Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I am going to start a formal waitlist for the V2 preamps. It will help me to gauge quantities and pricing (I am trying to keep the target price at or near $99 plus shipping )

If you would please PM me with your name, and email (I won't spam or sell your email or creep in on your Netflix account :tearsofjoy:)
...And maybe include what you think a fair price range would be.

I can still build a small batch here if there is not enough interest to justify outsourcing the assembly, it would just move slower.

Here are some of the features and changes in the V2

1) Uses factory plugs and sockets. No soldering.
2) Adds a clip light under a clear shaft volume pot and clear knob. The clip detector is post eq.
( *the new volume pot requires slightly enlarging the stock chassis hole)
3) The 4 Eq and cut pots are premium custom pots with 40 fine clicks so the knobs stay where you set them.
4) The ICs are socketed and optional soic pads are included for modern opamps.
5) Uses 4 dual channel opamps instead of the stock 16 op amp channels .
6) Jumper on pin headers to enable or defeat the crossover for co-axial speakers with built in crossovers. (Like the fx200 Celestion)
7) Pads included for an optional mute/standby switch
8) Tuned crossover stage to reduce the freq notch at the crossover point.
9) Tuned first two stages to reduce losses, noise, and decrease the make-up gain required by half.
10) Tuned zobel network for horn output.
11) Completely re-designed 4 band Eq
12) Premium PCB and passive components
13) Phantom power protection for the V2 from stock xlr output jack.

I am going to start a formal waitlist for the V2 preamps. It will help me to gauge quantities and pricing (I am trying to keep the target price at or near $99 plus shipping )

If you would please PM me with your name, and email (I won't spam or sell your email or creep in on your Netflix account :tearsofjoy:)
...And maybe include what you think a fair price range would be.

I can still build a small batch here if there is not enough interest to justify outsourcing the assembly, it would just move slower.

Here are some of the features and changes in the V2

1) Uses factory plugs and sockets. No soldering.
2) Adds a clip light under a clear shaft volume pot and clear knob. The clip detector is post eq.
( *the new volume pot requires slightly enlarging the stock chassis hole)
3) The 4 Eq and cut pots are premium custom pots with 40 fine clicks so the knobs stay where you set them.
4) The ICs are socketed and optional soic pads are included for modern opamps.
5) Uses 4 dual channel opamps instead of the stock 16 op amp channels .
6) Jumper on pin headers to enable or defeat the crossover for co-axial speakers with built in crossovers. (Like the fx200 Celestion)
7) Pads included for an optional mute/standby switch
8) Tuned crossover stage to reduce the freq notch at the crossover point.
9) Tuned first two stages to reduce losses, noise, and decrease the make-up gain required by half.
10) Tuned zobel network for horn output.
11) Completely re-designed 4 band Eq
12) Premium PCB and passive components
13) Phantom power protection for the V2 from stock xlr output jack.

Not to derail thread...I haven't had any luck in finding a vendor that has these FR12s in stock...any leads? Like to purchase and get on board with V2...so many good reviews I am hooked

If anyone in the UK is looking for one Guitar Guitar have just got their new batch in this morning. I managed to find a mint 2nd hand one over here and have saved my self £60. It's arriving on sat, can't wait to try it out. it will be interesting to compare it to my Mission Gemini 2.

Sorry to hijack here, and apologies if this has come up in the thread - but I am at a music store now. Are there any visual indicators on the FR12 that indicate it as a 'newer/revised' model?

Folks, $99 + shipping is a steal for an upgrade of this kind. But at this point I do not have a FR12 or FR10. Will now have to think about getting one to possibly replace what I currently have which is a Stagecraft, fairly large 1x12 cab (has open/closed back option) loaded with a Celestion f12-x200 and amped externally.

Being a garage upgrade which solve the hiss problem i believe $99 + S&H is a fair price. PCB boards and components, in small quantities, plus shipping. Just the components for the “Lysander solution” can cost around $30 and you need to do the unsoldering and soldering. High quality audio components are more expensive.

I will happily pay for the update. I can not return my FR-10, and selling it with the new ones coming without hiss will be a bad idea.

I like the FR-10 the way it is right now but taking out the hiss noise will be a great upgrade. Even if I am the only one hearing it

Being a garage upgrade which solve the hiss problem i believe $99 + S&H is a fair price. PCB boards and components, in small quantities, plus shipping. Just the components for the “Lysander solution” can cost around $30 and you need to do the unsoldering and soldering. High quality audio components are more expensive.

I will happily pay for the update. I can not return my FR-10, and selling it with the new ones coming without hiss will be a bad idea.

I like the FR-10 the way it is right now but taking out the hiss noise will be a great upgrade. Even if I am the only one hearing it
What do you mean “being a garage update”? components and soldering is not what you’re getting. You’re getting way more. Would an official fender corporation update be better? I doubt it. Is your name tony McKenzie?

Last edited:
Fender has never acknowledged the hiss was an issue. However they then changed components in the pre-amp/eq section to fix on later production units. What does that say about Fender corporate?

Fender has never acknowledged the hiss was an issue. However they then changed components in the pre-amp/eq section to fix on later production units. What does that say about Fender corporate?

That they don't want to admit they were wrong.

Do we know how they're handling people who own or have heard both and complain about it?

Back
Top Bottom