FEB 2011 - The things we CAN and CANNOT do

sheky

Experienced
Don't get out much, so every once in a while I like to fact-check so as not to embarrass myself at social gatherings:

THE THING WE CAN DO:
- Space Travel
- Instant audio/video communication across the globe
- Sequence DNA
- Harness the sun's energy to power our homes and cars

THE THINGS WE CANNOT DO:
- Cold fusion
- Time travel
- Teleportation
- Use more than 10 User-defined cabs with the Fractal Axe Fx

Is that about right?

Why Yes Sheky, that does sound correct.

However I have a possible workaround solution to your problem.

Now, I've given this a lot of thought...Ok....so 4 minutes in the shower, but it sounds good to me. I will be slightly disappointed if Jay Mitchell doesn't tell me why it's idiotic/impossible in 17 words or less:

We only use 8 user slots the way we do now, the other two (for example User 1 and User 2) are patch dependent using the editor. So....you build a patch, pop in a cab, select "User 1", the editor asks you which User-cab you want to use and a file/directory dialogue pops up. I navigate to the directory, select VoxAcBlueCapEdgeWhatever, editor ports that into the User 1 slot in the hardware and there's a little dialogue box under "user 1" (in the editor)which displays the name of the file you've loaded, I save the patch, done.

Now, I start a new patch, pop in the cab, select User 1 again, but this time I pick AlnicoBlueConeEdgeWhatever and that gets saved to User 1, (overwriting my previous User 1 entry in the hardware). I save the Patch.

When I load the first patch, The editor knows to look for VoxAcBlueCapEdgeWhatever and saves that to User 1 in the hardware, and when I load the second patch, it know to look for AlnicoBlueConeEdgeWhatever and loads that in the hardware (I guess there will be a few second delay where it has to transfer the cab to the hardware).

You'd have two User slots used this way. You'd be able to use any User-cab, and would always know which one is loaded.

Last edited:
I will be slightly disappointed if Jay Mitchell doesn't tell me why it's idiotic/impossible in 17 words or less

Haha. That one made me laugh. :D

But seriously... space traveling is mostly a political hoax derived from the cold war. Nasa failed big time announcing that they have just come up with a solution that human beings can be sent half way to the moon. That was the year 2010. :) Ofcourse it was deleted pretty quickly from the Internet but this is actually true. I read it from Nasa's homepage.

But seriously... space traveling is mostly a political hoax derived from the cold war. Nasa failed big time announcing that they have just come up with a solution that human beings can be sent half way to the moon. That was the year 2010. :) Ofcourse it was deleted pretty quickly from the Internet but this is actually true. I read it from Nasa's homepage.

Uh, thanks for the heads up.

BTW I'm concerned about your avatar. Totally blows your cover.

Why Yes Sheky, that does sound correct.

However I have a possible workaround solution to your problem.

Now, I've given this a lot of thought...Ok....so 4 minutes in the shower, but it sounds good to me. I will be slightly disappointed if Jay Mitchell doesn't tell me why it's idiotic/impossible in 17 words or less:

We only use 8 user slots the way we do now, the other two (for example User 1 and User 2) are patch dependent using the editor. So....you build a patch, pop in a cab, select "User 1", the editor asks you which User-cab you want to use and a file/directory dialogue pops up. I navigate to the directory, select VoxAcBlueCapEdgeWhatever, editor ports that into the User 1 slot in the hardware and there's a little dialogue box under "user 1" (in the editor)which displays the name of the file you've loaded, I save the patch, done.

Now, I start a new patch, pop in the cab, select User 1 again, but this time I pick AlnicoBlueConeEdgeWhatever and that gets saved to User 1, (overwriting my previous User 1 entry in the hardware). I save the Patch.

When I load the first patch, The editor knows to look for VoxAcBlueCapEdgeWhatever and saves that to User 1 in the hardware, and when I load the second patch, it know to look for AlnicoBlueConeEdgeWhatever and loads that in the hardware (I guess there will be a few second delay where it has to transfer the cab to the hardware).

