FENDER TWIN REVERB / DRIVE LOW LOW LOW but STILL BREAKING UP / ANY ADVICES ?

unFILTERed

Power User
input trim 1 (not touched), drive 1.2, master 9 or even lower (8,75) and it still breaks up when i hit the strings hard. it doesnt sound bad but its not the way it should be, isnt it? shouldt be there more headroom? any advices?

i play frfr, adam a5x, fw 9.02. I am playing with Framus Diablo (jeff beck humbuckers) or Guild Starfire 1973 (humbuckers).

thx,

semih

Semih Yanyali OFFICIAL WEBSITE | NEWS

I would check your input level to make sure you have it set correctly. Also make sure you're not clipping the output! If the red panel on front lights up then drop the "Level" knob in the amp block.

no clipping at all, in put level is 45...barely hits red when i play hard. but anyway thx for advices
I would check your input level to make sure you have it set correctly. Also make sure you're not clipping the output! If the red panel on front lights up then drop the "Level" knob in the amp block.

I've noticed this about all the Fender amps, too. In reality, they're super clean, large headroom amps, but in the Axe they all breakup early. Here's the solution I've found: Page over to the "ADV" tab in the amp settings, and scroll down to "Damping." Increase this until the distortion disappears when you hit the strings the hardest. Depending on the amp model, I've found between 5.0 and 7.0 usually cleans up any distortion. With this, you still have the ability to keep the Drive at more than 1.0, which I think is essential to creating that thick, fat Fender clean tone when the Volume knob on a real amp is around 2-4.

I may be imagining it, but when you max the Damping out to 10.0, the amp feels a little stiff, compared to the real thing (I've just switched to the Axe after 10+ years playing only a Deluxe Reverb), so I only increase it until the distortion first disappears.

I've noticed this about all the Fender amps, too. In reality, they're super clean, large headroom amps, but in the Axe they all breakup early. Here's the solution I've found: Page over to the "ADV" tab in the amp settings, and scroll down to "Damping." Increase this until the distortion disappears when you hit the strings the hardest. Depending on the amp model, I've found between 5.0 and 7.0 usually cleans up any distortion. With this, you still have the ability to keep the Drive at more than 1.0, which I think is essential to creating that thick, fat Fender clean tone when the Volume knob on a real amp is around 2-4.

I may be imagining it, but when you max the Damping out to 10.0, the amp feels a little stiff, compared to the real thing (I've just switched to the Axe after 10+ years playing only a Deluxe Reverb), so I only increase it until the distortion first disappears.

hi man, i played also 10 years fender deluxe. i did the damping thing yesterday. thats right the breaking up ended but felt like the tone changed also.
i will give it a new try. maybe i can fix the loss somewhere else...

hi man, i played also 10 years fender deluxe. i did the damping thing yesterday. thats right the breaking up ended but felt like the tone changed also.
i will give it a new try. maybe i can fix the loss somewhere else...

Yeah, if anyone can find an alternative method, I'd love to hear it. The tones I've been getting on the **** Reverb amps don't really line up with what I'm used to in the real thing. They sound good, but not the same. Amusingly, I found I could dial in a near-perfect Deluxe Reverb sound using a Vox AC-30, of all things.

Yeah, if anyone can find an alternative method, I'd love to hear it. The tones I've been getting on the **** Reverb amps don't really line up with what I'm used to in the real thing. They sound good, but not the same. Amusingly, I found I could dial in a near-perfect Deluxe Reverb sound using a Vox AC-30, of all things.

what guitar are u playing? can write me some details about ur vox ac-30 setting...my problem with ac-30 is about low frequencies...no way i can play with the neck pickup...
allways to bassy / not tight or cool...i use 1*12 self mixed vox alnico blue IR. and ofcorse that breaks up also right away....but probably thats the way they are ?!

How about lowering the master more? Could be power tube breakup; in real life you wouldn't put this amp on 9.

In real life the master is at 9 because these are non-mv amps. In real life if the volume/drive is at 2 or 3 these amps are already getting really really loud so the breakup is less noticeable at that volume. On the Axe the actual volume going in your ears is not nearly as loud in most cases for a similar drive setting. That is part of the problem. Your ears tricking themselves. Have you ever played a twin reverb in a bedroom at a volume of 5? It would try to shake the window out of the wall.

How about lowering the master more? Could be power tube breakup; in real life you wouldn't put this amp on 9.

I think also that its power amp breakup. But the suggested master setting for fenders or voxes is 9. thats why i think smth is not right

does it matter if it's "right"? apparently it's not right because it's distorting. so just turn the master down a bit. or turn the drive even lower. or turn the input trim down lower.

you described everything needed to stop the distortion, but you are creating tones with your "eyes" and not your ears.

Master at 9 and Drive at 4 and its clean. Perhaps it is the humbuckers.. they might require more headroom because of their output. Maybe Input Trim?

I'm thinking it's your humbuckers then. The JB is a very high output pickup, and that combined with playing hard and possibly the pickups being too close to the strings (maybe) it could cause it to break up.

does it matter if it's "right"? apparently it's not right because it's distorting. so just turn the master down a bit. or turn the drive even lower. or turn the input trim down lower.

you described everything needed to stop the distortion, but you are creating tones with your "eyes" and not your ears.
I am trying to find out if there is smth gone wrong by my fw update. I read some people had to reupdate or reset axe to get things going the way they should. If u read my post again u will see thati wrote it doesnt sound bad...trying to learn what other axe fx people do, and learned alot with the first posting:) fun to be here, i wish i joined the forum before

Back
Top Bottom