Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I used the same crossover as the stock FR pre, I just tuned the LF side a tad bit higher to help with the freq notch at the crossover point. And I used a much cleaner IC.

I love the D&B Audiotechnik stuff. I bet those monitors are nice !

I haven't tried the FX200 co-axial yet either, it may not be a great choice in this system. I do have the ability to bypass the crossover baked into the V2 just to try it though.
If Fender designed the cab based on thiele-small parameters and properly sized the vent, then it will be a crapshoot to get another speaker to “sound” the same in the lower frequency region.

If Fender designed the cab based on thiele-small parameters and properly sized the vent, then it will be a crapshoot to get another speaker to “sound” the same in the lower frequency region.
I find it interesting that the FR-12 has two holes in the baffle for ports, yet the FR-10 has two tuned ports with tubes.

It would be pretty easy to calculate port length tuned to the cab volume and Theile-smalls of the driver with software.

The F150 triple cone is a lot more forgiving, (even in an open back) than the FX200 is ..But it isn't a co-ax .

I am really quite happy with a FR and a V2 pre without a driver change though TBH.

That IS interesting. So, at least on paper, it seems like more thought and/or effort went into tuning the low-end on the FR10 than the FR12?
Possibly. It is entirely plausible to tune a port with only the depth of the baffle though.

I haven't really looked into the cab volume or port tuning yet with the V2 about to drop.its kinda been busy 🤣

But having tubes in only the FR-10 is curious

Possibly. It is entirely plausible to tune a port with only the depth of the baffle though.

I haven't really looked into the cab volume or port tuning yet with the V2 about to drop.its kinda been busy 🤣

But having tubes in only the FR-10 is curious

Could be tuned to help the 10's bottom a bit more, to help even it out a little with the 12. The longer tube would change the resonant frequency of the box/port. Diameter plays a part, too, in the tuning of the port.

I had a '72 Bassman Ten 4x10 combo with a closed-back speaker box that had a number of 1.25" or so "ports" in the baffle board to help the low resonance peaks from the speakers to not get squashed by the box's "tight" air. Probably also helped the lower octave a bit, and threw it all forward. It was a great rhythm guitar amp, actually, and would have worked better for leads with better speakers that had a little more slice in the upper mids....

So with the V2 boards in the air over the Pacific ... it probably a good time to share details about the waitlist and pricing and the IC upgrade options. I won't start taking orders until I have finished V2s tested and boxed up though. It's getting close.

Everyone on the waitlist will have the option to commit to purchase one or two V2s (or to pass on the offer). The first few invitations that go out will be for the initial V2s made here entirely by hand by me personally. They will be $99 + shipping + import duties for international orders.

The ones I have contracted assembly for are due in soon and that will be the end of me personally building them entirely by hand, but I will still be installing some components here. Those V2s will eventually be $129. (If you find this post in a few months ..don't be upset if the price has changed 🙂)

Even without an optional IC upgrade, the V2 sounds far better than the original stock FR preamp and even their latest "fixed" stock preamp that hisses less that their original pre.

I am going to offer GOLD level upgrade of all 4 ICs to Burr Brown OPA2134s
for a $30 up charge.

The 2134s are my favorite premium audio opamp. The difference is subtle. Much like upgrading a modern production preamp tube to a NOS tube. It also gives more headroom before clipping. Its harmonics are warm and musical and it clips gracefully. They are at end of life and are slated to be discontinued. So they are also getting harder to find. This upgrade price will likely increase as suppliers get low on stock. I am seeing them cost up to $9 each now.

The 4 IC upgrade is the one I use personally ..and the model that I gave to Satriani.

Its as easy as responding to the invite with how many you would like, and if you would like to upgrade the ICs, I will send you the exact $offer to make on the listing (and a Reverb link) with a code unique to you. Hint ..the price will have a ¢ at the end unique to your invite. Don't be alarmed when you see the price listed publically as $500.

or if you would prefer to pass on the invite and make room for the person behind you in line that's cool too.

If you just got here. PM me with an email and a request if you wish to be added to this waitlist.

Liam

Last edited:
That IS interesting. So, at least on paper, it seems like more thought and/or effort went into tuning the low-end on the FR10 than the FR12?

I have a theory relating to this that's been rattling around in my head for some time. It's just a theory, but hear me out:

I suspect that the FR-10 was always the original intended design, but there has always been a lot of push-back against 10 inch speakers in the guitar community in favour of 12 inch speakers. I say this myself as someone that actually enjoys 10 speakers.

So I think the FR-10 was initially the product as designed, but then Fender may have started to fear that they would have lost more than half their potential sales due to those guitarists that steadfastly cling to the idea that "12 inch is king". Hence, they quickly put together a 12 inch option.

I actually tried to buy an FR-10 myself, but somebody had already bought it from my local dealer; so I demo'd the FR-12 that they had left and bought that instead.

Last edited:
So I think the FR-10 was initially the product as designed, but then Fender may have started to fear that they would have lost more than half their potential sales due to those guitarists that steadfastly cling to the idea that "12 inch is king". Hence, they quickly put together a 12 inch option.

For whatever's worth, the FR-10 uses the exact same preamp board as the FR-12... but lacks a number of components, mostly related to the EQ section. Looks like a very intentional design choice to me.

Last edited:
I have a theory relating to this that's been rattling around in my head for some time. It's just a theory, but hear me out:

I suspect that the FR-10 was always the original intended design, but there has always been a lot of push-back against 10 inch speakers in the guitar community in favour of 12 inch speakers. I say this myself as someone that actually enjoys 10 speakers.

I actually tried to buy an FR-10 myself, but somebody had already bought it from my local dealer; so I demo'd the FR-12 that they had left and bought that instead.
I think the fr10 needed more help down below with the smaller cab… JMHO

Give me an FR410 and I will be pleased as punch.

My HotRod Deville 410 is my favorite form factor.... loud enough to hang with 4x12's but easier to move around. I wouldn't know about the technicalities that would go into it for FRFR, but if Laney can do a 4x12 maybe there's hope :tonguewink:

for those that have tried both the fr10 & fr12, did you have a preference?
With stock preamps, I prefer the slightly extended frequency response of the 12. I really like the smaller form factor of the 10 though. It's a draw.

Even more so with the V2 preamps. That makes them sound almost identical.

The 10s have covers available too, if that is important to you.

I have one of each. When the V2s start shipping out I will probably make that 2 of each model with a BadCat in the middle.

Last edited:
I just saw an announcement of the Line 6 Catalyst CX combo amplifiers (an updated version software). Has anybody tried those? How compare with Fender FRs (besides the effects and amp simulation)? I believe are coaxial and have a effects loop and a lot of interesting functions.

I just saw an announcement of the Line 6 Catalyst CX combo amplifiers (an updated version software). Has anybody tried those? How compare with Fender FRs (besides the effects and amp simulation)? I believe are coaxial and have an effects loop and a lot of interesting functions.
Maybe start a new thread? This is not even rally about the FR series. It’s about a mod.

Back
Top Bottom