Finally buying a semi hollowbody-but...need clarity about wood

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Hi
Finally breaking down (18 months later) and buying a semi hollow body-for some jazzy blues stuff and such. Strat still my main guitar.
I decided after a ton of research to get the Ibanez AM153-smallish body compared to es 335, even smaller than es 339. but my issue is the wood. The laminate on the most of the Ibanez AS and Am's is flame maple top\back\sides. My choice, the The Am153 is Figured Bubinga top/back/sides.

My research concludes it is warmer and more sustain. But is this a cheaper wood or just a different approach for the body. The Am Body is smaller by about 10% , so I am wondering if this was the reason for Ibanez's choice of wood for it.
Thank Guys
Frank

...my issue is the wood. The laminate on the most of the Ibanez AS and Am's is flame maple top\back\sides. My choice, the The Am153 is Figured Bubinga top/back/sides.

My research concludes it is warmer and more sustain. But is this a cheaper wood or just a different approach for the body.
What's your goal: expensive wood or the guitar whose sound you like the best? Price is easy to judge. When it comes to sound, the only judge worth anything is your own ears. The guitar's pickups and construction will have a bigger effect on tone than the wood will have.

You say your research concludes it's warmer and has more sustain. If your research involves reading online reviews, take that with a grain of salt. There's a notoriously high level of confusion and BS in that arena.

Hey Rex

Problem is no one has one I can play. I only mention "cheap" equating that to the tone....I found someone very close with the as153 , maple...so I am going to try that out today.
Thanks for the quick reply-yes sound is it...but only if you can play it-youtube is a poor judge as you well know.
Thanks again
Frank

I am needing to stay $1,000 or less. I am a Strat guy for 25+ years but just want a descent semi HB without giving Gibson my house.
But the Yamahas look real and read real nice for sure.
Thanks for the input
Frank

Hey Rex

Problem is no one has one I can play. I only mention "cheap" equating that to the tone....I found someone very close with the as153 , maple...so I am going to try that out today.
Thanks for the quick reply-yes sound is it...but only if you can play it-youtube is a poor judge as you well know.
Thanks again
Frank
As poor a judge as YouTube is, online reviews are worse. If you can't get your hands on a guitar to play it, buying one is a crap shoot. Men have been driven mad pursuing the guitar that looks "best" on paper.

Ibanez Artcore models that I've seen have been consistently good and moderately priced. Pick one that looks good to you and has the features you want. Don't sweat the wood, or any preconceived notions about what you're supposed to like. Once you have a good semi-hollow in our hands, you can choose your next one at your own pace, based on your own ears and hands.

My choice, the The Am153 is Figured Bubinga top/back/sides.

My old worship pastor had this guitar. It was full of sustain and deep tones. With any hollowbody, you have the risk of heavy feedback if you're wide open/high gain. From what I remember this guitar was a perfect weight and a solid fretboard.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AM153DBS

Ibanez Artstar/core's are solid guitars, I naturally am a freak for those ;) . Ironically enough, I own no more Ibanez's at this time... Sad story, life happens. Good luck Stratman, you have my support!

Hey Guys
Found a store that I didn't expect to. Had two as153's and 1 am93. Turned out a guy I knew from a different location worked there.
He put new strings on the am93 and both the as153 for me also-nice guy all around. Anyway played both thru a fender twin in the shop for about 2 1/2 hours. The am93 just felt much more comfortable. I wanted to like the as153's better because of the ebony fretboard and the bone nut but I couldn't. just didn't compare for me-playing wise. They all sounded the same and were all built OK-

I have 30 days and it's a local store. Got a real good deal....so far so good. I am hoping I can meld with the pups and the plastic nut. Fretboard is perfect even w/o the extra fret edge attention.
I already love the neck and playability so no problems - just mentioned the pups and nut because if I can improve on things I will.....It's a keeper is why...

Thanks so much for the great replies.......I will post back if things change

Frank

Last edited:
Congratulations!

That, my friends, is how it's supposed to work. A month of online research wouldn't have led you th that conclusion with that level of confidence.

One of the most precise and beautiful guitars I have ever owned was an Ibanez Artcore AS 103 NT. Very reasonable running about 600.00 used on the street. Here is one in action. The guitar was stunning.

One of the most precise and beautiful guitars I have ever owned was an Ibanez Artcore AS 103 NT. Very reasonable running about 600.00 used on the street. Here is one in action. The guitar was stunning.

Nice for sure............

Congratulations!

That, my friends, is how it's supposed to work. A month of online research wouldn't have led you th that conclusion with that level of confidence.

Rex
online got me many personal opinions.eh...The online research was good for one thing though.. all the specs of the different models-from woods to dimensions etc. I went over many of them, quite a few times so at least I knew

******But you are so correct those 2 1/2 hours in the store were the real deal....you guys helped also-trust me...I know I can be "intense" at times but I will always try my best to understand and use the advice I get here from most everyone

Of course it helps a bit more when I am familiar with the repliers-like I am here

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom