Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I received my FR-12 yesterday. Guitar Center wasn't lying about the open box thing--the box it arrived in was completely shredded. Thankfully, the FR12 was unharmed.

The hiss is definitely real. Not loud enough to matter in a band setting, but enough to be irritating at home levels. It's unfortunate Fender released it with this obvious flaw. I'm looking forward to the WKSmith upgrade.

Hiss aside, the FR12 sounds fantastic. I wouldn't say it's 100% the same as playing through a real amp/cab, but it's probably 90% there, which is far closer than anything else I've tried. Lots of inspiring tones to be had, and I found myself playing with different amps I never thought really had utility before in the FM3 (e.g., the Two-Rock model).

This feature is so important that's hard to grasp why Fender left it out!

Is it though?

Cash Money GIF by Shelem

Add me to the list - was going to pick up a pair of FR10s when they launched but the hiss reports have held me back - would happily mod a couple of units with WKSmith's boards if/when he launches!! Looks like great progress - time to start posting timeline and pricing - how about a waitlist? ;-)

Add me to the list - was going to pick up a pair of FR10s when they launched but the hiss reports have held me back - would happily mod a couple of units with WKSmith's boards if/when he launches!! Looks like great progress - time to start posting timeline and pricing - how about a waitlist? ;-)
An alternative is to replace two of the TL084 with OPA4227PA chips, 30 minute job; hiss gone.

An alternative is to replace two of the TL084 with OPA4227PA chips, 30 minute job; hiss gone.
It's a good alternative, yes. But the WKSmith Mod not only kills the hiss, but also gives us a clipping monitor and a higher quality and more streamlined circuit, which is potentially more reliable, more durable and more easily repaired in the case something goes wrong in the future. And it does not involve soldery, which is a big plus in my book.

from the unwritten FR manual.. page 1

a) Do not connect the FR XLR out to a mixer with phantom power! There is zero phantom power protection in the FR series, with the exception of the Ground lift switch. The ground lift switch does not affect the XLR input, only the XLR output. The ground lift switch lifts the ground connection when pressed IN and without the ground plane phantom power is not a complete circuit. Phantom power will absolutely toast the FR.

b) The input impedance for the balanced line in of the stock FR is 5K.

Back
Top Bottom