FCB1010 Uno chipped for Axe FX XL

crg123

Experienced
Hey everyone,

I'm buying a FCB1010 with the Uno chip installed and a copy of the FCBUno Control Center from a friend of mine (internet forum friend haha). I'm planning on getting a midi to usb interface cable and was thinking of getting this for programing it: M-Audio UNO | Sweetwater.com

The question I had was in regard to what would be a cheap ~10' long midi cable I could purchase that would work with the XL and the FCB1010. I'm new to midi so I have no idea what the difference between 3,5,and 7 pin cables are. I just want to figure out a cheap one that will allow me to work the two devices together. I've tried searching but no one seems to give a direct answer or an example cable.

Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated! Thanks.
Dave

You definitely need a 5-pin midi for proper communication between AXE and the FCB. 7-pin is only if it can handle phantom power through the midi cable, not sure if FCB can handle that...

5 pin! but why cheap? only 10'? if your going to go cheap and still be standing on the axe just switch with the front panel.

I'm going to program it for pedal board mode (or scene switching) and looper controls. I just said cheap because I didn't want to buy a cable with a ton of pins or extra functions and have it not be useable :).

So just a standard 5 pin on both ends would work? I know the fcb1010 only need a a 5 pin, but wasn't sure if having that on both sides would be fine with the XL. I know it's silly but can someone link me an example cable just so I'm certain. Again new to midi and don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Last edited:
So just a standard 5 pin on both ends would work? I know the fcb1010 only need a 5 pin, but wasn't sure if having that on both sides would be fine with the XL.
Yes, a 5-pin MIDI cable works fine. (that's what I have used in that configuration)

There could be a reason to get another cable. If you're phantom powering the FCB AND you want the power to go thru the Axe you'll need a different cable. 7-pin/5-pin. But I avoided that and added the power directly to the 5-pin cable and kept the power away from the Axe. (because I'm paranoid :-D)

If it's NOT already modded to support phantom power, I recommend this mod. It's about the most inexpensive, requires no external case modifications, and is stupid-user proof (i.e. you can have it plugged in and have the phantom power supplied at the same time...and doesn't blow up! lol)

I know it's silly but can someone link me an example cable just so I'm certain. Again new to midi and don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Hosa MID525 - 25' | Sweetwater.com

One thing to note with FCB UnO Control Center you'll need two MIDI cables. FCBCC uses round tripping to ensure what it sent was actually received and applied. It also receives info like firmware levels and such.

P.S. MIDI noob alert: many people get caught by this but when plugging in your MIDI cables remember that it is NOT, repeat NOT, IN<->IN & OUT<->OUT. The way MIDI is laid out is that you're plugging the IN of one device into the OUT of another. MIDI hook-ups need to be: In<->Out & Out<->In

Oh I meant for programing the FCB1010 not for connecting to the axe. In order to run FCBUnO Control center you have to attach the floor board to a computer. That's what its USB to computer. So I am trying to connect a PC/Mac to external midi device actually haha.

I wasn't sure if he meant (2) midi cables to connect the board to the Axe FX or if he meant the dual head to usb for programing it via my Mac with the FCUnO Control Center Software.

edit: The previous owner got back to me and said I should use that M-audio cable for the Computer to FCB1010 programming but didn't say anything about two midi cables. I'm assuming you guys meant I need two midi cables to connect the Axe to the FCB1010 then?

edit: "MIDI hook-ups need to be: In<->Out & Out<->In"

That answers that question, two cables it is.

Last edited:
If you don't already have a working USB/MIDI connection...go over and join the FCB UnO users group (on yahoo groups) and check the files section. They keep a database of interfaces and an indication if folks have been successful with them or not. Not all USB interfaces are equal and I know a lot of folks have had trouble with some of the cheaper ones so I think it'd be better to go with one that at least SOMEONE got to work. :) You can check if that one is listed.

Whoever made the diagram with those bridge rectifiers in the link "this mod" should rectify that PDF file. They are drawn incorrectly.
Thanks nickxmix

Oh I meant for programing the FCB1010 not for connecting to the axe. In order to run FCBUnO Control center you have to attach the floor board to a computer. That's what its USB to computer. So I am trying to connect a PC/Mac to external midi device actually haha.

I wasn't sure if he meant (2) midi cables to connect the board to the Axe FX or if he meant the dual head to usb for programing it via my Mac with the FCUnO Control Center Software.

edit: The previous owner got back to me and said I should use that M-audio cable for the Computer to FCB1010 programming but didn't say anything about two midi cables. I'm assuming you guys meant I need two midi cables to connect the Axe to the FCB1010 then?

edit: "MIDI hook-ups need to be: In<->Out & Out<->In"

That answers that question, two cables it is.

That will work fine. I have one and have used it with an FCB1010, a Gordius and an MFC-101 and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom