Fender Strats with fuller (thicker?) fatter neck? Rosewood?

Most american strats have a 1 11/16th nut width, mim necks are a bit narrower. Though it seems not much of a difference you can feel it and you can hear it.
Maybe you should decide first if the nut width matters for you. For me it does, I don't want any 1 5/8th in my collection.
The american deluxes from 2010 on also had a compound radius 10-16", which is an advantage when soloing on the higher frets, though some people don't like the LSR roller nuts, I don't know why, they are great to me.
After the deluxe series the shape got a bit thinner, especially the ultra neck is a different beast.
So you could try to get a used american deluxe in your hands and see if that's the right one for you?

I Know this is old news and kinda covered, but I had for a while an Ed O'Brien Strat that belongs to a friend sitting next to my '55 Strat and the EOB Strat is both very nice, but also to my surprise has the closest neck shape I have ever come across on a modern Strat to the half baseball bat that is the '55. The EOB is great, except for the vintage size frets - that bit on a modern guitar is just plain weird.

Fender Players don't have fatter necks IME. Probably just order up something from Allparts/Warmoth/Fender with the size you want.

The fatest neck I've ever played was on a Peavey Strat. I think it was either the Axcelerator or Decimator. Another one was a strange looking Washburn I think was called Sonic.

Many years ago I ordered a raw padouk neck from Warmoth in what they call their fatback profile.

Since the neck was left raw, I played it for a while and then sanded it down, played it for a little while longer and sanded it one final time. The result is a neck that just fits my hand. I also learned that tone is impacted by the neck's density and mass far more than I would have thought.

and a 1" V feels wonderfull.

Fwiw while people see this thread - a 1” U will feel way beefier than a 1” C.
I have a Warmoth 1 3/4 " nut, 1'' thick at the nut, Fatback hanging in the garage. WAY too big. The shoulders block my thumb from coming over.

The Warmoth 1 3/4" Boatneck (soft "V") is 1" thick at the nut also and is absolutely perfect for my hand. I love it so much I have 4 boatnecks on 3 strats and a tele.

The difference is all in the profile of the shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom