FEB 2011 - The things we CAN and CANNOT do

Scott... I think what he really wants to talk about is the moon landing and how this video shows proof of how America faked it just so they wouldn't look inferior to the Soviets... turns out the Moon actually has some color to it, and we never thought about that when we "faked" the landing.

I keep hard copy notes of what IR I have in each slot; and a live Google Doc that keep an archive of my cab IR mix recipes to keep track. I name each mix uniquely. Pretty low tech system that just works for me.
It's a low tech system but your forced into it, there's no alternative. I've read your posts, you're not a low-tech guy.

Had cliff squeezed 8 user slots for Redwirez, then later announced an additional 2 slots where you can save any IR (or 2 IR's) to your pc without having to use notes documents and stickies, I think there would have been much joy and celebration in the land.

In general I have a hard time fathoming when people do and think differently than I. When I am King, I plan to do away with it entirely.

It's a low tech system but your forced into it, there's no alternative. I've read your posts, you're not a low-tech guy.

Had cliff squeezed 8 user slots for Redwirez, then later announced an additional 2 slots where you can save any IR (or 2 IR's) to your pc without having to use notes documents and stickies, I think there would have been much joy and celebration in the land.

In general I have a hard time fathoming when people do and think differently than I. When I am King, I plan to do away with it entirely.

Makes no sense, sorry.

The Axe-FX was the first guitar processor that allowed you to upload your own cabinet IR's. It wasn't designed to do it; it was done in a firmware update. It still allows you 1028 resolution IR's, more than any other specific guitar processor stand alone that I am aware of.

So yes, two slots would be better than none. But where you get the '8 Red Wire' stuff from... I'd prefer to control what IR's go in, Red Wire nonwithstanding. What I use, I want to determine.

And yea, I'm more low tech than you think. I've a few massive folders on the Axe-FX from through the years. I consider myself a student of what I need it to do and finding ways to get it to do it for me. Other folks - obviously - utilize and do very different things with it.

But alas, in our own bubbles, we are indeed Kings with the tools at hand.

And so it goes.

Makes no sense, sorry.

The Axe-FX was the first guitar processor that allowed you to upload your own cabinet IR's. It wasn't designed to do it; it was done in a firmware update. It still allows you 1028 resolution IR's, more than any other specific guitar processor stand alone that I am aware of.

So yes, two slots would be better than none. But where you get the '8 Red Wire' stuff from... I'd prefer to control what IR's go in, Red Wire nonwithstanding. What I use, I want to determine.

And yea, I'm more low tech than you think. I've a few massive folders on the Axe-FX from through the years. I consider myself a student of what I need it to do and finding ways to get it to do it for me. Other folks - obviously - utilize and do very different things with it.

But alas, in our own bubbles, we are indeed Kings with the tools at hand.

And so it goes.
I'm either obviously missing something or not being understood, or some funky combo of the two.

I'm not ragging on the Axe. It's a once in a lifetime piece of gear. If you had given me the tour, shown me all it could do I would have guessed a price tag of 5-7k. I know Cliff squeezed out 10 slots from the Axe's hardware in an update.

My point is if you had 8 or 9 used the way it is now, and 1 or 2 dedicated for the editor so that it keeps track of what IR you loaded from your vast collection, you could jettison all notes, stickies and paper napkins forever.

I agree Sheky. If I could save 10 different user cab IRS to each preset,I would be a happy man. Seems do-able, with some code writing, and patience.

By the way, LOVE the Jay Mitchell thing. I've been there.

Provided the User slots were put back to their original states unless forced otherwise. I would go mental if I were to loose 2 or more user slots for this as is - I use all 10 slots live at some point or other (and my patches are designed around these carefully chosen mixes or stock cabs)! This idiea is only any good for recording and playing around at home when you have access to the editor.

I found other threads, see http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29100 and http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29203 but the same prequistite would have to apply and NOT be vendor specific of course! Even better would be an editor based IR Mixer in addition to this. Either way, most of these would cause issue if you wanted these patches in a live situation (although the addition of an IR mixer would be good for desgning your 10 slots) - maybe fine if only sat next to your PC or for recording purposes.

