FC-6 Sidecar: Total Success

I was considering running my GT/22 with the FM9 and just keeping the FM9 on top of my powered cab behind me….

Maybe overkill? But….mmm….22 switches….

I’d never fit the FC-12 and FM9 on the stages we play. At least not without making something that would let me have them oriented not side-by-side.
Me too! I thought it might be a good idea to put the FM9 behind me on my Mission cab and have the FM9 mounted on a slightly smaller Temple Board with an EV-2 on just in case. Now it just makes sense to put everything back on a Duo 34 with my other expression pedals. As I plan on getting a Tonemaster FR at some point and can't put the FM9 on that if it's tilted back. The new bigger MKII scribble strips are awesome and it just makes it so much easier for me to use now.

I'm still gonna connect the RJM phantom power box underneath the FM9 board just in case I ever want to use the GT22. Knowing me I will!
It's not overkill at all :D That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

This would be rad but my god the weight.

Maybe the solution is to put the FC12 and EVs on a board with a shelf behind the FC that I could just sit the FM9 on? Then transport the FC board and the FM9 separately?

Hmm....this could work. Would allow me to keep a lighter FM9-only option but get 12 more switches if I knew I had the floor space.

I'd need a flat board that's about 17" deep x 32" wide to make this work. Edit: Eek. $300 from NYC Pedal Boards for something that big. :(

Or don't use a board at all?

This would be rad but my god the weight.

Maybe the solution is to put the FC12 and EVs on a board with a shelf behind the FC that I could just sit the FM9 on? Then transport the FC board and the FM9 separately?

Hmm....this could work. Would allow me to keep a lighter FM9-only option but get 12 more switches if I knew I had the floor space.

I'd need a flat board that's about 17" deep x 32" wide to make this work. Edit: Eek. $300 from NYC Pedal Boards for something that big. :(

View attachment 135295
Oh yeah… I’m watching this.

IMG_0146.jpeg

Someone have an FC12 they’re not using?

I was considering running my GT/22 with the FM9 and just keeping the FM9 on top of my powered cab behind me….

Maybe overkill? But….mmm….22 switches….

I’d never fit the FC-12 and FM9 on the stages we play. At least not without making something that would let me have them oriented not side-by-side.
I go around in mental circles on this. I have an AxeFX III and a GT/16 pedalboard, and I also have an FM3 as my grab-and-go rig. I'm tempted to get the FM9, but then I'm nearly at the same stage footprint as my GT/16 board (minus the rack of course). The audio quality of the FAS gear is perfect, and I love it. The power and flexibility of the MMGT board is amazing. The combination is unparalleled.

I go around in mental circles on this. I have an AxeFX III and a GT/16 pedalboard, and I also have an FM3 as my grab-and-go rig. I'm tempted to get the FM9, but then I'm nearly at the same stage footprint as my GT/16 board (minus the rack of course). The audio quality of the FAS gear is perfect, and I love it. The power and flexibility of the MMGT board is amazing. The combination is unparalleled.
Every time I inch towards selling my GT/22 I back off the plan. It's such an incredible piece of gear. But here I am not using it...

Every time I inch towards selling my GT/22 I back off the plan. It's such an incredible piece of gear. But here I am not using it...
Wouldn't it be interesting if there was a "headless" version of the FM9, that was nothing more than a small pedalboard-friendly box with jacks and a single power LED? Just basically a A/D and D/A box with the DSPs for all the processing. It wouldn't need displays, switches, or anything else. Then we could pair it with any controller. I imagine something that would be 1U 19 inch and as shallow as possible. That way we'd have both rack mounting as an option, or be able to place it at the back of our pedalboard.
Yep, I know there are people that really love the knobs and displays on the devices. For my purposes, tone is #1, control is #2, and smaller / lighter is always better. Oh, and I want my pedalboard to have a built-in deep fryer in case I want a snack while playing.

I made that mistake a few years ago. Sold my old GT22 and regretted it immediately! I used the FC12 for a while and had no issues and even ended up buying a MKII at one point. I really missed the 22 buttons available to me on one page and decided to sell the FC12 and go with the GT22 again.

I ended up buying a new one back in July last year as a birthday present to myself, mainly because I managed to get my hands on an old Boogie Triaxis and wanted to control it all with the Axe and the GT.

I'd never sell it, as you mentioned it's an incredible piece of gear and can control a lot of devices. Plus it just looks cool!

The FC controllers are wonderful plug-and-play devices, and the right choice for 95% of the users (FM3 and FM9 in particular).

For that extra bit of tweakability and accessibility, the GT/22 is the king of controllers, even after all these years.

As I always put it: the GT allows me to configure things according to the way my mind works, instead of forcing my mind to adapt to the way the controller works.

The FC controllers are wonderful plug-and-play devices, and the right choice for 95% of the users (FM3 and FM9 in particular).

For that extra bit of tweakability and accessibility, the GT/22 is the king of controllers, even after all these years.

As I always put it: the GT allows me to configure things according to the way my mind works, instead of forcing me to adapt to the way the controller works.
Love my FC12, both powerful and pretty intuitive, makes many things easy.

But if money was no object, GT22 for sure. More footswitches, and that extra bit of capability.

I kind of wish the FM9 supported two external switches on one Pedal jack...
Me too. How about a Fractal 2 button switch box with scribble strips that plugs into the FAS Link port and has strong magnets to temporarily attach it to the FM9 (or FM3 or FC12) for gigs. Then simply detach and slip it into the pocket of a StudioSlips gig bag.

I kind of wish the FM9 supported two external switches on one Pedal jack...

Yes indeed.

Workaround is to assign a single button to just Up or Down, and limit the range of layouts it goes through.
Not near my FM3 atm, but I think it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom