Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

They will 100% roll out tweed FR’s as that is a fender thing. Expect FSR colours if they think they can do it.

What "working" products are you referring to?
Any decent floor monitor, the redsound products, Atomic... it never came to my mind to modify class D amps, technically speaking it's more risky than modifying tube amps. Anyway.. "let it be"...and "we're living in a free world".

What makes modifying a class D amp more risky than modding a tube amp?
Smd mount electronics. PWM circuits close to not repairable and risk of smoking the Amp as one component failure often induces the failure of other components. I use class D amps for years now, as almost any solid state Amp nowadays is class D, but when it fails you almost can be sure it ends up in Africa on the electronics belt. Close to no energy stored in the circuits makes them also less adapted to guitar than class A/B Amps, less "bass thump". It's there, a bit, they're bloody efficient, nobody will ever say "your sound is class D Amp" but still there's no comparison to their historical predecessors.

💩This is going in the manual

My latest stock FR-10 with the 3 ICs swapped for the half a$$ed hiss fix sounds pretty nasty. It starts clipping at 9:00 with the FM9 at 3:00 like a harsh overdrive. (the last preamp amp stage is an actual tube screamer 4558 IC) . And the 5-7k highs have been knocked down a lot

It still has a small bit of hiss from the horn at the highest and most irritating frequencies.

The V2 lifts the blanket off ..and the clipping is tamed down a ton. And the hiss from the horn is gone. The hiss is pretty much entirely gone...unless you run the eq wide open. Don't do that. This isn't VanHalen level amplification.

There is an unresolved issue with the FRs though. If you plug in a 1/4 jack for input it will have a low level hum. Balanced, unbalanced, whatever. It has a small ground loop hum using the 1/4 input. It will do this on a stock pre or a V2.

Use a balanced XLR input. It sounds awesome. I don't care what the manual says. The FRs have a floating chassis ground independent from the 0v preamp ground. There is a major design flaw in the input board.

It is what it is. Don't use 1/4" inputs into the FR balanced or otherwise (not even humbuster) . I didn't build the input board or power supply. We are all still dealing with some stupid outside of the preamp circuit.

You can build a dummy 1/4" plug with the tip grounded to the sleeve ..plug it in and it will hum. Any 1/4 plug really. No wires needed. Insert it and hummm. Try it, it's great 🙄

Full galvanic transformer isolation won't even fix it. More really dumb $#!+ . Just don't use a 1/4" input. Act like it's not even there.

And my personal thanks to @Patzag and @lscottk for helping me work out all possible causes of hum in the V2

and to @LolainNB for the reminder that we can still bring some hiss back by diming out all of the cascaded EQ gain stages. Which is not cool at all.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone that got in on the first batch of handmade V2s. You helped make hundreds of the next V2s sound amazing.
Still brainstorming on this 1/4" hum problem. Have you or anybody else here by chance tried a Variac or a AmpRX Brown Box to dial in a voltage variance going to the main amp and seeing if the hum on 1/4" cable can be eliminated that way? Wonder if that might make a difference. I hardly have any electronics know how so these are just inexperienced guesses at best but sure would be interesting to try anyway. I don't have either one of the above or I would try it myself for everybody. I probably should get one at some point!

Still brainstorming on this 1/4" hum problem. Have you or anybody else here by chance tried a Variac or a AmpRX Brown Box to dial in a voltage variance going to the main amp and seeing if the hum on 1/4" cable can be eliminated that way? Wonder if that might make a difference. I hardly have any electronics know how so these are just inexperienced guesses at best but sure would be interesting to try anyway. I don't have either one of the above or I would try it myself for everybody. I probably should get one at some point!
I have had luck using this line isolator, converting my 1/4 to XLR. It took care of the 1/4 hum for me, which I agree is tiny anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FT3JV9T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Smd mount electronics. PWM circuits close to not repairable and risk of smoking the Amp as one component failure often induces the failure of other components. I use class D amps for years now, as almost any solid state Amp nowadays is class D, but when it fails you almost can be sure it ends up in Africa on the electronics belt. Close to no energy stored in the circuits makes them also less adapted to guitar than class A/B Amps, less "bass thump". It's there, a bit, they're bloody efficient, nobody will ever say "your sound is class D Amp" but still there's no comparison to their historical predecessors.
I could be mistaken as I’m just a lowly guitarist with no real electronics chops, but this mod is only swapping out the preamp - it’s not changing anything about the power amp. Even if the power amp is class D, if you’re not modding the power amp itself, it seems like a pretty low risk mod? Or do I have it wrong?

Every time there's a notification in my alerts, I get more excited. In the meantime, I'm still very pleased with what I'm getting out of the FR-10s. I haven't opened them up yet, but the used one I received more recently actually has a slightly quieter hiss than the one I purchased new.

Also, after selling my FM3, I'm considering working my way back to a full Fractal rig. I've been experimenting with a slew of pedals. My Ethos Clean Fusion Deluxe is staying, but I might just let go of my other analog modeling zero-watt amp pedals. The FX8 is awesome, and works exceedingly well with analog amp/cab modeling (always gapless!). The HX FX also does a really nice job. But, I'm extremely interested in the updated effects, and being able to run a larger, more complex rig. I never quite got along with the FM3 I had, so this might turn into a full III + turbo & FC12. (kinda doubt I'll need the turbo, but I'm definitely going for the 3-year warranty)

Last edited:
Every time there's a notification in my alerts, I get more excited. In the meantime, I'm still very pleased with what I'm getting out of the FR-10s. I haven't opened them up yet, but the used one I received more recently actually has a slightly quieter hiss than the one I purchased new.

Also, after selling my FM3, I'm considering working my way back to a full Fractal rig. I've been experimenting with a slew of pedals. My Ethos Clean Fusion Deluxe is staying, but I might just let go of my other analog modeling zero-watt amp pedals. The FX8 is awesome, and works exceedingly well with analog amp/cab modeling. The HX FX also does a really nice job. But, I'm extremely interested in the updated effects, and being able to run a larger, more complex rig. I never quite got along with the FM3 I had, so this might turn into a full III + turbo & FC12. (kinda doubt I'll need the turbo, but I'm definitely going for the 3-year warranty)

Updated F/X are monster …

Paul Giamatti Pipe GIF by Focus Features

Back
Top Bottom