However:
Either way, you are then also reliant on the editor storing the IR locations seperately to the actual patches (or using a new file format that cannot be uploaded to the AxeFX without the editor - but at least the files and/or names could be embedded in the actual patch I suppose). It just sounds sooo easy to screw up. Without embedding info, if you moved IR's it's busted. If you edit patches on the AxeFX at a gig, then what?? I don't mean to sh!t on your party, but I think this is all a bit flawed...

Sometimes constraints are actually a good thing for the sake of simplicity and reliability. AxeEdit will continue to evolve and ideas are great, but they have to work for everybody...

Griffin:
Totally agreed, it would be a bag of worms unless done correctly. I'm working on trying to just use a simple ( mac mini) laptop when I'm playing live, with basically nothing on it except for the Axe Edit, and user cab IR files. I just wheel my home recording rig out live, and have a double for a backup just in case. Connections, etc, are a lot easier.

I love your stickers for the foot controllers, and ideas by the way. Keep em coming. The spirit of sharing and nurturing anothers knowledge and creativity is definitely in your postings, thanks so much.

Hmmmmm...

What if we asked somebody 10 years ago what he though was more possible or doable in the future:

- Secuence DNA
- Perfect tube amp modelling

???

To me, it's great that it can handle 10 IR taking in account that formerly it was not capable of that and it was made through Firmware update... amazing.

Anyway, if it was capable of 100 IR, this post would be the same, we human beings are always with that "I want more"

Provided the User slots were put back to their original states unless forced otherwise. I would go mental if I were to loose 2 or more user slots for this as is - I use all 10 slots live at some point or other (and my patches are designed around these carefully chosen mixes or stock cabs)!

How about losing just one slot - would that be worth it for you? It's true, for someone who has now dedicated all 10 slots for certain IR's, it would cause problems for those patches referencing the user 1 slot. Ooooh - how about this - Program the editor to allow you to toggle User slots to allow what I'm suggesting. This way everyone's happy (except the programmers).

I found other threads, see http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29100 and http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29203 but the same prequistite would have to apply and NOT be vendor specific of course!

Didn't see that thread - have go through them but it looks like he's suggesting the same thing. Obviouly it wouldn't be vendor specific - the editor would just look for a file so that wouldn't be a problem.

However:
Either way, you are then also reliant on the editor storing the IR locations seperately to the actual patches (or using a new file format that cannot be uploaded to the AxeFX without the editor - but at least the files and/or names could be embedded in the actual patch I suppose). It just sounds sooo easy to screw up. Without embedding info, if you moved IR's it's busted. If you edit patches on the AxeFX at a gig, then what?? I don't mean to sh!t on your party, but I think this is all a bit flawed...

Sometimes constraints are actually a good thing for the sake of simplicity and reliability. AxeEdit will continue to evolve and ideas are great, but they have to work for everybody...

I don't see editor dependent cab referencing as a problem more than in any other application. If I move my wav files in my DAW, my sessions can't load them. If I move my Excel documents, Excel can't find them. In this case the editor would give you a simple "file not found" error.

That's the bottom line - it has to work for everybody - or at least almost everybody. That's why having this an option would be great for everyone.

Hmmmmm...

What if we asked somebody 10 years ago what he though was more possible or doable in the future:

- Secuence DNA
- Perfect tube amp modelling

???

To me, it's great that it can handle 10 IR taking in account that formerly it was not capable of that and it was made through Firmware update... amazing.

Anyway, if it was capable of 100 IR, this post would be the same, we human beings are always with that "I want more"
Good point, we should not suggest any improvements b/c the Axe does tube modeling.

Also, I think we have too many stock IR's, maybe Cliff can reduce them to 10 too.

Don't get out much, so every once in a while I like to fact-check so as not to embarrass myself at social gatherings:

THE THING WE CAN DO:
- Space Travel
- Instant audio/video communication across the globe
- Sequence DNA
- Harness the sun's energy to power our homes and cars

You forgot one itemon the "CAN" side:

- We can model 70 popular tube amps and 50 popular cabinets with one simple black box and with a level of quality that defies most ears to tell the difference. As a bonus we can model 10 additional cab models of our choosing and include a s##tload of high quality effects all routed the way we want them.

Thinking about this "CAN" may help to accept current "CANNOTS"

I agree Sheky. If I could save 10 different user cab IRS to each preset,I would be a happy man. Seems do-able, with some code writing, and patience.

