Fender Tone Master FR10

I have the FR10 and the EV PXM and I like the interaction between the 2, I run in stereo...for me there is plenty of bass in the FR10.
I play 70's rock, blues and some reggae.
I doubt you could go wrong with either units.
Can’t comment on the fr-10, but the low end roar of 2 fr-12s is impressive ! :)

Is there any wisdom around what the Fractal units should be set at (volume wise) in relation to the FR10/12 itself? Any general guidance?

I have not tried the FR 12, but I just got my FR 10 and it kicks ass. Definitely no shortage of bottom end.
I like the sound of 10" speakers in general. I looked at the frequency response charts for various brands' 10" and 12" in the same models, and the 10" rolls off at the bottom of the guitar's range just right.

In a band setting we don't need to trim the lows as much. A Fender Vibrolux with 2x10s on stage and turned up is a monster and I much prefer it to something with 2x12s. Because of having had one of those, if I went with Fender's FR speakers, I'd grab the 10s, or, at most one of each. Similarly, the MF-10s will sit in that happy spot. There's a punch or snap to the 10" that my 12" don't have.

Is there any wisdom around what the Fractal units should be set at (volume wise) in relation to the FR10/12 itself? Any general guidance?
I'd recommend turning up the FR so you can control the sound on the Fractal. Trying to balance both is a pain, as is having to run to the "amp" to get additional volume. They make it easier to reach the volume control, but nobody needs the distraction in the middle of a song.

From a sound-mans perspective on gain structure...it is standard practise to have your source gained up to 70-80%...but with Fractal units it doesn't seem to matter as much.
That said I like running the FM9 at 1-2 o'clock and adjusting sound levels at the amp from there...I think Melalica run there Fractals the same way...I play 70's rock mostly though.

Make sure whichever output to the FR is set to +4 line level for optimum S/N ratio and volume. Also, as mentioned earlier by others, probably best practice to level your scenes to near zero on the meters. From there, you can balance level between the physical output knob on your Fractal and the volume knob of the FR to achieve the volume you need. It seems the preamp of the FR10/12’s have plenty of headroom.

Wondering if anyone can chime in here: I've been told by GC that they are not expecting any FX-10s until August...

Would that have anything to do with the hiss problem?

At this point, I don't really need it, as I'm happy with my EV PXM-12MP. But, I really want to try one, particularly with the upgraded preamp in the works by one of this forum's obviously very talented members.

Has anyone tried running their bass into the FR-10?

On paper the specs strongly suggest that neither the FR-10 nor the FR-12 could handle the low end (only down to 75Hz for the FR-10 and 70 Hz for the FR-12 according to Fender), but I'm curious if it could work for home practice at least. (I currently have a Gallien Krueger MB112 bass amp for home bass practice, but I kinda need to make some room in here.) The RedSound Elis.8 also only goes down to 70 Hz, but I've read some folks seem to be using it for bass.

Is it possible to tell if the FR-10’s got the hiss just by the manufacturing date on the box?

I just ordered one direct from Fender hoping to get one with the hiss fix, but the manufacturing date says 202305, which seems too old for the hiss to be fixed.

Is it possible to tell if the FR-10’s got the hiss just by the manufacturing date on the box?

I just ordered one direct from Fender hoping to get one with the hiss fix, but the manufacturing date says 202305, which seems too old for the hiss to be fixed.
I retuned a FR-10 last month that had the hiss and a date of 202307. My local music store just got two "new" ones in that were dated 202305. I purchased it anyway, as I just received my V2 from WKSmith, which will resolve the problem. I suspect that either Fender is recycling returned ones rather than fixing them, or still getting rid of old stock.

I retuned a FR-10 last month that had the hiss and a date of 202307. My local music store just got two "new" ones in that were dated 202305. I purchased it anyway, as I just received my V2 from WKSmith, which will resolve the problem. I suspect that either Fender is recycling returned ones rather than fixing them, or still getting rid of old stock.
Can confirm that the 202307 production date seems to be no good - I just got mine new from Sweetwater with that date code and it definitely has the hiss (it's somehow a lot worse than I imagined - I kinda hoped I'd be able to put up with it but yikes, it is not subtle).

It seems like, at least for me, it's sadly not worth bothering with the FR-10 until the market collectively runs out of old stock. (As much as I love the idea of swapping the board out for the V2, I'm just a lowly guitarist with 0 electrician chops.)

Can confirm that the 202307 production date seems to be no good - I just got mine new from Sweetwater with that date code and it definitely has the hiss (it's somehow a lot worse than I imagined - I kinda hoped I'd be able to put up with it but yikes, it is not subtle).

It seems like, at least for me, it's sadly not worth bothering with the FR-10 until the market collectively runs out of old stock. (As much as I love the idea of swapping the board out for the V2, I'm just a lowly guitarist with 0 electrician chops.)

It's nothing more complicated than unscrewing/screwing in some screws and unplugging/plugging in connectors.... I am almost certain you could handle it!

Just took a look at the install instructions and it does look pretty straightforward - thanks!

@WKSmith Are there any safety precautions you need to take with the install? (I dunno if the original circuit has any capacitors or anything else to watch out for that might hold a charge.)

Just took a look at the install instructions and it does look pretty straightforward - thanks!

@WKSmith Are there any safety precautions you need to take with the install? (I dunno if the original circuit has any capacitors or anything else to watch out for that might hold a charge.)
No the caps are tiny. Just unplug the ac mains cable. There are no massive caps in the FR.

Back
Top Bottom