Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Yes. It would be much better to use a TRS cable. A TRS from the HX to an XLR in on the FR would be the way to go.
Hi Liam,
Does the same apply going via the 1/4 out jacks on the FM9? I typically go out of the 1/4 jack of the FM9 with a standard instrument cable to the FR10 and then take an XLR out from the FR10 to the desk (less cables running across the stage)
The FR10 carries most of the room sound with a little through the FOH for balance/fill.
Compared to what I'm doing now, would there be a volume difference using a TRS or XLR from the FM9 to the FR10? (this is on a stock, pre-fix FR-10, but hopefully not for too much longer 😉)

Hi Liam,
Does the same apply going via the 1/4 out jacks on the FM9? I typically go out of the 1/4 jack of the FM9 with a standard instrument cable to the FR10 and then take an XLR out from the FR10 to the desk (less cables running across the stage)
The FR10 carries most of the room sound with a little through the FOH for balance/fill.
Compared to what I'm doing now, would there be a volume difference using a TRS or XLR from the FM9 to the FR10? (this is on a stock, pre-fix FR-10, but hopefully not for too much longer 😉)
Yes the FR really needs +4 balanced in as XLR to really sound great.

Yes the FR really needs +4 balanced in as XLR to really sound great.
Regarding this "+4" thing... This number refers to the inherent signal voltage of a balanced connection, right? Or is it a setting that I have to change inside a menu, like adding 4dB to the output after I connected to the FR-12 XLR input?

Regarding this "+4" thing... This number refers to the inherent signal voltage of a balanced connection, right? Or is it a setting that I have to change inside a menu, like adding 4dB to the output after I connected to the FR-12 XLR input?
On the FM9 go to setup/ I/O / Audio and then scroll down to the channel input levels, it will say either +4 or -10...choose +4 for connecting to pro stuff.

Besides the convenience of the separate 1 and 2 output controls, why couldn't you just run xlr out of the FM3 into the FR and then use the xlr out on that to feed the house? As far as I know tweaking the FR doesn't affect the xlr output right?

Btw I have been running my FM3 xlr outs (output 1) to foh and a trs to xlr out of output 2 to the FR. I didn't realize it was unbalanced. It sounds ok though and is plenty loud enough for my purposes.

Besides the convenience of the separate 1 and 2 output controls, why couldn't you just run xlr out of the FM3 into the FR and then use the xlr out on that to feed the house? As far as I know tweaking the FR doesn't affect the xlr output right?
I think you're right, and the added phantom power protection by the V2 circuit makes this feature even better.

Last edited:
Humbuster outs aren't balanced but do work for some folks. I wish there was a software switch to set the 1/4" outs as either humbuster or balanced.
I am sure Cliff thought long and hard about that though before dedicating the outs as humbusters. And I trust his judgement and experience more than most folks ..by miles.

I had the fix done by authorized local shop, and to me the sound sounds much more boomy, with exccess bass, but the hiss is gone.
I checked few pages and the first page and do not see where we are with wait list, I signed up on May 3

I had the fix done by authorized local shop, and to me the sound sounds much more boomy, with exccess bass, but the hiss is gone.
I checked few pages and the first page and do not see where we are with wait list, I signed up on May 3
Yes the hiss is much less but so are the highs with the factory hiss fix.

I don't want to get a hundred emails asking "where am I on the waitlist" or "making sure I didn't miss an invite" , or show F-corp my hand ..so I don't say much about it publically.

I sent (roughly) 60 preamps to 45ish customers before taking a break for more custom pots to arrive. I sent a small batch out last week, and a bigger one is going out this week.

We are still on February waitlist positions. The waitlist is still sitting at way over 100 folks with at least 1/3 of folks buying 2 V2s ..it's a lot of preamps. I am still adding folks daily. Your patience is much appreciated.

Soon (ish) 🤣
Liam

I just got in an order of flexible tacky clear washers for the V2 volume knob yesterday. All future orders will ship with these included. If you press down on the knob when installing it gets super hard to turn .. or press lightly for a less tactile smoother rotation.