You'd have two User slots used this way. You'd be able to use any User-cab, and would always know which one is loaded.

ok you just confused me....

well yes that is actually true.... reality is indeed stranger than fiction.

Seriously!...You could read that NASA post as is, or that it was meant in a different context, it could also be seen as a careless mistake. Who knows.

Anyway, I read the OP's post a few times and I fail to see why you would need to use two user cabs for this. The editor could optionally use just cab1 (as it does for audtioning cabs). I say optionally as I use usercab1, and just make sure I reload it after IR auditioning. Maybe I still missed something regarding 2 cabs?

This has been suggested before (including with the ability to mix IRs on the fly)

I guess it has legs, but would of course be rather unhelpful in a live setting!

- Use more than 10 User-defined cabs with the Fractal Axe Fx

Err- yes you can. You can load as many user-defined cabs in the Axe-Fx as you want but only ten at a time.

You forgot to add to your "things we can do list": take an entire lorry load of vintage and modern amps, cabs and effects to a gig in one hand with your guitar in the other. 8)

There are ten slots in the Axe-FX. You can load in as many IR's as you want as often as you want; but you can only have 10 IR's at one time in there.

So your OP doesn't make sense to me. You have to add one step, load IR manually, that you want. The editor doesn't do it automatically as you suggest. But you are also not limited to 2 IR's in any way in a slot, you can load a million - one at a time - as long as you understand that one given slot will hold one IR at a time.

There are ten slots in the Axe-FX. You can load in as many IR's as you want as often as you want; but you can only have 10 IR's at one time in there.

So your OP doesn't make sense to me. You have to add one step, load IR manually, that you want. The editor doesn't do it automatically as you suggest. But you are also not limited to 2 IR's in any way in a slot, you can load a million - one at a time - as long as you understand that one given slot will hold one IR at a time.

Methinks meknows how the editor works now.

Can I now build 100 patches each with a different Redwirez Cab? Not in a way you could recall them. You could to 9 patches like that, and have the other 91 with the user-cab set to "user 1", take notes as to what Redwirez cab you used, and manually load that cab into "user 1" slot on the axe (or some variant of this approach). Am I wrong on this?

THE WAY THE EDITOR WORKS NOW (with a saved patch):
Selecting "user 1" in the editor looks for the "user 1" user-defined cab in the hardware

THE WAY I WOULD HAVE IT IF I WERE KING (with a saved patch):
Selecting "user 1" would direct the editor to look in the directory (on your pc) you specified when building the patch, then load that to the hardware, then display the file name on the cab block page under "user 1".

Methinks meknows how the editor works now.

Can I now build 100 patches each with a different Redwirez Cab? Not in a way you could recall them. You could to 9 patches like that, and have the other 91 with the user-cab set to "user 1", take notes as to what Redwirez cab you used, and manually load that cab into "user 1" slot on the axe (or some variant of this approach). Am I wrong on this?

THE WAY THE EDITOR WORKS NOW (with a saved patch):
Selecting "user 1" in the editor looks for the "user 1" user-defined cab in the hardware

THE WAY I WOULD HAVE IT IF I WERE KING (with a saved patch):
Selecting "user 1" would direct the editor to look in the directory (on your pc) you specified when building the patch, then load that to the hardware, then display the file name on the cab block page under "user 1".

You are not wrong. But one issue I can see is that if we allowed you to be King and get your wish, if you didn't save the preset in the Axe-FX and went to a gig.... it WOULD have saved the cab you sent instead of what was there originally... but not the preset. So if you were King, you'd need to have the editor not only send the preset and cab IR but also SAVE the preset in the Axe-FX and hope your other presets that happened to use whatever you originally had in User 1 (for example) before your IR swap sounded good with your new IR choice.

So I agree it's a cool idea, but I have to disagree that it is workable logistically for at least the way I work.

