FCB1010 users - Eureka Prom or Uno or Stock?

Gasp100

Power User
I have a stock FCB1010 and I used it for practice the same day receiving it - I was able to change presets with no issue and after a bit of a fight I was able to use the expression pedals and now understand (for the most part) on how to assign different effects to these as controllers.
I did find one great article on here concerning using a STOCK FCB for changing scenes and it actually worked when I tested, but I guess I may not have saved the configuration at the right time because it reverted.
Anyway, I'm still wrestling with the idea of whether I need scenes or whether I should just get back to 5 presets on the bottom row, 5 IA's on the top (which requires stompbox mode only available with new eprom) OR if I can even use new eprom to have it all -- Scenes PLUS IA's.
Thoughts?

I use a stock FCB1010 with scenes with great results. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but once it's done, it's done and you can reap all the rewards.

I use a stock FCB1010 with scenes with great results. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but once it's done, it's done and you can reap all the rewards.

But no usage of IA's within the scenes right? Actually no use of IA's at all?
Could you explain how your scenes are setup? Basically, what row/button chooses the preset, what row/button chooses the scenes?

I'm not sure, but I think the Eureka doesn't support scenes. I have one lying around that I ordered but never tried because in the mean while I decided the UnO probably fitted me better. You can have it for a discount of you want it...

I have scenes on two banks, 2 and 5 so I can get there fast from the surrounding presets / stomp banks. Since I still wanted access to a number of stomps I did it this way. With scenes there really is no need for more than 20 presets. For me.

So for example:

Bank 00 and Bank 01 = 5 standard presets with 5 IA's on top row?
Bank 02 and Bank 05 = Scenes (what row/button chooses the preset and what row/button chooses the scene within that preset)?

The UNO can do all of this? I have owned an FCB1010 with UNO in the past (pre-scenes) and I also still own the software editor so that would probably be my best route to get another UNO.

I would go with one preset for an entire bank for scenes and IA's together.

So button 1 would be preset XX, scene 1.
Button 2-5 are scenes 2 through 5.
Button 6-10 are IA's.

You don't get everything, but you get 5 scenes and 5 IA's for a single patch on one bank. Additionally you can program buttons 1-5 to select the same patch and tell the AxeFXII to ignore redundant PC messages so you could start with any scene you want from that particular patch.

Just spitballing here. I haven't gotten around to programming for scenes yet, but eight seems like more than I'd need in most cases.

I would go with one preset for an entire bank for scenes and IA's together.

So button 1 would be preset XX, scene 1.
Button 2-5 are scenes 2 through 5.
Button 6-10 are IA's.

You don't get everything, but you get 5 scenes and 5 IA's for a single patch on one bank. Additionally you can program buttons 1-5 to select the same patch and tell the AxeFXII to ignore redundant PC messages so you could start with any scene you want from that particular patch.

Just spitballing here. I haven't gotten around to programming for scenes yet, but eight seems like more than I'd need in most cases.

This seems like a great idea. I would need the Uno I suppose but like I said I already have the software and then I would be able backup/restore my configuration very easily. Seems like a no brainer.

But no usage of IA's within the scenes right? Actually no use of IA's at all?
Could you explain how your scenes are setup? Basically, what row/button chooses the preset, what row/button chooses the scenes?

I have scenes 1-5 mapped across switches 1-5 on the FCB and my presets 1-5 across 6-10.

Like I said, it can be a bit of a fuss to set up but it's well worth the hassle!

Can somebody please link me to an explanation of 'scenes' for n00bs. There seems to be no mention of scenes in the fxultra manual OR the fcb1010 manual and I can't quite grasp what they are or how they work, but they sound useful.

Can somebody please link me to an explanation of 'scenes' for n00bs. There seems to be no mention of scenes in the fxultra manual OR the fcb1010 manual and I can't quite grasp what they are or how they work, but they sound useful.
I'm pretty sure "scenes" is an Axe II only feature..

So for example:

Bank 00 and Bank 01 = 5 standard presets with 5 IA's on top row?
Bank 02 and Bank 05 = Scenes (what row/button chooses the preset and what row/button chooses the scene within that preset)?

The UNO can do all of this? I have owned an FCB1010 with UNO in the past (pre-scenes) and I also still own the software editor so that would probably be my best route to get another UNO.