This eliminates the knob wiggling or having almost no resistance when turning due to using pots with no threaded bushing (which eliminated the need to drill the chassis hole out larger)

IMG_1916.jpeg

I just got in an order of flexible tacky clear washers for the V2 volume knob yesterday. All future orders will ship with these included. If you press down on the knob when installing it gets super hard to turn .. or press lightly for a less tactile smoother rotation.

This eliminates the knob wiggling or having almost no resistance when turning due to using pots with no threaded bushing (which eliminated the need to drill the chassis hole out larger)

View attachment 143559
Hi Liam,

Could you please share the measurements / specifications of those washers? I wonder if I can find them here so I could enhance my "V2 experience" 🤣

Hi Liam,

Could you please share the measurements / specifications of those washers? I wonder if I can find them here so I could enhance my "V2 experience" 🤣
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CXTDFDPS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I have a different type due in today that I am going to try with a black knob.. to see if we can get the clip light to light a ring under the black knob. I hope to offer black or clear knobs for the volume control in the very near future.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CXTDFDPS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I have a different type due in today that I am going to try with a black knob.. to see if we can get the clip light to light a ring under the black knob. I hope to offer black or clear knobs for the volume control in the very near future.
I've just found some washers like those available for purchase around here, but I think I'll wait for your tests with the other type and the black knob. If the clipping LED is still easily visible around the black knob, then maybe it could be a winner option!

The gold's are installed, easy peasy with the install manual...15 minutes for the first 10 for the second...

My first impression lasted too long and now I have sore fingers...my first complaint...
Also I have to leave a fan on so I remember to shut the amps down at night...without the hiss to remind me...
One more complaint and then on to the good stuff...I am neglecting other important things...because I have to keep playing...of course...!!!

The good stuff:

NO HISS...NONE (except at bedtime when I hear the reminder fan)
Chewy...no...CHEWY CHEWY gain tones that enable me to hear the nuances created using my expression pedal (for various stuff) and the way pedal creating a glorious cacophony of delays, overtones and some sweet feedback....WOW!!

The EQ section is brilliant and the tone is improved a lot at low to mid volume ...I will get to crank them soon!
Silky smooth is the sound and feel I get from this preamp in both high gain and clean tones and yes even the cut control is better.

I can't wait to get the red light flashing for some added Burr-Brown fun!
Well worth the wait!

Liam is a scholar and a gentleman and he has created something to be proud of!!!

Welcome to The Waffle House. I am also working on a better waffle maker.

And confirming the rumor that there actually is a V3 in the works. Tiny but mighty with some major cool improvements.
I am going to continue fill orders from the waitlist with the remaining V2 stock (saving a few for any potential future warranty issues), but the V2 just became a very exclusive limited edition.

No design details to share yet, but here is a preview of what's coming next. There will be no waitlist for the V3... just a heads up posted here when I am about to drop a large quantity on Reverb. Cleaner, quieter, with more headroom, It will be Epic!

Here are some pics showing the size progression from the F-corp stock (hiss fixed) trash pre, to the V2, to the V3 mocked up.

IMG_1931.jpg

v3.png

Last edited:
Welcome to The Waffle House. I am also working on a better waffle maker.

And confirming the rumor that there actually is a V3 in the works. Tiny but mighty with some major cool improvements.
I am going to continue fill orders from the waitlist with the remaining V2 stock (saving a few for any potential future warranty issues), but the V2 just became a very exclusive limited edition.

No design details to share yet, but here is a preview of what's coming next. There will be no waitlist for the V3... just a heads up posted here when I am about to drop a large quantity on Reverb. Cleaner, quieter, with more headroom, It will be Epic!

Here are some pics showing the size progression from the F-corp stock (hiss fixed) trash pre, to the V2, to the V3 mocked up.

View attachment 143730

View attachment 143729
Yeah, I'll be on board for 2 of those, even over the V2 golds. Thank you Liam! You and Cliff (and crew) are peas in the same pod.

Back
Top Bottom