Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Hello,I asked if there is a list with serial numbers of the affected models and this is what they answered:
That information is not correct. Fender US, EMEA, and Pacific are all aligned in their policy. We are addressing concerns regarding the level of hiss that some people are reporting on FR speakers and are checking the amps to make sure this is corrected if there is an issue, but we are not recalling FR speakers by serial numbers.

So I ordered an FR-12 from GC a few days ago and it arrived this afternoon. The box indicates a production date of April 2024 and yes it has an audible hiss, but like most of the factory "modded/repaired" ones you'll really only notice it when it's idle.

I guess I expected a bit more from it, but I feel as though the sound is somewhat two dimensional and, for lack of a better word, a bit harsh. I felt this way about the EV PXM-12MP I tried and every lower level studio monitor I've paired with my FM-3. This goes for virtually every preset, factory or otherwise. Maybe it's just my ears, but so far I've only liked what I hear through my Sennheiser headphones. So unless I doing something wrong I plan on returning it. FYI, I never felt that way about my 70s silverface Deluxe Reverb.
Just to confirm, you turned it up yeah?

So I'll comment on the above: Both the FR series and EV PXM are great monitors. Plenty of volume and versatility.

I think the post relates more to a difference in the feel of digital modeling + IR integration than anything else. Neither that, nor the raw amp sound and feel are a bad thing. Just different strokes for different folks.

The Axe FX III is astounding with everything Cliff and crew have achieved. I was immediately blown away. The upgrade in effects is just monstrous, and so are those Dynacabs! The modeling itself isn't lacking.

Personally (and this isn't meant to speak negatively about digital), I'm enjoying more the use of analog amp/cab modeling pedals. And currently, I mainly either use the FX8 or HX Effects with them, in either 4 or 7CM. I've said it many times, and it probably won't ever happen, but an updated FX8 is top of my list. I'll likely wind up with an FM9 at some point in the near future.

Hello,I asked if there is a list with serial numbers of the affected models and this is what they answered:
That information is not correct. Fender US, EMEA, and Pacific are all aligned in their policy. We are addressing concerns regarding the level of hiss that some people are reporting on FR speakers and are checking the amps to make sure this is corrected if there is an issue, but we are not recalling FR speakers by serial numbers.
I don't think anyone has said anything about a "recall".

That's not the same thing as replacing a defective part.

Obviously, others have been told by Fender that there's a range of serial numbers that are eligible for a replacement as it's been reported multiple times.

I know. I haven't said it either.
The only thing I asked them is if they had the serial numbers of the affected ones to find out.
It is not very logical to buy a new amp and have to send it who knows where here in Spain because it has a known problem.

There have been a lot of mishandled official responses about the hiss from the beginning. They have dug themselves quite a hole.

I would say buy a Redsound from FAS. I trust their opinion more than most.

.. But I haven't heard one personally. Perhaps our Italian friends will send a pair my way. Especially in the rumored 12" offering...
I could share a what makes the FRs feel like a backline (and all the FR -x secret schematic of stupid) , and even offer a really nice preamp design that would put the F-corp, EV, CLR, XiTones, Laney, etc.. FRFR offerings way down at the bottom of the pile.
... Even better than the humble V2 that is still making F-corp look like complete fools.

I like Italian engineering a lot. I have a garage full already. I could get onboard with a company that puts people first, and builds an excellent product. Perhaps our paths will meet.

Last edited:
So I ordered an FR-12 from GC a few days ago and it arrived this afternoon. The box indicates a production date of April 2024 and yes it has an audible hiss, but like most of the factory "modded/repaired" ones you'll really only notice it when it's idle.

I guess I expected a bit more from it, but I feel as though the sound is somewhat two dimensional and, for lack of a better word, a bit harsh. I felt this way about the EV PXM-12MP I tried and every lower level studio monitor I've paired with my FM-3. This goes for virtually every preset, factory or otherwise. Maybe it's just my ears, but so far I've only liked what I hear through my Sennheiser headphones. So unless I doing something wrong I plan on returning it. FYI, I never felt that way about my 70s silverface Deluxe Reverb.
Yeah, I got my FR-12 today (directly from Fender), it has a date of April 2024 on the box and it hisses too. I had a nasty hum when I plugged my FM9 in but it went away when I plugged the FM9 and FR-12 into the same outlet. (Ground loop). i guess I’ll see about getting on the list and buying one of the improved boards.

There have been a lot of mishandled official responses about the hiss from the beginning. They have dug themselves quite a hole.

I would say buy a Redsound from FAS. I trust their opinion more than most.

.. But I haven't heard one personally. Perhaps our Italian friends will send a pair my way. Especially in the rumored 12" offering...
I could share a what makes the FRs feel like a backline (and all the FR -x secret schematic of stupid) , and even offer a really nice preamp design that would put the F-corp, EV, CLR, XiTones, Laney, etc.. FRFR offerings way down at the bottom of the pile.
... Even better than the humble V2 that is still making F-corp look like complete fools.

I like Italian engineering a lot. I have a garage full already. I could get onboard with a company that puts people first, and builds an excellent product. Perhaps our paths will meet.
M@ responded to a post regarding the difference between some of today's FRFR solutions. About the Redsound, "there's a reason why we carry them in our store", or something to that effect. He's right. Even just the Elis 8s have a distinct audiophile quality about them (let alone what the 10" and forthcoming 12" models must have to offer!). Although the volume is insufficient (depending on the source) until you reach a certain level, this tells me that the preamp is likely just more responsive. I'm not an audio engineer, so I can't explain that exactly the way I mean to, but I'm assuming it has much to do with the sensitivity and impedance. That being said, there is also something special with that driver and whatever engineering magic they did with the bass port. All I know is, the speakers open up in an amazing way at full volume. This is not at all unusual with audiophile equipment.

Now, I will say that I am anticipating a dramatic improvement from my FR-10s with the V2 Gold preamps. Right now, they're sitting off to the side (because hiss-free is the way to be!). In addition to no hiss, what to expect from the V2 mod are: clarity, detail, eq improvement, bass response, and other things mentioned here already. This is what a high quality preamp does! And, if I was a betting man, the FRs are what I will likely keep (along with the EV PXM). This takes nothing at all away from the Elis 8s or the amazing Cubo I also have (and would recommend for its own unique features and purposes). With the FRs and EV, you get the addition of a line out, which is quite welcome for gigging applications. Of course, as I mentioned previously here, you get a line out with the Redsound Pro/M series, and I would imagine that could be added to a Blueamps product as well. Note that the Elis 8s and Cubo are even more amazing for such a compact package.

V2 Update!!!

As of today the V2 project is on hold. ..call it a vacation :cool: couple of weeks... maybe more.

I currently have more of those unobtanium custom micro detent pots being made overseas by the same factory that made the original pots over 12 years ago. I just received several more tubes of the OPA2134s. The BurrBrown 2134s have increased by 1$ each and are no longer available from Texas Instruments in this PDIP package, as they are at end of life (just in the PDIP size). And these custom pots are not cheap.

The Standard $99 preamp will not be available moving forward. Only 10 preamps since the V2 orders started have been for the standard or standard+ models. That is not enough demand to justify 2 separate SKUs.

The Gold IC upgrade will be the only option. Super. Simple . There is now only one V2.
...and sadly, it will increase by $10 to $139 each, to cover both the price increase for the ICs
and for the Custom pots that I have in production ..these pots are not available anywhere else. (not Alpha, Alps, Panasonic, Debon, etc..)

I started shipping these on April 1st. I have filled exactly half of the waitlist orders (as of the April 1st waitlist) in just 10 weeks!... but the waitlist now always stays well over 100 folks (and up to 150-200 V2s) ahead of me and keeps growing exponentially. I know the wait seems long, but this is a lot better than a lot of companies can deliver. And I am just one kinda busted old dude. And its hot! lol

Please (for the love of Gawd!) do not msg or email me to see when your number is coming up. The answer will be one word that starts with a "S" and ends with "oon". it just holds the whole thing up. ... even the super polite "just checking to see if I missed an invite?" ones.

I am weighing the return on investing in another board revision and production using SMT SOIC Burr Brown 2134s after this next batch of 5 dozen or so is done. I may pull the plug. ..or I may scale it up. I have barely covered my initial investment, and then this week I ordered more ICs and pots.

anyhoo.
I am gonna work on my rig, get on my honeyDo list, go fishing, and make a few beach trips, work on this yard and house, re-stock the shop, date this hot wife of mine, put some good miles on a crazy Maserati, take a margarita or two to the pool... you get the idea.

Then 5 dozen V2s will quickly be on the truck once these pots come in. ..after that, who knows?

if this is too much, call FAS and order a Redsound or two. Fender isn't gonna do anything about the FR issues. They are built by a 3rd party (Hanser) with the Fender name put on them. That is how most of their stuff is made. I have shown the right way to do this...perhaps some FRFR company is interested in destroying the competition for the next decade. I will be happy to help.

I love y'all! Thanks for helping me finish what I started. It has been pretty awesome.

More
...soon

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your hard work Liam. You've made many a guitar player, me in particular, very happy and I think of you with a smile on my face every time I power up my Archangel V2 Gold FR-12.

Enjoy your well deserved break and we'll look forward to hearing about your future ventures in the fullness of time.

So close but so far..😅 At the end of May, @WKSmith mentioned he'd started on the batches for the 30 from the February waitlist so I know I'm one of those 😁...I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
Thanks for the update Liam and enjoy your break! It'll give me a break from excitedly checking my forum messages twice a day too!

Your updates (both in terms of forum posts and engineering of the V2) are a welcome and stark contrast to those from a certain global multi-national corporation......

Enjoy your well deserved break from all of your hard work Liam. I'm praying that you don't have to pull the plug too soon as I've been so excited about getting two of the V2 golds since being added to the list on March 24th but I totally understand the challenges of supply availability and increasing demand! Hang in there, and above all else, have fun! :)

Personally (and this isn't meant to speak negatively about digital), I'm enjoying more the use of analog amp/cab modeling pedals. And currently, I mainly either use the FX8 or HX Effects with them, in either 4 or 7CM. I've said it many times, and it probably won't ever happen, but an updated FX8 is top of my list. I'll likely wind up with an FM9 at some point in the near future.

I'm curious about what modeling pedals are you referring to. Are they the UA amp pedals? The Friedman ones? Could you elaborate a little about the differences you hear or feel between them and the fractal models?

Last edited:
I installed my V2 Standard+ today, expecting the hiss to disappear with relatively minimal change to the sound.

Woah. I was wrong. Caveat: the placebo effect is real and I haven't compared a stock FR12 to the V2-modded FR12... but I think this is actually a big improvement. The highs seem smoother and less shrill. I can dial in brighter amp sounds before they become harsh. The lows feel tighter. I just got lost playing and forgot about time for the last hour. That hasn't happened in a while.

Oh, and the hiss is gone, of course.

Thanks, @WKSmith for your hard work on this product and for showing us the design process. Really glad I stumbled into the thread and bought a V2.

I installed my V2 Standard+ today, expecting the hiss to disappear with relatively minimal change to the sound.

Woah. I was wrong. Caveat: the placebo effect is real and I haven't compared a stock FR12 to the V2-modded FR12... but I think this is actually a big improvement. The highs seem smoother and less shrill. I can dial in brighter amp sounds before they become harsh. The lows feel tighter. I just got lost playing and forgot about time for the last hour. That hasn't happened in a while.

Oh, and the hiss is gone, of course.

Thanks, @WKSmith for your hard work on this product and for showing us the design process. Really glad I stumbled into the thread and bought a V2.
I am glad you love the Standard + that is a great sounding pre.
... and you got the very last one of only ten. (Eleven if you count mine🤣)

Back
Top Bottom