Feeding a vocalist live

andyp13

Power User
I'm using a vocalist live in my setup and I need to feed a signal into it to help trigger the harmonies.
I'm using the 4CM with my boogie (using the clean only Chanel). I have taken an output from the right Chanel into the vocalist, but the signal is way to hot, and all the fx go into it as well, when I step on a drive the vocalist goes into the red etc.

Is there anyway I can send a low volume signal with no effects out of the right Chanel into the vocalist?

My next problem is -
If I get a matrix gt800 amp, I would likely go stereo, resulting in me losing the feed to the vocalist.
Could I send a feed out of one of the other outputs?

TIA

I'm using a vocalist live in my setup and I need to feed a signal into it to help trigger the harmonies.
I'm using the 4CM with my boogie (using the clean only Chanel). I have taken an output from the right Chanel into the vocalist, but the signal is way to hot, and all the fx go into it as well, when I step on a drive the vocalist goes into the red etc.

Is there anyway I can send a low volume signal with no effects out of the right Chanel into the vocalist?

My next problem is -
If I get a matrix gt800 amp, I would likely go stereo, resulting in me losing the feed to the vocalist.
Could I send a feed out of one of the other outputs?

TIA

would the fx send work for you?

On my "Voicelive Rack" the guitar plugs directly into the "Guitar" input. Then the signal comes out of the "Through" output to the Axe-FX ll input.

On my "Voicelive Rack" the guitar plugs directly into the "Guitar" input. Then the signal comes out of the "Through" output to the Axe-FX ll input.

I have found my guitar to hot to go straight into the vocalist, when I solo I have an EMG in hubucker and a mid boost on.
I guess I could try it, I was not keen on putting something in the way of going directly in.
I also have the MIDI out of the axe into the MIDI in of the vocalist, if the axe is switched on first the vocalist freezes on boot up?
Have you found this?

Since you are using 4CM into a mono amp, you are probably only using the left inputs and outputs on the Axe. You could maybe pan everything on the grid to hard left and then use a volume block in parallel right after the input panned hard right to feed the right channel of the FX loop block (output 2 right). You could then use the volume block to control the level going to the vocalist via output 2 right.

Same could work going to output 1 right instead of the FX loop as well if you run the parallel volume block all the way to the output and pan it hard right. Just be sure to pan the other grid signal(s) hard left before the output block so there's no mixing of the two.

You could skip the volume block & just create a path of shunts from input to FXL block. At the first FXL page balance the rows left/right and adjust the tuner feed level if needed.

With vocal harmonizers I have never had much luck running a guitar electric or acoustic signal into them to help it choose its harmony's there was always some sort of ghosting interfering, false triggering etc... So in my case I never run anything into a vocal harmonizer except the vocal mic, from there I just program the patch to proper key and harmony intervals... then everything seems to stay very clean and true. With that method you just have to be well up on figuring out the real key signatures and do the math.

I have a Voicelive 2 and I trigger from an Acoustic, a bass and an Evertune ESP that has the active EMG 80 & 81 pickups (very hot). Never had any issues with signal levels. Go from guitar direct to VL 'then' to any other effects in your chain from the thru jack. We utilize about 11 devices in a MIDI chain. No lockups on the VL. Only issues were having to get a MIDI splitter because the Roland GR55's don't do 'thru'.

I run out of my wireless unit ( it has XLR AND 1/4" outputs): one output to my Axe FX II, and the other to either my vocalist 3 or vocalist live rack. I thought about sending it from the Axe FX outputs somehow, but thought having the cleanest sound possible would only work if I used the wireless outputs! And it works greatly!

My next venture when I have time is to hook up the VL3 via MFC101 midi!

Every time I see this thread title I "autocomplete" it as "Feeding a vocalist live... mealworms"

I run out of my wireless unit ( it has XLR AND 1/4" outputs): one output to my Axe FX II, and the other to either my vocalist 3 or vocalist live rack. I thought about sending it from the Axe FX outputs somehow, but thought having the cleanest sound possible would only work if I used the wireless outputs! And it works greatly!

My next venture when I have time is to hook up the VL3 via MFC101 midi!

Iv managed to do that, I put a foot-switch into the MFC which switches the VL3 Harmony on/off, works a treat - but was a nightmare to set up.

I confirmed with MidiOx that the VL3 sends PC messages when you use the Step function.

That should allow Fractal Scene changes using the VL3 but I have tried it yet.

I have a Vocalist Live Pro and was planning for the same for a while, until plans changed...

I first bought a LEHLE splitter that I never tested, but seems up to this job with good quality.
(they are heavier than you would think btw)

I never tried it since I realized I had OUT options enough on the Axe (not using 4CM).

Also in my notes is that going into the Vocalist first sucks serious tone acc. to some.

I use it all too little to be able to tell you my opinion... Maybe the splitter is a help though :)

Back
Top Bottom