Oops. Scene banks are bank 01 and 04. Banks 0, 2, 3, 5 and onwards are 5/5 stomp box mode. banks 1 and 4 have the same stomps as the rest, just the switches 1-5 select scenes instead of presets. And with the alternate value for switch 1-3 I select scene 6-8. I just thought of something. I could use switches 1-4 alternating 5-8 and have switch 5 available for something else in the scene banks! Now why didn't I think of that before...

So. I pick my presets with a preset bank, have some options there already for when I need them fast or don't need big scene diversity. My stomps are vol boost, drive, chorus/phaser, other special effects using modifier, and delay1 x/y. When I need more diversity I hop over to a scene bank and press once on switch 3 for scene 3, twice for scene 7.

Don't have much uses for it yet. Remembering what scene does what in which preset seems daunting.

Now what would I use switch 5 for?... Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Isn't the software editor free?

A stock FCB1010 CAN DO IA SWITCHES. These switches are nothing more that a specific CC# (for whatever effect block you want to bypass) programmed for both of the 2 available CC#, with a 0 value (for bypassed) and 127 value (for engaged). Again, each switch on the FCB can send 2 CC#, and they don't necessarily need to be different CC#. If you program NOTHING else on a switch, it then effectively becomes an IA switch (make sure that no patch change data is programmed).

The primary problem with the stock FCB1010 is that you do not get running status of on/off states of the IAs programmed on each of the switches LED, thus you have to have a good memory and use your ears as there is no immediate way of just looking at the FCB and seeing what is on/off, and what preset switch you are on. Only the LED of the last button pressed will be illuminated, whether it is for an IA or preset patch change, etc.

Isn't the software editor free?
Ripwerx is free. Love Ripwerx.
However, Xavier, (ossandust) wrote another editor, which apparently is not free.

Ripwerx does all I need. Can't imagine what it doesn't do. FCB-wise. So I never got Xavier's editor.

A stock FCB1010 CAN DO IA SWITCHES. These switches are nothing more that a specific CC# (for whatever effect block you want to bypass) programmed for both of the 2 available CC#, with a 0 value (for bypassed) and 127 value (for engaged). Again, each switch on the FCB can send 2 CC#, and they don't necessarily need to be different CC#. If you program NOTHING else on a switch, it then effectively becomes an IA switch (make sure that no patch change data is programmed).

The primary problem with the stock FCB1010 is that you do not get running status of on/off states of the IAs programmed on each of the switches LED, thus you have to have a good memory and use your ears as there is no immediate way of just looking at the FCB and seeing what is on/off, and what preset switch you are on. Only the LED of the last button pressed will be illuminated, whether it is for an IA or preset patch change, etc.

I thought the fcb IA could only send a single CC and a single value with it, so it'd take 2 switches to turn an effect off and on
one with value 0 and the other with value 127
or does this mean I've misread the manual [which is not as clear as maybe it could be]

Nope. The manual sucks for certain.

2 available CCs per programmable switch. You need to use both of the available CCs for a switch in order for it to be used as an IA. Perhaps I didn't explain it well, but you program a switch on the FCB1010 this way: CNTL 1 to, for example, CC88 value 0, and CNTL 2 to CC88 value 127. If you program a switch this way, every time you press the switch, it will toggle between the 2 CCs values (0 or 127) and act effectively like a IA. If the toggling of the bypass state is opposite of what is desired, simply swap the values for CNTL 1 and CNTL 2 (on the FCB). But as I said, the LED status on the switch won't change with repeated presses, so you can't tell the state visually...you have to be able to hear it. Also, if you have the AxeFx set to ignore redundant PC, then repeated presses won't try to reload the current preset. I've been using the FCB this way for basic stuff for a long time.

look up the manual online here, and check out secton 2.5 Controller Toggle function:

http://www.behringer.com/assets/FCB1010_P0089_M_EN.pdf

just realised my "DUHH ! ! !" moment

CNTL1 and CNTL2 are 'commands' in config mode
rather than being the names of two switches..

the FC-300 has two switches that actually have these names...
the FCB manual seems to only be good for keeping you warm for a few moments in winter [provided that it's dry and you have a box of matches]

and there lay the confusion

Ripwerx is free. Love Ripwerx.

Do I need a Midi board in my PC to program the FCB, or is USB an option? I don't have a card and would really like to avoid adding hardware to it, but the FCB / UNO combo seems perfect for what I need at the moment. I just haven't figured out how I can program it.

Back
Top Bottom