FC-12: These photos don't do it justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there an announcement?

Edit: found the news thread. Bummed, I was expecting an email.

Last edited:
It has multiple layouts of switches that you can change between.

This may not be the right thread to ask, but there are so many threads on this right now, I just picked the one with the pretty pictures. But can someone explain how accessing the layers works? I know this is in the early stages, and too soon to ask questions, but maybe someone who has another controller with a similar concept can explain. In my mind, you would still need a dedicated button to change layers, so I can't quite grab the concept. Does it involve holding a switch instead of clicking it? If I have a layer with presets, and a layer with IA's, how do I flip through without tap dancing? My brain just seems to be mush with this concept right now.

Interesting. How's the switch spacing relative to an FC-101? Because I find that on that, the spacing is cramped for my big size 12 1/2 feet. I can mash multiple buttons at once if I'm not careful. I would hope for a wider switch to switch spacing.

Can the displays be switched around to white letters on a black background? That'd be more readable in some conditions.

This may not be the right thread to ask, but there are so many threads on this right now, I just picked the one with the pretty pictures. But can someone explain how accessing the layers works? I know this is in the early stages, and too soon to ask questions, but maybe someone who has another controller with a similar concept can explain. In my mind, you would still need a dedicated button to change layers, so I can't quite grab the concept. Does it involve holding a switch instead of clicking it? If I have a layer with presets, and a layer with IA's, how do I flip through without tap dancing? My brain just seems to be mush with this concept right now.

I used an RJM Mastermind 22 with my Axe FX II XL+. That had 16 pages of buttons. And one of the button assignment categories related to pages. In my case, page 1 was my main page.

4L32rje.jpg

I programmed the top-right button on page 1 to go to page 3 with a tap. As you can probably guess based on the label I gave it, Page 3 was my Looper page. With a long press, this button would turn the controller into a page menu that would allow me to get to any other pages I had programmed with one additional tap. And when I was on my Looper page, the same button was programmed to take me back to page 1 with a tap.

I hope Fractal programs things in a similar way and adopts RJM's "menu approach" in general, as it was very useful. For example, you can see another button that has "Preset #" as a label. By long-pressing this button, it turned the controller into a number pad so I could tap in the number of any preset I wanted to go to (one digit at a time) instead of having to "bank" to it.

I can't think of anything I've seen discussed about the FC12 that I couldn't do with the GT22 and my XL+. But hopefully, the FC12 will be able to do alot of that cool stuff while capitalizing on the advantage of having perfect integration with the AxeIII (for example, you won't have to use a separate application to program the FC12). And of course, it will cost alot less than even a GT10. I can only hope whoever is heading up development of the FC12 is as driven and responsive to feedback as Ron over at RJM is.

Austin

Last edited:
I believe it can be either... Or another method that Cliff mentioned a while back where you can scroll the layouts. Don't remember the method though...

I used an RJM Mastermind 22 with my Axe FX II XL+. That had 16 pages of buttons. And one of the button assignment categories related to pages. In my case, page 1 was my main page.

4L32rje.jpg

I guess I never looked closely at the RJM stuff, since I was holding out for the FAS version, but that is an excellent layout. You can get through a night with one page.

4L32rje.jpg

I programmed the top-right button on page 1 to go to page 3 with a tap. As you can probably guess based on the label I gave it, Page 3 was my Looper page. With a long press, this button would turn the controller into a page menu that would allow me to get to any other pages I had programmed with one additional tap. And when I was on my Looper page, the same button was programmed to take me back to page 1 with a tap.

I hope Fractal programs things in a similar way and adopts RJM's "menu approach" in general, as it was very useful. For example, you can see another button that has "Preset #" as a label. By long-pressing this button, it turned the controller into a number pad so I could tap in the number of any preset I wanted to go to (one digit at a time) instead of having to "bank" to it.

I can't think of anything I've seen discussed about the FC12 that I couldn't do with the GT22 and my XL+. But hopefully, the FC12 will be able to do alot of that cool stuff while capitalizing on the advantage of having perfect integration with the AxeIII (for example, you won't have to use a separate application to program the FC12). And of course, it will cost alot less than even a GT10. I can only hope whoever is heading up development of the FC12 is as driven as responsive to feedback as Ron over at RJM is.

Austin

That's a great looking controller. I wish the Fractal controller was like that. I checked out the price...wow! Expensive.

Yes the RJM is a great controller, used myself and put in the rig of some of my customers BUT.... it's very very BIG.

there is the GT16 (49x27cm), almost the same than the FC12 (51x23,5) BUT has 4 extra switches and much larger color screens and main screen...

:)

I've had my GT16 for over a year and it does anything I need and stuff i'll never use. The way I set it up is on the patch i have 4 scene control buttons, and some cc's for effects. a button goes to a "preset menu" where it turns all the buttons into preset selections, when i select a preset it goes back to the first page automatically. I have a looper page as well with all the looper controls and some effects I use while looping. Personally I love being able to see all the presets on the presets page, can get to stuff real quick.

4L32rje.jpg

...you can see another button that has "Preset #" as a label. By long-pressing this button, it turned the controller into a number pad so I could tap in the number of any preset I wanted to go to (one digit at a time) instead of having to "bank" to it.Austin
The instant random access enabled by a number pad function is why I chose Gordius over Fractal for a footswitch.

The extensive midi capability, configurability and small footprint have kept me with the product. I actually bought a backup since no one else was making them anymore, including Gordius!!

4L32rje.jpg

I can't think of anything I've seen discussed about the FC12 that I couldn't do with the GT22 and my XL+. But hopefully, the FC12 will be able to do alot of that cool stuff while capitalizing on the advantage of having perfect integration with the AxeIII (for example, you won't have to use a separate application to program the FC12). And of course, it will cost alot less than even a GT10. I can only hope whoever is heading up development of the FC12 is as driven and responsive to feedback as Ron over at RJM is.

Austin

That is the king of footswitches!

Minus the swapping to other pages, which is brilliant as I would love a dedicated looper page for my Helix, this is like a Helix Control with a crapton more switches.

One bonus I could see to this over the FC-12 is that since this uses midi I could use this same pedal to control everything in my studio and have it laid out on one pedal since it has a whopping 22 switches!

Now you have me Jonesing for one of these damn you!

there is the GT16 (49x27cm), almost the same than the FC12 (51x23,5) BUT has 4 extra switches and much larger color screens and main screen...

:)

Dear lord that is expensive!!!

I've been using the MMGT22 with my current setup since they first came out. Whilst not the cheapest option, it does everything anyone could want IMHO. Not least of all, the support for the product is second to none with frequent firmware upgrades driven by direct customer input on their forum. Colors, text & buttons fully customizable (using either unit or computer editor).

Yes it is quite large, but nothing else is needed on stage (including a bunch of boutique pedals I use) and it's powered through the midi cable so only one cable running across stage....great unit!

This is the benchmark Fractal should be looking to emulate for the FC's IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom