Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I"ve never owned a guitar with P90s but recently aquired an Anderson Hollow T Classic and I can't stop playing it. I love the voicing on the single coil so has me wondering how much I'd love a P90 guitar.
This will be my first P-90 guitar! I have played through a P-90 guitar years ago but it just wasn't on my radar. With the latest buy of the Gold top really set a fire in me for the Les Paul's and got me thinking about a P-90 version. They have come a long way with respect to playability from my last encounter.

Last edited:
Confirmed that OPA4228 is another suitable replacement to kill hiss in the FR-10/12's EQ section :D

https://thegearforum.com/threads/fender-fr-10-fr-12-noise-reduction-mod.3559/post-133182

Not exactly surprising, as this part is basically OPA4227 with a higher slew rate, but a good alternative as it is also available in DIP packaging (OPA4228PA).
HI There, realy want my tech do this mod to reduce hiss.....can you direct me to where the schematic/explanation of how to do it is? I wouldnt be able to explain it to him as I have no electronics knowledge.......

Last edited:
HI There, realy want my tech do this mod to reduce hiss.....can you direct me to where the schematic/explanation of how to do it is? I wouldnt be able to explain it to him as I have no electronics knowledge.......
@Lysander please correct me if I'm wrong but I think a super simple way to say/do it is;
replace the TL084 opamps circled in the picture below (Lysander's pic) with the OPA4227 opamps.

IMG_3623.jpeg

Edit: and if I'm understanding correctly it's best to get "good" ones. Maybe Texas Instruments branded rather than generic.

TI OPA4227PA from Mouser

Last edited:
Edited with links. Are those accurate?

Yes. The part numbers you want is OPA4227PA, for the ICs in though-hole packaging. OPA1604 is an even better alternative, but's only available in surface mount packaging - meaning it requires an adapter to be soldered.

2023-06-11 EDIT: I recommend you don't use OPA4228, as it can lead to instability. Not all opamps in the board can be replaced with it.

Also, all these are premium parts built exclusively by TI as far as i know. Which means expensive (~$10 each).

Last edited:

Rough video demo of the V2 mod eq
Overlook the scratch production, popping switches, and cowboy chords

It sounds almost identical to the factory eq, but a fraction of the hiss. And 8 less amp stages. I haven't tweaked the pot tapers yet.

Better video soon, I just wanted to share my progress.

Back
Top Bottom