FC-12 Hold Function / Reveal Hold Function

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
When using the hold function on the FC-12, the effect assigned to the hold function turns on, but the LED stays off (in the dim state), and the name of the effect assigned to the hold function flashes briefly, but does not stay on. The name of the main effect is still there.

Q1: Is there a way to have the LED light up when the hold function's selected effect is on, and LED go off when the hold function's selected effect is turned off? (Like it does when turning on and off an effect normally.)

Q2: Is there a way for the name of the effect used with the hold function to be shown in the mini strip when the hold function's effect is turned on?

For the main effect, if I press the button the main effect comes on, the LED lights up, and the name of the main effect is on the mini-strip.
When I press the button again the effect turns off, the LED turns off (goes to the dim state) as you would expect.

When using the hold function. I hold the button down for a second and and the hold effect name flashes briefly, but does not stay on, the name on the mini-strip still shows the name of the main effect, not the name of the secondary hold effect I just turned on, and the LED does not come on, but stays off. So by looking at the FC-12 it looks like the effect is off, and there is no indication for the name of the secondary hold effect.

To turn the secondary effect off I hold the button for a second and it goes off. The LED is off during the entire time of turning on and turning off the hold effect.

I saw in the manual where there is a hold reveal utility, Reading about this function in the manual I'm not sure it would do what I was hoping, but I could not find it on the Axe FXIII itself under utilities to try it. I found it in FC-Edit, but it seems to do nothing at all.

Q3: Where is the reveal hold function, how do you set it up, and what exactly is it supposed to do?

Edit: Thanks to everyone for your help. My questions have been answered.

Last edited:
1. No, the LED only reflects the tap function
2. No, the hold function label will only show temporarily when hold is activated, unless Reveal Hold is used.
3. It's in the Utilities group of switch functions. It changes all of the switch mini displays to show their assigned hold functions instead of their tap functions. It can be set to either momentary or latching. From the footswitch functions guide:

1687672049881.png

Last edited:
Thank you. That really helps. I can give up trying to figure out how to make it do something it can't do.
It looks like the Reveal Hold won't do what I wanted either.

I am still not able to find the Reveal Hold anywhere on the Axe FXIII to try it out. I couldn't find it under utilities or FC Controller in the Axe FXIII. How exactly do you access the Reveal Hold in the Axe FXIII?

Thank you. That really helps. I can give up trying to figure out how to make it do something it can't do.
It looks like the Reveal Hold won't do what I wanted either.

I am still not able to find the Reveal Hold anywhere on the Axe FXIII to try it out. I couldn't find it under utilities or FC Controller in the Axe FXIII. How exactly do you access the Reveal Hold in the Axe FXIII?
Go into Axe Edit and select FC Edit or FC Per-Prst then select Category (Utility) then Function (Reveal Hold)

Go into Axe Edit and select FC Edit or FC Per-Prst then select Category (Utility) then Function (Reveal Hold)
Thank you. I found it where you said. (I was not able to find it at all on the Axe FXIII itself.)
I selected it and assigned it to a switch, but it did nothing at all when I pressed that switch, or held it down.

Thank you. I found it where you said. (I was not able to find it at all on the Axe FXIII itself.)
I selected it and assigned it to a switch, but it did nothing at all when I pressed that switch, or held it down.
Still no joy? Send me your preset either here or PM and I'll take a look at it to see if I can figure it out. Maybe send FC layout to if not default layout. What are you wanting the hold to do? Is it set to latching or momentary?

Are you sure you assigned it to a switch in the layout you're using?

Also, post a screenshot of the switch settings in the editor.

Are you sure you assigned it to a switch in the layout you're using?
Thanks. That was it. I got it working. I was also misunderstanding exactly how the Reveal/Hold function worked. I thought I could just step on the switch and see all the footswitches hold functions. You have to be holding the switch down to see all of them.

Thanks to everyone for your help. My questions have been answered.

I was also misunderstanding exactly how the Reveal/Hold function worked. I thought I could just step on the switch and see all the footswitches hold functions. You have to be holding the switch down to see all of them.
If you have it in sticky mode, you don’t have to hold it down.

Thanks. That was it. I got it working. I was also misunderstanding exactly how the Reveal/Hold function worked. I thought I could just step on the switch and see all the footswitches hold functions. You have to be holding the switch down to see all of them.

Thanks to everyone for your help. My questions have been answered.
If you set it to Latching it will stay revealed and make all the Hold functions and Labels act as Tap until you select one.

If you also make it Sticky, it will stay revealed until you click the reveal again.

See page 10 here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo.../Fractal-Audio-Footswitch-Functions-Guide.pdf

If you set it to Latching it will stay revealed and make all the Hold functions and Labels act as Tap until you select one.

If you also make it Sticky, it will stay revealed until you click the reveal again.

See page 10 here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo.../Fractal-Audio-Footswitch-Functions-Guide.pdf
ok, @unix-guy you are one of the smartest people on this forum and I am going to revive this thread before I start a new one. I have read this thread a few times and since I have never used reveal or sticky or per preset tricks, I am still a little out of my elements here.

This is what I wish for. my tuner for example. I have it in the hold function of let's say switch six. I have nothing in the tap function, nor do I want my tuner to be in the tap function, because while tap dancing on my FC12 or FM9 I worry about haphazardly taping the switch sending me into tuner mode, and possibly not being able to troubleshoot on stage what WTH I just did and why I have no sound.

So my tuner switch has no color, and has no label, all because I don't want to assign anything to the tap function, for that very reason. Certainly Cliff and the boys at FAS, who are the best in the biz, could write a little code update allowing for such an option? Please pretty please?

ok, @unix-guy you are one of the smartest people on this forum and I am going to revive this thread before I start a new one. I have read this thread a few times and since I have never used reveal or sticky or per preset tricks, I am still a little out of my elements here.

This is what I wish for. my tuner for example. I have it in the hold function of let's say switch six. I have nothing in the tap function, nor do I want my tuner to be in the tap function, because while tap dancing on my FC12 or FM9 I worry about haphazardly taping the switch sending me into tuner mode, and possibly not being able to troubleshoot on stage what WTH I just did and why I have no sound.

So my tuner switch has no color, and has no label, all because I don't want to assign anything to the tap function, for that very reason. Certainly Cliff and the boys at FAS, who are the best in the biz, could write a little code update allowing for such an option? Please pretty please?
I mean, they could do a lot of things that aren't there now... But the paradigm of the FCs is that the label and LED ring color are relative only to the Tap function.

I mean, they could do a lot of things that aren't there now... But the paradigm of the FCs is that the label and LED ring color are relative only to the Tap function.
grrr..... I mean think about it. Certainly there are other guys like me that did WAY too many drugs in the 80s that don't want a switch to accidentally get tapped, so holding the switch is the way is the way to fly!!!! Please Cliff? Pretty please? Guess it's tie to put it in the wish list of the forum......

Back
Top Bottom