Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

There is an unresolved issue with the FRs though. If you plug in a 1/4 jack for input it will have a low level hum. Balanced, unbalanced, whatever. It has a small ground loop hum using the 1/4 input. It will do this on a stock pre or a V2.
Could this be a region specific issue? I'm in the UK so have the AC line frequency in the FM9 set to 50Hz.
My FM9 is connected to the FR-10 from Out 1 (L) with a single , standard 1/4 jack cable (not even a humbuster) and I'm not hearing any hum, even with the FR-10 volume maxed.
It is, of course, quite possible that my hearing is shot!

Could this be a region specific issue? I'm in the UK so have the AC line frequency in the FM9 set to 50Hz.
My FM9 is connected to the FR-10 from Out 1 (L) with a single , standard 1/4 jack cable (not even a humbuster) and I'm not hearing any hum, even with the FR-10 volume maxed.
It is, of course, quite possible that my hearing is shot!
It's possible the power supply is different. When you take it apart, get a pic of the power supply board and its revision date for me please.

It is a very quiet hum. If the FR is hissing it is not really noticeable. It was only when The V2 killed off the hiss that it became evident.

Maybe my ears are getting the best of me, or maybe the standard hiss level is just too high, but I don't notice a hum. Right now, I'm running out from the Ethos Clean Fusion Deluxe into a Lehle P-Split iii and out to my FR-10s.

what are those mics pointing into the tubes ?
I believe those are acoustic Bass tube traps which reduces reverberation in a room by absorbing certain frequencies within a given spectrum normally custom designed for that specific room although those look somewhat home made. I'm assuming those condenser mics are recapturing some of those frequencies and throwing it back to the mixing board but I'm not sure on that. Looking at the photo again, the condenser mics may just be capturing the rooms overall ambient sounds over the drums and may not be pointed down the tubes. Can't really tell because the photo is taken from front view instead of side view.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom