Finally about to upgrade from the Axe Ultra to the Axe II

DraggAmps

Hey guys,

I've been a fan of Fractal for a few years now and have loved my Ultra. Not every patch or amp model sounds great - in fact, I only tend to have about 10 or 20 patches at a time that I consider useable live and only maybe 5 that I think sound really good and pretty nearly indistinguishable from a tube tone - however, I still think the Ultra is a pretty amazing unit for what it is and is very usable live, especially with a power amp and cab. Back when I used a traditional cab and power amp, I was actually very satisfied but the problem was that every patch sounded very similar since they're all going to sound a lot like the cab their coming out of. It's nearly impossible to get a convincing Fender tone through Vintage 30's. But later I went FRFR and now use a Matrix Q12a, and while that opened up the world of IR's and I was able to get MUCH more varied tones through the use of different cab models, I always felt it didn't have quite a convincing enough feel and tone.

Some areas are better than others (if all I needed was a few good high gain patches, or progressive metal tones, I would probably be satisfied), but overall I've really wanted to upgrade for a while and I'm hoping that the tones will be on a whole new level. I just wanted to write this in part because I'm excited to get my new Axe II now that my name has finally come up on the list, but also to see what kind of responses I'd get. Part of me is still relatively satisfied with the Ultra and I kind of need a "push" to get me to finalize my order. I've still never actually played an Axe II or heard one in person except for hearing bands live. I just wonder if the tone and feel is really a huge upgrade, or if a well dialed Ultra patch is pretty comparable to the II in terms of raw guitar tones.

I'm hoping it's a truly profound difference and not just mostly about features and usability with modest tonal upgrades. For those who have used or heard both, especially those who have actually used an Ultra and directly compared it with recent Axe II firmware releases, I'd like to hear your opinions. I'm especially hoping to hear that things like the "in the room" tones you can get (even with FRFR) are much improved, that most or all amp models are good or great (not just a select few), that great tones are easier to get and don't require hours and hours of tweaking just to get to a useable place, etc. I appreciate any comments and opinions. I'm hoping to hear I will notice a major upgrade, especially in the feel and tone departments, and I'm hoping your comments will be the "push" I need to go ahead and pull the trigger now that my name is up on the list.

I think you will be in for a surprise.
I got the Axe Fx II pretty much when it came out 1.xx and right then and there it was a night and day difference between that and the Ultra/Standard and now we are at firmware 15.xx and thats a night and day difference from 1.xx.

But I have to say I sold my Standard 4 months ago I had not used it in well over a year, so needless to say I tested it. I was really digging it allot!

As a long time owner of a Standard and then a II, I strongly suggest if you get a II, get the extended warranty. I won't comment on the tone or feel differences as they are too subjective: others will.

boogie

Had the ULTRA. Sounded great especially with the MATRIX poweramp. Got the XL. Huge difference for me. Big step forward. Never looked back.

I had the Ultra, then the II and now the XL. You know in your heart that you can't go wrong with this purchase like this. Thousands of happy campers, who all sing the praises of a device that does so much. Almost everyone is buying one, I can guarantee that all or most musicians know about its abilities now. The models are so extremely close to the real thing that its scarey. So Jump, what are you waiting for.

Had ultra also sounded great but axe fxII will knock your socks off, so put on your buster browns and tie them up tight

The II is far superior to the Ultra in regards to raw amp tone. You will notice the improvement, in both tone and feel. I still use the Ultra live, but only because I'd have to reprogram everything from scratch. But it pales in comparison.

I will dissent, I suppose... The II is awesome, of course, "better" than Gen1, etc, etc. You will be particularly pleased by the power amp modeling improvements.... The extra IR slots and URs will be a big plus as well. If you are looking @ FRFR having 10x the user IR slots is ginormous relative to the 1st gen and you will enjoy the increased resolution from the UR impulses.

That said, it is NOT night and day for me. I still play both units on a regular basis and transitioning from one to the other I never feel really put out by my Ultra which has been completely dialed in for a couple of years now. The II is way more accurate/faithful in terms of model correspondence to the modeled amp and is therefore MUCH easier to dial. Tone match is killer and underrated feature, as well, and is much more fun than I ever expected it to be.... I notice the "feel" improvement mostly in traditional rock and crunch tones, which I do not use as often. It is an immensely worthwhile upgrade but to be realistic, it was not a paradigm shift for me, personally. Caveat: I am primarily a hard rock and metal player and I was not expecting it to be night and day; so I am deeply satisfied with the product.

Amp models are much richer, deeper on the II. You won't be disappointed. I still have my Ultra. It lives in a recording rack that I wish I had time to use! For live use, the II / XL is the way to go.

Thanks a lot for the responses, guys.

I pulled the trigger. Big surprise :) Although it kind of does surprise me, because I've literally been wanting to do it for years. I've come close many times, and almost got an XL as well when Fractal discounted them recently. But I just didn't feel I'd benefit much from the XL vs the II, so I'm glad that my name came up on the list when it did. Still, the problem with being on a list for an expensive item that you never know when you'll be able to buy, is that all of a sudden you need to be prepared to spend $2200+, rather than being able to plan the purchase. So despite the fact that I've been ready to upgrade for a LONG time, I needed a little push.

I'd still love to hear more comments while I wait for this thing to arrive, though, since I haven't heard many people compare both units, especially after the recent firmware releases. Also, what are the main things I "need to know" or new features that the Ultra didn't have that are noteworthy. I'm sure Scenes is one example. I'm sure there are other noteworthy differences, new or changed parameters, etc.

I'm especially excited to see how the UR cabs are and if they're really take FRFR to the next level for me. I am also glad that there are effects presets now, too. Somewhere to start when I just want a tape delay sound or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom