Feedback loop / fuzz - David Torn type OTT Fuzz sound?

BadMelonFarmer

Power User
Hi Guys,

any ideas on how to get that "Feedback Loop / Fuzz" like the OTT fuzz sound that David Torn gets.

Not looking for the EXACT same tone, but something in that ball park.

it is more that just a Fuzz.

I know he uses a PTD Tornita

http://www.myspace.com/paultrombettadesign

which is a feedback / fuzz.

is there anyway to get that "feedback loop" on the Axe-FX?

another exaple is ..

http://ohnoho.com/utter-stutter/

Could be fun!

Don't want to start down the pedal route again, just sold a load to get the Axe-Fx.

Cheers

BMF

BadMelonFarmer said:
I caved and ordered a Tornita :mrgreen:

great.

If you could be so kind to record the pedal, it'd help me to pinpoint it's sound in the Axe.
I know a DI signal from the pedal won't sound pretty, but it'll give me a chance to take a look at the waveform generated and it's EQ.

My guess so far is a Fuzz Face set to FW Rect with a feedback loop. The results are promising and great fun - thanks for the idea! :D

I couldn't resist - I'm gonna order a "Feeder Bone" when I next get paid.
It's a cross between the Feeder, Fudge and Mini-Bone pedals :cool:
I've heard hundreds of pedals and none of them grabbed me like Trombetta's pedals do.

soularflair said:
I couldn't resist - I'm gonna order a "Feeder Bone" when I next get paid.
It's a cross between the Feeder, Fudge and Mini-Bone pedals :cool:
I've heard hundreds of pedals and none of them grabbed me like Trombetta's pedals do.

It's friggin awesome, that's my pedal in the clip :D

DonPetersen said:
BadMelonFarmer said:

great.

If you could be so kind to record the pedal, it'd help me to pinpoint it's sound in the Axe.
I know a DI signal from the pedal won't sound pretty, but it'll give me a chance to take a look at the waveform generated and it's EQ.

My guess so far is a Fuzz Face set to FW Rect with a feedback loop. The results are promising and great fun - thanks for the idea! :D

Yes, can do! Let's work on it.

I should be getting it next week, but I am away on vacation for a couple of weeks, so not realistically not going to be able to do any recording until some time in November .

But happy to help to try and get a patch for it.

Cheers

BMF

BadMelonFarmer said:
DonPetersen said:
BadMelonFarmer said:

great.

Yes, can do! Let's work on it.

I should be getting it next week, but I am away on vacation for a couple of weeks, so not realistically not going to be able to do any recording until some time in November .

But happy to help to try and get a patch for it.

Cheers

BMF

alright!

great! :)

I have a Tornita (that I love) and figured it was going to need to be one of the pedals I hung onto, since the Axe couldn't replicate it. But if it's possible, I'd love to hear how.

I can make the recording you're looking for, if it's helpful and helps speed the process along a bit. What kind of recording are you looking for? So DI, but then just playing an E for a while, or playing cords, or what?

gendefect said:
I have a Tornita (that I love) and figured it was going to need to be one of the pedals I hung onto, since the Axe couldn't replicate it. But if it's possible, I'd love to hear how.

I can make the recording you're looking for, if it's helpful and helps speed the process along a bit. What kind of recording are you looking for? So DI, but then just playing an E for a while, or playing cords, or what?

hey.

thanks for offering to do this.
I need 100% wet recordings of a DI signal (let's say bridge HB) of a sustained note (open E will do nicely), and some strumming (basic E and A chords, let ring). Once with no feedback, once with feedback really high, where it goes into dub territory.
.wav 24 bit if possible, or >160kbps .mp3

I pm-ed you my email, it can take quite a few MBs ;)
thank you.

Just got mine, but it is sitting it it's box as I am on vacation without a guitar or amp lol

Can help with the recordings when I get back.

Nice looking unit though!

I was able to make the recording of the Tornita and sent it to Don tonight. I think he said he wouldn't be able to get to it for a few days, but once he has the time, I'll be excited to hear what he comes up with!

wow.
this thing is insane. :lol:

not unlike my Fuzz Factory, but much bigger sounding.
interesting frequency spectrum:

tornita-spectrum.jpg

DonPetersen said:
wow.
this thing is insane. :lol:

not unlike my Fuzz Factory, but much bigger sounding.
interesting frequency spectrum:

tornita-spectrum.jpg

And that's without moving the big frequency knob at all...

Hi Don,

Did you get anywhere with this?

what do you use to get the frequency readout above?

I guess you use it to compare the original pedal and then try to emulate it with the Axe-FX??

I have another fuzz pedal coming soon on a loan that I would like to try and capture to see if I can emulate it when I finally get an Axe-FX II.

So any pointers to the software you use would be a great help.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom