Few questions about getting stereo.

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
This may have been answered somewhere but its hard to dig it up.

I am in a TV project band and our band leader said it would be cool if i could go stereo since i have the AXE FX II.
Problem is my patches are mostly mono.
What would be a good way to convert them to stereo?
Where do i start, is the reverb stereo on the axe?

what is in your patches at the moment?

how are they routed fx>amp>cab>fx? or fx>amp>fx>cab?

is the reverb in stereo? seriously? have you never listened through headphones or studio monitors?

typically you would run compression, wah, phaser, drive etc before the amp and then delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, rotary etc after the cab as all these fx are stereo, although some have mono options

it really depends on what you want to do. a little stereo delay and a touch of reverb can really give your patches a sense of 3D space, but you could also run two different amps panned hard left and right if you want to get more radical

and that's only scratching the surface

I agree with simeon, just make sure your sound engineer pans your left and right signal. I usually pan hard left and right. As a guitarist I have always used a stereo setup. Try listening to a rich chorus in mono rather than stereo and you will be like what happened man. Your on the right track as you have the Fractal axe fx II its all up to your imagination now.

if you haven't got any studio monitors, make sure you at least use headphones to get some idea of what's going on

Classic Stereo mic techniques can be simulated by assigning two cabinets to the speaker block, panning them left and right and futzing with the settings for each individually. You can play with a delay time on one, split microphone types, mixed cabinet types, etc. Futz and repeat until you get the image you want...

If you gig a big venue the audience will probably never recognize mono or stereo. If you run surround like U2 etc. it's quite another scenario.
And from my humble experience, running stereo in a club will just irritate your fellow musicians.

This may have been answered somewhere but its hard to dig it up.

I am in a TV project band and our band leader said it would be cool if i could go stereo since i have the AXE FX II.
Problem is my patches are mostly mono.
What would be a good way to convert them to stereo?
Where do i start, is the reverb stereo on the axe?

Change the effects and cab to stereo, dial in the mix on the effects... done.

Along the same kind of topic, I've wondered this for a while, but never got a clear explanation... Why are some of the presets only panned 50% L or R, instead of full 100% L/R ? Is there any special benefit in AxeFX processing land ?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for tips guys.
I have monitors and headphones, but i was using L+R Sum output settings on the AXE pretty much all the time. Its a shame i cannot try it now, since it is hooked up in the studio at the moment.

I think i have some FX before amp, Rotary in between amp and cab and other effects after cab. I know i should place stereo effects after amp, so i will have to rework that.

It will be broadcasted on TV so i think stereo is a good thing. Also we play with In ears so it should be nicer for monitoring too.

I think i like the idea of dual amps/ cabs. I was just playing with NI Guitar Rig the other day and while the amp sims are a bit fizzy the stereo setup really sounded great. I liked how dual amps opened the sound.For example a bit muffed amp on L channel and a bit brighter amp on the R channel and you have a very wide sound. Will need to try that on the AXE.

It's changed over the years but since the early 90's it was a Mesa Triaxis, 2:90 power amp, TC G-Force & either 2 4-12 Marshall cabs or 4 1-12 cabs. Now the same set up with the 4 1-12s, 2:90 & the Axe II. I just got a pair of CLR wedges so I'm just starting with the FRFR set up & haven't used it with the band yet. We'll see how that works out. I can see if you have your cabs spread out on each side of the stage that could be an issue but I always have mine separated only by the width of the rack. All gigs up until now were miked cabs, both sides, sometimes with a stereo PA, sometimes not. Many more were smaller clubs where no miking was needed.

Back
Top Bottom