FCB 1010 Uno upgrade

shep

Inspired
I got a FCB 1010 today, and removed the eprom to install the Uno upgrade. I oriented the eprom as per the manual, and closed up the unit. Upon firing it up, it doesn't show the -1 led, it shows either a middle character '8.' or a 3rd character '8' with no dot after it.Nothing will change on the unit. It won't 'initialize' by pressing the 1 and 9 and turning the unit on. It won't turn on when pressing 1 and 9. Any knowledge/advice is appreciated. Thanks - Shep

PS- No thanks, I don't want to join the Yahoo group for info, as I don't want another email account, etc.

Last edited:
have you tried direct contact with the creator of the Uno chip via his website? I'd think that would be the first best line of attack for a problem like this.

FCB1010 UnO Firmware

The fact is that the best FREE advice (not to mention time-saving tips on how to implement the Uno chip) is going to come via these users group forums, I'd say that you have quite a dilemma on your hands, then. Just asking, but is it difficult to create a yahoo email account and then delete it a few weeks later (after you've gotten the info you need)?

I appreciate your time and input. I created an account, but it has to be subscribed by an admin ( so still no info). The uno site has no contact I can see.

Thanks, but there's nothing there that talks about my issue. Still awaiting the holy approval of a mod - how stupid. I've joined tons of forums, none of which put me on hold.

The unit does not turn on every time I press the power switch - it can take 6 - 10 toggles to light, then giving the 2 variations of '8' listed above. I did try the hold down 1 and 9 while turning on the power. It lights up w/ +1 in the window, all exp, switch and pedal lights on except for #3. It all stayed on for a minute or so, then the unit shut off. Upon restarting, it went back to '8'.

Hey Jim, yes sir- with no noticeable difference. The pins look perfect still.

Last edited:
as in uh - oh...could be trouble if the original prom does the same thing. Let me qualify as I'm no expert in the UNO upgrade and I don't have it. But it seems on first blush that if neither of the chips now works properly then something weird has happened (obvious, no?)

Did the maker of the Uno chip give you any help?

@jimfist - I went to the site but see no 'contact' info. (obvious, no?) - I wondered if you were saying the unit is now dead.

@shasha - I am sure I oriented it correctly. There's a notch on the prom and the base it goes into. I got a response from Kevin that says it seems to be failing the 'power on self test'. Maybe the chip is bad, or the pin that supplies power is bad. I guess I'll order a new one to find out. Lastly, I guess I'd be sending it in to a service center, provided that's an option?

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have shorted something out... did you ground yourself before touching anything in the FCB1010? If it's happening on both the Uno and factory EPROMS then it's definitely the board. If I remember correctly (I'm on my third FCB1010 Uno board) the UNO goes in upside down... when put in the other way the unit will not boot at all... when put in the correct way (upside down) then it boots. As I said, it sound as if the board may have been hit with ESD. Good Luck and I hope you get if fixed.

It could be that a trace on the PCB was damaged during removal of the original eprom. Behringer uses hot-melt glue to hold the chip in the socket, and I've seen (and repaired) a few PCBs that were damaged with a wayward X-acto knife or screwdriver. It could also be a bad solder joint on the socket, or a damaged surface mount resistor. But as others have noted, the FCB1010 itself is at fault since the original eprom is exhibiting the same behavior.

Back
Top Bottom