feature request: support for user friendly song names

DTownSMR

Inspired
It would be nice if it was possible to create a song name mapping file. Then the editor could use the mapped name in the GUI and the FAS name everywhere else. Perhaps a Java properties file that has the FAS limited name as the key and a user friendly version as the value. :)

Thanks for your consideration

Thanks for the idea. If the song names don't change very often that might be okay but I can see how it might confuse someone if they see one name but then the actual MFC-101 name is different. Still, its and intriguing idea. How many display characters do you think would be useful for the name? Would 10 be enough? There's also screen real estate to think about. I'd think that 15 would be the magic number because that's the name length of an MFC-101 Preset and an Axe-Fx Preset.
Let me think about that a bit. And see how others comment on the idea.

I think the most important feature that was needed has now been completed, the direct connection of MFC-Edit to the MFC-101 controller so you don't need to deal with a separate program to send/receive the sysex dumps. I'll mull that over and see how others feel about it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
-G

How many display characters do you think would be useful for the name? Would 10 be enough? There's also screen real estate to think about. I'd think that 15 would be the magic number because that's the name length of an MFC-101 Preset and an Axe-Fx Preset.

I don't seem to have the same issue (remembering the bloody abbreviation I used :) ) with the Axe preset name so if that's 15 I'd guess that's good. :)

lol. I've thought about it quite a bit. I really hate the 7 character names myself. This "friendly name" display isn't very hard to add to MFC-Edit and its a great idea now that I've had a chance to think about it. I'll get that on the list of future enhancements and run it by M@ to see what he thinks.
Thanks again.
-G

I've only allowed for 100 entries in the map since that's the maximum number of songs. I suppose that it might be nice to have a larger map since you could potentially have other sysex setups with a different 100 songs. Let's see how it goes with this version first though.

Back
Top Bottom