident to do it on my others.

Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish .... etc.

Man, I miss working next to Gary's shop. He took such great care of my guitars. And the whole crew was just super nice to chat with.

A buddy of mine has a guitar there for a tuneup… Six months… We have a running joke that I’ve had two guitars built from sticks in that same time. Quality takes time.

Back
Top Bottom