:)

You are not wrong. But one issue I can see is that if we allowed you to be King and get your wish, if you didn't save the preset in the Axe-FX and went to a gig.... it WOULD have saved the cab you sent instead of what was there originally... but not the preset. So if you were King, you'd need to have the editor not only send the preset and cab IR but also SAVE the preset in the Axe-FX and hope your other presets that happened to use whatever you originally had in User 1 (for example) before your IR swap sounded good with your new IR choice.

So I agree it's a cool idea, but I have to disagree that it is workable logistically for at least the way I work.

:)

I don't see why this is an issue. User slots 3-10 are for the 8 Redwirez Ownhammer stuff you use most and any live patch would have to use either stock cabs, or one of the User slots 3-8.

User slots 1 and 2 are only for patches saved to your pc and are editor dependent. You'd lose 2 slots for live use.

(The reason I would designate 2 user slots and not just 1 is for when you build patches with cabs using multiple IR's).

It's good to be king.

Anyway, I read the OP's post a few times and I fail to see why you would need to use two user cabs for this.
This way I can save patches which use multiple cabs and multiple IR's and use any 2 of my 30,000 IR's.

This has been suggested before (including with the ability to mix IRs on the fly)
I would hope so. Unless I'm missing something, it's a dreadfully simple idea.

I guess it has legs, but would of course be rather unhelpful in a live setting!
Yeah, it's not for live use. Your live patches wouldn't use any cabs in User 1 or User 2 slots.

I don't see why this is an issue. User slots 3-10 are for the 8 Redwirez Ownhammer stuff you use most and any live patch would have to use either stock cabs, or one of the User slots 3-8.

User slots 1 and 2 are only for patches saved to your pc and are editor dependent. You'd lose 2 slots for live use.

(The reason I would designate 2 user slots and not just 1 is for when you build patches with cabs using multiple IR's).

It's good to be king.

Fair enough. But I play live and use all 10 User Cabs doing so. When at the studio recording... I do the same. Past auditioning and during tweaking stuff, that's when I try IR's.

We just work differently with the hardware. No big deal.

Would love to get "bad checksum" on a gig. And it usually freezes my Axe-Fx so I have to turn it off and back on.

Fair enough. But I play live and use all 10 User Cabs doing so. When at the studio recording... I do the same. Past auditioning and during tweaking stuff, that's when I try IR's.

We just work differently with the hardware. No big deal.
I think everyone works differently with this thing, part of its beauty.

So you use all 10 slots but don't you at least reserve User 1 for auditioning? Even if you are using all 10 now, would it be worth it to you to have 1 or 2 so that you can save patches on your PC using any recipe, any IR, and not have to keep track of what's in the 10 user slots?

I just wish that I could get my Redwirez IR's to work!!!! haha can we start there lol. stupid mac and axe edit lol

I think everyone works differently with this thing, part of its beauty.

So you use all 10 slots but don't you at least reserve User 1 for auditioning? Even if you are using all 10 now, would it be worth it to you to have 1 or 2 so that you can save patches on your PC using any recipe, any IR, and not have to keep track of what's in the 10 user slots?

No, I don't reserve any slot for auditioning. I just keep track of what goes where, put new mixed IR's or IR's and listen. I record them, keep notes and stick with them once I've decided. I don't constantly re-approach and rethink everything constantly like some folks assume (the "all you do is tweak?!!!??") folks. If I get an idea for an IR I want to try, I just create it (or get it) and pop it in the slot.

I use the slots for particular purposes.

1: Fender Twin
2: Fender Deluxe
3. Fender Bassman
4. Marshall Greenback 412
5. Matchless 212
6. Bogner UberKab 412
7. Vox 212
8. Marshall Mixed 412 (Greenback/Vintage 30)
9. Alternate 'brighter' Marshall Greenback 412
10. Vintage 30 412

Those are the cabs *I* need; and that's how I approach those slots. They are ALL for auditioning in essence, with my personal approach. In my little bubble world, I am King... just as you are in your world. :D

I keep hard copy notes of what IR I have in each slot; and a live Google Doc that keep an archive of my cab IR mix recipes to keep track. I name each mix uniquely. Pretty low tech system that just works for me.

Back
Top Bottom