FC-6 always starts up to same view as FM3

Brett336

Inspired
Hey there Fractal community!

Can anyone tell me how to get my FC-6 to start up showing view-4 when connected to the FM3? The FC-6 always starts up mirroring the same view-1 that I have the FM3 starting up on. I save my preset with the FC-6 set to the current view that I prefer (in this case it is view-4), but it always starts up with the FC-6 set to view-1.

I like to start it up defaulting to Layout #7 (Perform) and I want the switches to be the same functions in the same locations all of the time. I don't really need/want to tap dance around to all of the different layouts and views.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this or is the a bug or missing functionality in the current FW?

I am on FW 1.02 for the FM3 and FW 1.11 for the FC-6.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1585989098704.png

Hey there Fractal community!

Can anyone tell me how to get my FC-6 to start up showing view-4 when connected to the FM3? The FC-6 always starts up mirroring the same view-1 that I have the FM3 starting up on. I save my preset with the FC-6 set to the current view that I prefer (in this case it is view-4), but it always starts up with the FC-6 set to view-1.

I like to start it up defaulting to Layout #7 (Perform) and I want the switches to be the same functions in the same locations all of the time. I don't really need/want to tap dance around to all of the different layouts and views.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this or is the a bug or missing functionality in the current FW?

I am on FW 1.02 for the FM3 and FW 1.11 for the FC-6.

Thank you in advance for your help!

View attachment 65836
I think it's not possible at the moment, surely a "startup view" setting would be a nice addition.
Anyway, shouldn't an FC6 have just 2 views? How can it reach 4? 🤔

Excellent point.

@Brett336 : Try entering a valid View number into FC #1's Startup Layer, and see what happens.

Yes, tried that and all other permutations. The Devices button on the FC Controllers page of the FM3 Edit allows you to select the current view as 1,2,3 or 4 for the FC-6 based on the four groups of three switches that are shown on the FC Controller page of FM3 edit.

I just cannot get all of the switches arranged in a Perform format that I prefer. I am thinking this maybe a combination of a bug and an incompatibility between my desired workflow and the basic logic used to manage the complex combinations of views, scenes, presets, etc. from just the three buttons on the FM3. There seems to be a little bit of a lack of consideration for attaching an FC-6 and allowing it to wake up in the Perform layout the same way every time. I have to plug into the FM3 editor to get the views on the FC-6 that I want - and they still not exactly what I want. Connecting to the FM3 Edit every time I power on just to arrange the switches on the FC-6 is hassle that I would rather avoid. The editor does not seem to tell the FM3 to save the view on the FC-6.

Maybe it's just my lack of familiarity with the FM3 at this time (had it 24 hrs now) and I'll come up with a work-around or something - or maybe Fractal will recognize this as an issue and fix it.

By-the-way, I have been a Fractal user since the Ultra days and currently have an AX8 and and AXE-III - so am familiar with how the systems work.

When I bought the FM3, I was a little concerned about the developers trying to do too much with just three switches. The workflow that they came up with is amazing. It just does not suit my personal needs since I have never really wanted to step through layers of stuff on a stage when I have to play out. I just need a static Perform layout with the things I need where I need them. Adding the FC-6 would do that if this problem could be corrected.

Thanks for all the input up to this point - great product!

BA

Can you set the FC to be View 1, and then the FM3 as another view to get three more switches? And if so, will it "stay"?

I just need a static Perform layout with the things I need where I need them.
If that's all you need you can just use a different layout for the FC6 and make that the default (startup layout)

Try entering a valid View number into FC #1's Startup Layer, and see what happens.
The problem is that there's no setting currently for "startup view", only current view

If that's all you need you can just use a different layout for the FC6 and make that the default (startup layout)

The problem is that there's no setting currently for "startup view", only current view

I think this is the real issue for me - no "Startup" view that I can set independently between the FM3 and the FC-6. In addition to that, then you have the limitations in how the FM3 groups the views. I cannot seem to get my looper controls on the bottom three switches of the FC-6.

