FC12 MIDI Loopback

State of Epicicity

Fractal Fanatic
I'd like to send a CS MIDI signal from the FC12 to control the Axe-FX III. If I hook up a single MIDI cable from the MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT ports of the Axe-FX III, the unit does not respond, but if I hook up my Roland UM-ONE MIDI interface and route it to itself via Bome MIDI Translator I get the response I was looking for. Can the Axe-FX III not send MIDI commands to itself via a regular MIDI cable, or does it need some special configuration in the settings that I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yeah, I have it on channel one. If I just use that interface, the UM-ONE, just keeping the settings as they are in the Axe-FX III and routing the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN, it works just fine! But, touching nothing else, replacing the UM-ONE with a standard MIDI cable, the Axe-FX III does not respond. I even took out my multimeter and checked all five pins on the MIDI cable from end to end to make sure there was proper connectivity, and it checked out fine.

So I guess a regular MIDI cable should work then, right? Maybe I should still buy another one; maybe, even though the connectivity is there, the cable might still be bad somehow.

Others have reported that this works, so I would expect that it still works.

Last edited:
Yes, a loopback cable works great.....are you setting the correct midi info in the CS Midi window that you access from the FC Edit tab of Axe Edit?

What are you wanting it to do?

Yes, a loopback cable works great.....are you setting the correct midi info in the CS Midi window that you access from the FC Edit tab of Axe Edit?

What are you wanting it to do?

I wanted to use a footswitch press to change channels and the release to active a control switch modifier.

Before even getting to program the block I wanted in the preset I wanted, I decided to test to make sure it was all working fine by opening an empty preset and adding just an amp block, then trying just to change channels. I set CC#127 to values of 26 in the on position and 25 off. The unit defaults to MIDI channel 1, so I stuck with that. With the UM-ONE it worked just fine, but with the regular MIDI cable, there was nothing. I'm pretty sure now that it's just a bad cable. I've ordered a two pack of one foot cables, so I'll be able to test again tomorrow.

I wanted to use a footswitch press to change channels and the release to active a control switch modifier.

Before even getting to program the block I wanted in the preset I wanted, I decided to test to make sure it was all working fine by opening an empty preset and adding just an amp block, then trying just to change channels. I set CC#127 to values of 26 in the on position and 25 off. The unit defaults to MIDI channel 1, so I stuck with that. With the UM-ONE it worked just fine, but with the regular MIDI cable, there was nothing. I'm pretty sure now that it's just a bad cable. I've ordered a two pack of one foot cables, so I'll be able to test again tomorrow.
As far as I know, in order to use cs midi with loopback, you first would go on the front panel, setup>midi/remote>channel, and set Amp 1 for instance to a cc number. Then you open the cs midi window and set that cc number to fire with one of the 6 control switches. As far as the on and off values, you would get that from one of the midi tables in the manual. Does that make sense?

As far as I know, in order to use cs midi with loopback, you first would go on the front panel, setup>midi/remote>channel, and set Amp 1 for instance to a cc number. Then you open the cs midi window and set that cc number to fire with one of the 6 control switches. As far as the on and off values, you would get that from one of the midi tables in the manual. Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's what I did. It did work with the interface, so I had it programmed correctly. Thanks.

A few bits of clarification:
The FC12 is basically like a keyboard on a PC. No "thinking" or "doing" happens therein - it just reports button-down and button-up events to whatever unit it is currently connected to, which does all the stuff you attributed to the FC....

CS MIDI is very limited. It can send Control Change or Program Change messages. If those messages can get the job done at the receiving end, you're golden, otherwise, you're SOL...

A MIDI cable looped from OUT to IN will work, but not loop endlessly due to the THRU going out a separate jack. On the units with mergeable OUT/THRU, watch the setting for the merge, or you may need to yank the cable out to stop the looping....

Got here too late to help with the rest, but it almost never hurts to have a spare MIDI cable....

Back
Top Bottom