Fender Strats with fuller (thicker?) fatter neck? Rosewood?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So I am Lindy Fralin pickup-user-strats and Teles. I have a new Fralin Blues special Strat pickguard wired by Fralin sitting in a box.
As title TRIES to explain-I would like something with a bit fatter neck. MIM or wherever is OK. Seems Player strats? I know SRV strats have it but I wouldn't buy one of those (or Eric Johnson)to change it, plus don't want to go crazy money wise.
Thanks

So I am Lindy Fralin pickup-user-strats and Teles. I have a new Fralin Blues special Strat pickguard wired by Fralin sitting in a box.
As title TRIES to explain-I would like something with a bit fatter neck. MIM or wherever is OK. Seems Player strats? I know SRV strats have it but I wouldn't buy one of those (or Eric Johnson)to change it, plus don't want to go crazy money wise.
Thanks
Why not order a body and neck to your specifications? Even if you buy used, you'll probably save money and get exactly what you want.

The Ed O'Brien Strat has a fatter neck, might be just plain fat. I believe a lot of the signature models like the Jeff Beck, Richie Kotzen, Robert Cray and Jimmy Vaughan signature models have bigger necks.

Some of the MIM Player and JV Modified models have a soft V profile that is an incredibly comfortable neck.

I'll check them out. I have searched-quite a bit.
Why not order a body and neck to your specifications? Even if you buy used, you'll probably save money and get exactly what you want.
Honestly, at this time in my life I would rather just have to change the pickguard\electronics. Maybe the tuning keys depending.

Not sure if the pick guard would fit, but I actually just tried out a silver sky SE for the first time today at the store. I was quite impressed with the neck on it. I own 2 USA silver sky and the SE felt pretty damn close. I did not expect it to be that close.

So I found a few Fender Player strats that "supposedly" have a fatter neck.
But of course, the child in me is now looking at the EJ Turquoise Blue Strat with Channel bound RW neck- Jeeezzzz!
EDIT:Whoops-I will have to investigate the "soft V” contour" neck. My hands are big for my height, but?

I need to clarify what I want. The 2014 Fender USA Tele I recently acquired has a channel bound neck and is fatter\rounder and extremely comfortable - more so than most Strats I have owned-which is many.
I am trying to stay away from putting one together.
I have searched far and wide for a Strat with a channel bound neck and the EJ is the only one I found so far.
BTW, in case you haven't noticed I am the KING of indecision...........

Avoid the Mexican Strats if you want authentic tones because of the thick plastic finish. Best value would be IMO Fender Am Original if you are good with 9.5" radius and 6230 frets . Or the new American Vintage II for the full 7.25" experience . If you want flatter with bigger frets it gets difficult and expensive.

:cool:

C4A099E0-CC5C-4A93-AAE1-079B78AE5138.jpeg

All Parts makes some big boys! If I remember right, they do these in both maple and rosewood. It’s 1” at the nut and 1” at the 12th fret. My first big neck I bought with the intention of sanding down but NOPE, this changed my entire outlook on big necks and now I’m addicted. I might even replace the neck on my Gilmour Strat with a bigger one because of this.

:cool:

View attachment 109996

All Parts makes some big boys! If I remember right, they do these in both maple and rosewood. It’s 1” at the nut and 1” at the 12th fret. My first big neck I bought with the intention of sanding down but NOPE, this changed my entire outlook on big necks and now I’m addicted. I might even replace the neck on my Gilmour Strat with a bigger one because of this.
He said fuller neck not two stuck together!:tearsofjoy:

Well guys, full disclosure here.....Over a year ago I bought a Fender Ultra Strat (Rosewood fretboard)mainly because they talked about the rolled edges and easy playability. I do have arthritis, as most of you know by now. Then I bought a used USA STD Tele with a channel Bound neck. I never played the NEW fender Strat again. The channel bound neck is just so comfortable. It's a 2014 tele.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice but last night I decided, let me try (after more than a year) this $2K Strat again.
It's fine , the channel bound tele spoiled me I guess but the Strat with rolled edges plays just fine.
So the Noiseless pickguard will come off and the Fralin Blues Specials pickguard will go on.
All this searching I did just made me realize, hey, you already have a guitar perfect for the Fralin pickguard
Thanks again!

Well guys, full disclosure here.....Over a year ago I bought a Fender Ultra Strat (Rosewood fretboard)mainly because they talked about the rolled edges and easy playability. I do have arthritis, as most of you know by now. Then I bought a used USA STD Tele with a channel Bound neck. I never played the NEW fender Strat again. The channel bound neck is just so comfortable. It's a 2014 tele.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice but last night I decided, let me try (after more than a year) this $2K Strat again.
It's fine , the channel bound tele spoiled me I guess but the Strat with rolled edges plays just fine.
So the Noiseless pickguard will come off and the Fralin Blues Specials pickguard will go on.
All this searching I did just made me realize, hey, you already have a guitar perfect for the Fralin pickguard
Thanks again!
The difference between the Ultra Strat and Standard Tele is profile. Seems like you prefer the Modern C, STD Tele vs Modern D, Ultra Strat. One thing I've learned that I prefer is a narrower nut width, the 1.650, with a deeper profile like the soft V or Regular C. I have a 2004 American Deluxe V-Neck Strat, which is supposed to be 1-5/8" but is slightly wider, and a Triple Tele, 1.650 and Regular C, and they're the most comfortable guitars I own. You may want to see if the narrower nut would be easier for your hands as well.

The difference between the Ultra Strat and Standard Tele is profile. Seems like you prefer the Modern C, STD Tele vs Modern D, Ultra Strat. One thing I've learned that I prefer is a narrower nut width, the 1.650, with a deeper profile like the soft V or Regular C. I have a 2004 American Deluxe V-Neck Strat, which is supposed to be 1-5/8" but is slightly wider, and a Triple Tele, 1.650 and Regular C, and they're the most comfortable guitars I own. You may want to see if the narrower nut would be easier for your hands as well.
This D thingie must be what I disliked about that custom shop Strat last year at Sweetwater. All shoulders, almost boxy, but with a rolled edge on the fretboard.... Shame, it was gorgeous otherwise....

This D thingie must be what I disliked about that custom shop Strat last year at Sweetwater. All shoulders, almost boxy, but with a rolled edge on the fretboard.... Shame, it was gorgeous otherwise....
Yep, the D shape is not my cup of tea either. Really wanted to get a Duesenberg but after playing one, and looking closer at the fit and finish, not so much. Really different feeling neck.

I can at least live with the Ultra strat with the Fralin Blues specials in it. The rolled edges do help. You guys are correct about the D shape. I guess I am lucky to have such issues.........
Went around in a circle on that one :)

Back
Top Bottom