By the way, LOVE the Jay Mitchell thing. I've been there.
Jay's great, he just knows too much.

You forgot one itemon the "CAN" side:

- We can model 70 popular tube amps and 50 popular cabinets with one simple black box and with a level of quality that defies most ears to tell the difference. As a bonus we can model 10 additional cab models of our choosing and include a s##tload of high quality effects all routed the way we want them.

Thinking about this "CAN" may help to accept current "CANNOTS"
Note to self:

NO MORE TONGUE-IN-CHEEK POSTS ON AXE FX FORUM

At the moment, each patch or bank is stored in AxeFX format ie a syx that will transfer both ways. Currently All the data for the editor currently comes from this alone. This is good and reliable.

This and like proposals requires external meta data or steering away from the compatible format. Either would not be without complexity and pitfall. This I have very real world experience of.

Not saying I don't like the idea, and it would be possible (if a usercab can be backed up without a system dump) (It with an IR mixer would be cool), I just think it could be a logistical nightmare and potentially unreliable to implement and execute. It is sad to see people bashing the editor as it is...even though it is rock solid for me personally.

I have an issue with the list, I am traveling in time right now: Everyone travels in time but currently we're only able to travel forward and at similar rates (depending on how fast we are moving in relation to one another in accordance with relativity).

At the moment, each patch or bank is stored in AxeFX format ie a syx that will transfer both ways. Currently All the data for the editor currently comes from this alone. This is good and reliable.

This and like proposals requires external meta data or steering away from the compatible format. Either would not be without complexity and pitfall. This I have very real world experience of.

Not saying I don't like the idea, and it would be possible (if a usercab can be backed up without a system dump) (It with an IR mixer would be cool), I just think it could be a logistical nightmare and potentially unreliable to implement and execute. It is sad to see people bashing the editor as it is...even though it is rock solid for me personally.
Whoa... I didn't realize this would necessitate veering away from being able to swap patches to and from the editor in the current format. Why would that be? You're not doing anything all that different - just directing the editor to search for a file and tfr that to the hardware?

I don't like the editor, I love it. Preset mgr could be a little better and it sometimes crashes the app, but at this point I couldn't be without the editor.

Editor works rock solid here as well, but as mentioned in other posts, I'd simply settle for seeing the name of the cab sim instead of user#

Editor works rock solid here as well, but as mentioned in other posts, I'd simply settle for seeing the name of the cab sim instead of user#

A shameless plug for my tool here!
It lets you rename everything in AxeEdit (not the AxeFx, that used to be possible if you were brave enough and didn't mind voiding you warranty), including the user cabs. It just modifies the default.profile (which you can do by hand too), just reload the profile (no need to restart AxeEdit). Done.

If you upload a new IR, just rerun the tool.

A shameless plug for my tool here!
It lets you rename everything in AxeEdit (not the AxeFx, that used to be possible if you were brave enough and didn't mind voiding you warranty), including the user cabs. It just modifies the default.profile (which you can do by hand too), just reload the profile (no need to restart AxeEdit). Done.

If you upload a new IR, just rerun the tool.
That's impressive.

Whoa... I didn't realize this would necessitate veering away from being able to swap patches to and from the editor in the current format. Why would that be? You're not doing anything all that different - just directing the editor to search for a file and tfr that to the hardware?

I don't like the editor, I love it. Preset mgr could be a little better and it sometimes crashes the app, but at this point I couldn't be without the editor.

The editor would still be able to send just the AxeFX part of the data to the AxeFx if you went down the embedded meta data route, but that same file would not upload using midi-ox for example, and if you downloaded it from the Axe, it would be missing the data. The AxeFX formware could of course be changed to reject the meta data part if the file format was to change of course, but the downloading part would have an issue.

You might then need to rely on the meta data (ie file locations etc) being seperate for this reason, which has more than enough chance of becoming orphaned or such like.

There would be a few ways I would go about this, but each would have its own "margin of issue". As to the preset manager, a massive overhaul is apparently trialling with a lucky copuple of beta testers I believe.

And from then on who knows...we'll have to wait and see...but ideas on the forum have made it into production before...

Back
Top Bottom