Oh well, with the way Fractal engineers are always improving the SW, I suspect that they will be updates that will address this - or even provide a better solution once the have a chance to think about it.

On that wish, I would rather have the performance screen that the AXE-III has ported over.

I would also like to see a way for the looper Trim Start and Trim End in FM3 Edit be able to be assigned to the A and E knobs on the FM3 so I don't have to power up the FM3 Edit to tweak sleight dead spots out of my loops for practice.

But now I am turning this thread into scope creep ;-)

BA

I think this is the real issue for me - no "Startup" view that I can set independently between the FM3 and the FC-6. In addition to that, then you have the limitations in how the FM3 groups the views. I cannot seem to get my looper controls on the bottom three switches of the FC-6.
Maybe I wasn't clear previously. If you just need 3 switches (1 view) on the fm3 and 6 switches (1 view) on the fc6 all you need to do is make them startup on different layouts. Both will be on view #1 on startup but it'll be view #1 of two different layouts, so different switches displayed.

1585989098704.png

In this screen just select, for example, 8 in FC #1 Startup Layout and the first view of layout 8 will be your FC6

Maybe I wasn't clear previously. If you just need 3 switches (1 view) on the fm3 and 6 switches (1 view) on the fc6 all you need to do is make them startup on different layouts. Both will be on view #1 on startup but it'll be view #1 of two different layouts, so different switches displayed.

In this screen just select, for example, 8 in FC #1 Startup Layout and the first view of layout 8 will be your FC6

Ooooooh! I think I get it now. Thanks for that insight!

Oh well, with the way Fractal engineers are always improving the SW, I suspect that they will be updates that will address this - or even provide a better solution once the have a chance to think about it.

On that wish, I would rather have the performance screen that the AXE-III has ported over.

I would also like to see a way for the looper Trim Start and Trim End in FM3 Edit be able to be assigned to the A and E knobs on the FM3 so I don't have to power up the FM3 Edit to tweak sleight dead spots out of my loops for practice.

But now I am turning this thread into scope creep ;-)

BA

After a little more exploring, I just figured out that Fractal already thought about providing the loop trim functions on the A and E knobs on the FM3.

I should not have doubted their genius!

Thanks for the help!

BA

I just realized... aren't we essentially discussing what the OMG9 layout is going to do? It sounds like it's going to be one layout that covers both FM3 and FC6. ( ? )

As someone who's going to primarily use Per-preset switches for everything, I'd hate to have to bounce back and forth between two layouts in Edit just to be able to set everything up. It would be SO much easier to just have one layout with 9 switches that covers both devices.

I just realized... aren't we essentially discussing what the OMG9 layout is going to do? It sounds like it's going to be one layout that covers both FM3 and FC6. ( ? )

As someone who's going to primarily use Per-preset switches for everything, I'd hate to have to bounce back and forth between two layouts in Edit just to be able to set everything up. It would be SO much easier to just have one layout with 9 switches that covers both devices.

I hope that is the case! That is exactly what I was hoping to do with my FM3 and FC-6.

What Fractal did with the workflow to maximize the function of three buttons is very clever.

For my use on a stage, I have never really ever wanted have to page through things. Really don't need all that much anyway - but that's me...

Probably but they should also add the startup view setting to avoid the need to change view on the fc6

What Fractal did with the workflow to maximize the function of three buttons is very clever.
For my use on a stage, I have never really ever wanted have to page through things. Really don't need all that much anyway - but that's me...
Yes it is, and that type of functionality serves many people well. But I'm like you - I don't want to page around or switch views in the middle of a song to get to something else. That's also why I plan to use PP switches, so I can just have what I want available in each preset. Between songs, to go to the preset menu or whatever, sure - that totally works for me. So I'm going to set up a dedicated external switch for that.

I'll just create a new preset if I have a song that needs something specific that I can't get from the 9 main switches. Easier for me that way instead of having to think about where everything is.

Probably but they should also add the startup view setting to avoid the need to change view on the fc6
I agree with this as well.

Back
Top Bottom