Finally got around to my own Strandberg.

Stainless is quite stiff and springy so I suggest the same radius as the fingerboard or only slightly over bent . More is good with nickel frets though.

I think not all SS frets are created equal. Is there a way to quantify the quality, i.e. resilience against string wear? For example, I'm not impressed with the SS frets on my LTD but very happy with my Schecter Exotic. Both are MIK.

@Henry You are correct that not all stainless steel is the same or of the same quality. The only way to know the quality would be to find out exactly which fret wire is used or to test a sample of the steel (which would require destruction of a fret).

I think not all SS frets are created equal. Is there a way to quantify the quality, i.e. resilience against string wear? For example, I'm not impressed with the SS frets on my LTD but very happy with my Schecter Exotic. Both are MIK.
Very true , My personal favourite is Jescar but nothing is anywhere near as hard as the old tangless Parker wire.

Evo is for when you want gold frets. It’s tougher than nickel silver, but not as tough as stainless steel. The material was originally used for eyeglass frames, which must be durable and dimensionally stable.

Evo is for when you want gold frets. It’s tougher than nickel silver, but not as tough as stainless steel. The material was originally used for eyeglass frames, which must be durable and dimensionally stable.
Yes Gold is the only point of it.

Back
Top Bottom