FC-12 AND FC-6 Together

Manny Fufish

Power User
Hi Folks, I noticed in Cooper Carter's new updates to the Axe III course, he is creating a new section on how to incorporate the FC-6 into a setup that already has an FC-12. As you probably know, the two can be daisy-chained together and the first thought is a fully dedicated looper on the FC-6. He mentioned many pro rigs are using both in compelling ways and I was curious if anyone has already taken the plunge and what interesting things they have already come up with.

I gotta say the dedicated looper always there sounds very nice and there must be 1k other interesting uses as well... hmmmm

I had both for a while when I was transitioning from FC-12 to a pair of FC-6es.

My current setup:
20200101_172501.jpg

I had both for a while when I was transitioning from FC-12 to a pair of FC-6e
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How does your CPS sound? Real 3D as if you are in sweet spot of stereo?
Really wanna know it is loud enough to cover 100 people party room.

I have both and was recently just tinkering with using both together. Originally, my focus was to grab whichever I needed for the band at the time.. Played in a few. Lately I have been enjoying kitchen sink presets on the FC12 only with about 4 scenes and the rest of the switches as stomps. Since I hooked both up I put scenes on the FC6 and all stomps on the 12. It's fantastic like this for me and I plan on exploring this more, especially with the awesome power of the III and building dream "kitchen sink" rigs in one preset. With scene revert off, you can dynamically create scenes on the fly, and hop between them without losing changes. I have another switch's "hold" set to reload the preset, resetting any scenes I dynamically setup, to their defaults. I really like this approach more and more. I can cover everything I need with one preset. The III and FCs really are amazing together!

I have both and was recently just tinkering with using both together. Originally, my focus was to grab whichever I needed for the band at the time.. Played in a few. Lately I have been enjoying kitchen sink presets on the FC12 only with about 4 scenes and the rest of the switches as stomps. Since I hooked both up I put scenes on the FC6 and all stomps on the 12. It's fantastic like this for me and I plan on exploring this more, especially with the awesome power of the III and building dream "kitchen sink" rigs in one preset. With scene revert off, you can dynamically create scenes on the fly, and hop between them without losing changes. I have another switch's "hold" set to reload the preset, resetting any scenes I dynamically setup, to their defaults. I really like this approach more and more. I can cover everything I need with one preset. The III and FCs really are amazing together!

Now we're talkin'!! That's exactly what I'm talking about. You could have your entire scene content laid out on the FC12 and then change to any other scene with one click on the 6. No scene up and down, just pick the one you want. That's perfect for the 'kitchen sink' preset as you say. I love the revert and hold to recall ideas as well. The benefit I see here is everything is just one click and still remains very dynamic as well. Perfect.

How does your CPS sound? Real 3D as if you are in sweet spot of stereo?
Really wanna know it is loud enough to cover 100 people party room.

Stuff that is stereo and using shorter delays, like phase, flange, chorus, and rotary sound amazingly 3D, as if it is coming from everywhere at once. Reverb sounds big. Delays with ping pong left/right sound (to me, in my tiny office) more like thet originate from behind me to one side or the other.

The XL was made for large spaces, full lows, and to compete with a loud drummer, with 700W total system power between tweeter, woofer, and the side speakers that make the 'stereo' work. I have never had it full up.

most of what you guys are describing can be accomplished with the performance layouts on the 12. I have a song bank, scenes and all the IA's i need.

I like the separation there. What have you found to be the most useful approach of 2 FC-6s? Also, what is that silver box? That looks interesting...
Red FC has 2 layouts - presets and scenes.
Green FC has one layout - effect/channel/control switches.

