Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Not to mention that you had 3 great beta testers one of which was Satriani! All things happen for a reason. No soup for you lauke-lux! Which by the way, did you finally meet with him or is that later in the week? Think he is in my city, Springfield, on the 26th of this month, so four days away!
I met his tour manager, he was already backstage warming up when we got to the venue. I did get to deliver a gold level V2 to him though.

I am awaiting the day when the beginning every gig I do doesn't involve looking at the pic I snapped in my phone of the current "flat" settings of the original preamp :oops::coldsweat: "Treble on1.37, Mids on 4.175, Bass on 2.12" :mad::D

How do you go about determining flat settings without measurement gear? I’m on the waitlist but for now I need to figure out where flat is at on my FR-10. What I plan on doing is leaving my presets alone and using the eq to make them sound right. Guess that’ll work. I’ll try your settings, maybe they’ll work on the 10”. This is a different animal than my other speaker, a Celestion F12 cab and Crown amp with no eq. My thinking is that it’s very lightweight construction and the cabinet is contributing to the sound quite a bit. Sounds like a guitar cab, at least more so than my F12 does or the Headrush 112. I won’t get a chance to play until Thursday. And I have a guitar on the way, supposed to deliver tomorrow. And the new FM3 firmware. A whole new rig. Life is good.

How do you go about determining flat settings without measurement gear? I’m on the waitlist but for now I need to figure out where flat is at on my FR-10. What I plan on doing is leaving my presets alone and using the eq to make them sound right. Guess that’ll work. I’ll try your settings, maybe they’ll work on the 10”. This is a different animal than my other speaker, a Celestion F12 cab and Crown amp with no eq. My thinking is that it’s very lightweight construction and the cabinet is contributing to the sound quite a bit. Sounds like a guitar cab, at least more so than my F12 does or the Headrush 112. I won’t get a chance to play until Thursday. And I have a guitar on the way, supposed to deliver tomorrow. And the new FM3 firmware. A whole new rig. Life is good.
@WKSmith posted a good and useful thread about this. Someone ruined it. 😡

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fender-fr-12-eq-measurement-and-charts.198732/

It's FR-12 specific but maybe a good starting point?

Hey @WKSmith
What d’ya know about the power amp in the fender cab? Is that easily replaceable too?
Thank you sir. ;)
I like it. It seems like a solid build and it is relatively quiet.
All I know is from the outside. It is rated at 300W at 4 ohms ...but is only running half power (8ohms)
And it is made by Hanser the OEM builder for several brands, and the owner of the Kustom brand.

For measurement gear.. I like the free REW software and a calibrated U-Mik 1
If you use the eq setting on the page Deadpool25 referenced for the stock eq, it will get you pretty flat from 70Hz to 7kHz.

Because I can.

And now I have an awesome FR solution for cheap. Three of them in my studio and hundreds headed out into the world. And I shared it with the community. I didn't just fix mine, I invested a great deal of $$$ and time to make it available as a plug and play solution for everyone. And the FR-xx precisely hits the backline amp mojo that is missing with plastic "FRFR" solutions costing a lot more.

If I wanted to drop 5k + in a pair of Meyers, I would do exactly that.

I am a retired electronics engineer and respected designer of boutique preamps. If I want to thumb my nose at F-corp with a cheap solution... it is entirely my will and skill vs. corporate greed. If you are on board.. welcome to the revolution.

If you are not.. you do you boo.
I love you anyway ❤️ I hope you find amazing tone at the end of your journey !
I see the sens of modifying a tube amp but not to m
Not to mention that you had 3 great beta testers one of which was Satriani! All things happen for a reason. No soup for you lauke-lux! ;) Which by the way, did you finally meet with him or is that later in the week? Think he is in my city, Springfield, on the 26th of this month, so four days away!
Check for whom he was no beta rester...anyway, unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever meet Joe Satriani. Would be great though 😉

These SMD main board class D amps are quite complex and I feel a great quantity of tried-to-mod-it amps ending smoked on the "electronics belt" in Africa. I'd rather go for a good a/b solid state Amp with a good old heavy transformer that can get some guts out of any speaker. No hiss problems also. But freedom for everyone of course.

Back
Top Bottom