Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

No it is only available to buy for waitlisters, and only when they get an invitation.
Several went out over the last 2 weeks

I have an assembly order on the way in days (or maybe hours) that should fill much of the waitlist. Another assembly order will be right behind it.
Got it. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss my window!

Not something I can do until after the V2 is in regular production . But I would be interested in their stuff for sure.
I was kind of joking. But cool!!!

I mean, I've only ever played a Trainwreck clone, and it had plenty of gain on tap and was a very sensitive amp (but still cleaned up really well).

I was kind of joking. But cool!!!

I mean, I've only ever played a Trainwreck clone, and it had plenty of gain on tap and was a very sensitive amp (but still cleaned up really well).

I still own 2 Trainwreck clones, 1 Liverpool and 1 Rocket. Both great amps with the Liverpool having much more gain than the Rocket.. I had the Ceriatone Express clone as well and sold that as I liked the Liverpool a bit more . .I also have a Allyn-Meyers Komet Concorde clone and it shares some of the Trainwreck ideas. Great amps. . I was 1 of the first Ethos (the original Dumble pedal he built) owners and it really didn't work for me. . I do have an Ethos TWE1 clone and it has its virtues. The Ethos guy lives within 30 miles from me and he's 1 of the very few musicians or people affiliated with music here in VT that I don't know at all. I do know a guy who demos some of his stuff though. . . Anyway, carryon .. .I'd be interested in the non-Fender FRFR as long as it was a backline still, didn't look like a Fender cab, and had a Coaxial setup and didn't weigh as much as a guitar cab! lol.. . If it didn't meet that criteria I"m already set for life! ha

Right on!

I would like to build a couple of versions.
I suspect the inexpensive Marshall vertical 2x12 with a fx200 coax paired with a F150 would sound really good with the right port tuning. Maybe with a baffle and half sealed/half open setup.

I would really like to use a pair of unloaded matchless 1x12 cabs for my personal stuff. Sealed and tuned perhaps.

It could work with cheap VHT cabs or similar current stuff.

I am curious about the ethos drives. I like dumbleish stuff especially the wampler euphoria. I want my drives, amps, and models to all have a huge dynamic range from clean to dirty with just lighter playing moving to digging in.

Right on!

I would like to build a couple of versions.
I suspect the inexpensive Marshall vertical 2x12 with a fx200 coax paired with a F150 would sound really good with the right port tuning. Maybe with a baffle and half sealed/half open setup.

I would really like to use a pair of unloaded matchless 1x12 cabs for my personal stuff. Sealed and tuned perhaps.

It could work with cheap VHT cabs or similar current stuff.

I am curious about the ethos drives. I like dumbleish stuff especially the wampler euphoria. I want my drives, amps, and models to all have a huge dynamic range from clean to dirty with just lighter playing moving to digging in.
First, I'm excited to see and hear whatever it is you come up with.

Second, it sounds like you would like the Ethos CFD. The FX loop is good, but it almost doesn't really need much in the way of effects (the built-in plate reverb is really good). I play around with it either using pedals or my FX8 more just for fun. There are already some good demos of it. The 2-button footswitch is for the accent control (mid/brite) on the drive channel. The clean channel in particular is a good drive/dist pedal platform. The drive channel is a little more picky about stacking a drive pedal, but it can be done very effectively. The Ethos TWE-1 works well with that at the right settings, but the hiss is much stronger going into a drive channel (of course).

Last edited:
I am wanting to do a V1 next with an off the shelf class D amp module with power supply.. and a coaxial fx200 or similar in an inexpensive cab. ..That we can build ourselves.
Completely unbound by the FR-x x limitations. It would blow it out of the water for less $.
Count on me, I am on.

What do you think: I'm already planning to pick up 2 of Liam's V2 Gold preamps. So, buy another FR-10, or just keep using my EVM along with the FR-10 I have? I have some reward points with MF, so I'm strongly considering it.

The EVM has a much quieter, but still always on hiss. Things I like about it are the multiple inputs, DSP, and ability to use in various positions. I haven't used it to run music yet (backing track, etc.), but that was an original plan before I bought it. Then again, with the new DSM & Humboldt Simplifier X, I can use that aux in to play music through the speakers.

Or maybe I just need to get back into studio mode after all these years and connect my Tascam Model 12 mixer.

No it is only available to buy for waitlisters, and only when they get an invitation.
Several went out over the last 2 weeks

I have an assembly order on the way in days (or maybe hours) that should fill much of the waitlist. Another assembly order will be right behind it.
What is the email address the invite comes from? I don’t want to miss it!

So my FR-10 arrived and I had about 15 minutes to try it with my Boss GT-1 and a Strat. First impressions are, it’s loud enough for my purpose and it definitely has enough bottom. The first thing I did was cut some bass and add a tiny bit of treble. I like how it has center detents on the tone knobs. I was trying it in my shop in the middle of the day so it’s hard to judge the hiss factor but I didn’t notice any appreciable hiss, at least nothing that seemed to stand out over the normal background noise, people talking, fans running, etc. That said, I can see how tweaking the EQ will be a plus as the treble control seems to get a little harsh, probably due to its center frequency and curve. I am looking forward to using this and seeing how much of an improvement the V2 module is with regard to the general tone of the unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom