Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

FM9 Turbo. Connecting with regular XLR (output 2).

Here is what is happening:

Try a preset with only input and output. See if the noise goes away. Or change the level on the output. Does the noise change?
Test also another cable.

Edit: Aaron beat me to it!

Try a preset with only input and output. See if the noise goes away. Or change the level on the output. Does the noise change?
Test also another cable.

Edit: Aaron beat me to it!
Ouput vol differences on FM9 - same hiss throughout the range of the volume control
Blank preset (Just in and out) - same hiss.
Different XLR cable - same hiss.

Ouput vol differences on FM9 - same hiss throughout the range of the volume control
Blank preset (Just in and out) - same hiss.
Different XLR cable - same hiss.
Wait, are you running the FR12 volume all the way up? If so that's probably the issue. You won't get the best S/N ratio that way. Try running it with the FM9 set to +4 db and the FM9 out level around 1-2 O'Clock. Then adjust the FR12 volume to an appropriate level for the venue. If it's too quiet then check your preset levels to make sure you're averaging around 0db.

-Aaron

Wait, are you running the FR12 volume all the way up? If so that's probably the issue. You won't get the best S/N ratio that way. Try running it with the FM9 set to +4 db and the FM9 out level around 1-2 O'Clock. Then adjust the FR12 volume to an appropriate level for the venue. If it's too quiet then check your preset levels to make sure your averaging around 0db.

-Aaron
That's exactly how I am running it. FM9 is about 1'o clock. +4 db line output. Maybe I have very unrealistic expectations on the hiss levels, even after the Fender mod. As soon as I insert my device (FM9) the hiss shoots up.

I would prefer if it was just silent, in those rare cases where I made need to run it hot.

That's exactly how I am running it. FM9 is about 1'o clock. +4 db line output. Maybe I have very unrealistic expectations on the hiss levels, even after the Fender mod. As soon as I insert my device (FM9) the hiss shoots up.

I would prefer if it was just silent, in those rare cases where I made need to run it hot.
All the way up on the FR12 should be way too loud for any show where the noise floor of the room is below the hiss.

-Aaron

my 2 FR12s are sitting at FedEx waiting to be picked up. I’ll try to get some gutshots this weekend
Picked them up on the way home from work. Set them up and jammed out for an hour or so. They are dead quiet with no signal coming through. I’m either going deaf (possible, I stand in front of marching bands and jazz bands for a living), or I have the factory updated version. Will still crack the cab soon and take pics for science.

Picked them up on the way home from work. Set them up and jammed out for an hour or so. They are dead quiet with no signal coming through. I’m either going deaf (possible, I stand in front of marching bands and jazz bands for a living), or I have the factory updated version. Will still crack the cab soon and take pics for science.
Mine is extremely quiet as well... this is what it looks like (I bet yours look the same)

fr12.jpg

If all you are feeding with the OP is the FR I would play with the levels on both the FM and the FR to get the best S/N ratio! I would set up the FM with the OP at noon and drop the OP output level to the -10 db setting and see how it sounds. At full volume the noise of the FR wasn't too bad without the added noise of the FM's OP! which at +4 db at 1 o"clock on the OP knob would be quite a bit.

Whenever you turn any amp all the way up you will hear it's noise floor to some extent and anything else that is providing a signal and it's noise floor will add to it no matter how small it is.

Given the price point, design and quality of parts that's probably as good as it's going to get even with a mod.

Back
Top Bottom