I primarily work with the pedals, so this lets me center them and still have all 12 FC buttons within easy reach, no yoga or tai chi skills required.... :)

The polished aluminium box has the 4 stand-in switches and the 4th controller as a knob. The 5th switch is linked to the 4th (lower right) switch like the switches at either end of a hallway. One of them is momentary, the other latching, so, paired with a momentary switch in the AxeFX3, I can get both momentary and latching action out of it. I use the other 3 switches for bank up/down and tuner. I polished the box and got a nylon decal cut to mask off the parts I wanted to remain shiny, and etched it usinf ferric chloride solution....

Red FC has 2 layouts - presets and scenes.
Green FC has one layout - effect/channel/control switches.

I primarily work with the pedals, so this lets me center them and still have all 12 FC buttons within easy reach, no yoga or tai chi skills required.... :)

The polished aluminium box has the 4 stand-in switches and the 4th controller as a knob. The 5th switch is linked to the 4th (lower right) switch like the switches at either end of a hallway. One of them is momentary, the other latching, so, paired with a momentary switch in the AxeFX3, I can get both momentary and latching action out of it. I use the other 3 switches for bank up/down and tuner. I polished the box and got a nylon decal cut to mask off the parts I wanted to remain shiny, and etched it usinf ferric chloride solution....
That's brilliant, and you made that DIY? Well done!

most of what you guys are describing can be accomplished with the performance layouts on the 12. I have a song bank, scenes and all the IA's i need.
Yes, and that's what all of us have been doing up until now. Cooper goes over this in-depth in the current courseware. Now imagine you have all of that and all of the looper controls always available without having to tap dance extra moves or switch layouts?! Of course, looper is only one example. You're only limited by your imagination. That being said, if your imagination fits in 12, you just saved $500! 👍 It must also be said, to remove any misinterpretation of snarkiness, that the heroes we all grew up with made amazing music with typically less than 6 pedals, so I recognize this is next level 'guitar assistance' and not necessary... but the fun to be had my friends... :)

Last edited:
@ccroyalsenders I would love to hear some of the approaches that have been used in setups for your pro clients if you're able to share them with us. I'm anxious for the new chapters to cover this approach with the FC-6 now on its way to my house. Yes, I pulled the trigger last night, :D

Last edited:
I use a 12 and 6 together, and I love it! And yea, I could absolutely do with either the 6 or 12 alone, but due to strange circumstance, I've ended up with both of them, so I'm lucky to put together a rig with both units. I've played around with a bunch of different ideas, and a lot of it has to do with how you set up your presets, so there are a nearly unlimited number of different versions of how to use the two boards together. For awhile, I had the 12 setup with scenes and presets, and the 6 handled IAs and channels that I wanted access to within scenes- there were some effects that I found convenient to have different settings for different guitars, so I'd set up a drive or comp or PEQ with different channels for a guitar with humbuckers vs single coils. Handy for different delays as well. If you are willing to devote a whole layout to it, you could use layout links to click on a scene (or IA if you set it up that way, or whatever) on the 12, then have a layout with whatever effects options you'd like for that scene to come up on the 6. It's crazy flexible. Currently, I've got it set up pretty vanilla, with the 6 handling presets, banks and looper duties, and the 12 handling scenes 1-8, and the rest of the buttons on the 12 assigned as IAs, with channel switching for effects as hold functions on the 12. I'm working on a new effect layout for the 6 using layout links. It's a really luxurious rig to play on.
I'm sorry I don't have any better pictures- these weren't really taken to highlight the board, but you can sorta see most of what is happening there.IMG_2504.JPGIMG_2505.jpgIMG_2506.jpg

I've been using a 12 and a 6 together for a while now and it's great. I do wish I had more than 8 layouts to work with though - there's a lot more I could do.

I've been using a 12 and a 6 together for a while now and it's great. I do wish I had more than 8 layouts to work with though - there's a lot more I could do.
Have you discovered "Per-Preset Overrides"? They let you swap out buttons per preset, so you can make better use of your layouts. My #2 layout on the red FC and my #3 layout on the green FC are empty, but loaded with PPOs as needed....

Back
Top Bottom