Favourite Amp models

What’s everyone using now. Try as I might, I can’t get away from the 50w Plexi High and 100w Plexi High. I’ve been dabbling with the Jumped variants too. They only thing changed in the past year is the IR - now the York Marshall GB25 IR.

I keep trying to branch out - but I just don’t dig many other models for gain - the Friedmans have an overtone that bothers me, and I can’t quite dial in the Soldano or Camerons. I even bought the YA FDMAN pack to see if that brought some magic from the BE / HBE, but I prefer the Plexi.

I did also grab the YA Verb Deluxe IRs and have grown very fond of the Deluxe Reverb model through those with a strat and the Full OD pedal (or a TS808).

Euro Blue might be worth a shot. I prefer the Marshalls, but have been
having fun with the Bogner XTC amp models.

I came from FXII to FM3 and I found this new Archean amp, which was a discovery for me. This is now my high gain tone. My clean setup is with 6G12 CONCERT. Such a rich, sweet and lovely sound.

Fryette D60 More…. Once I found how to dial it in, it’s been my favorite high gain amp. It’s so dry sounding, unforgiving, and articulate…. Absolutely brutal and in your face… I can see why a lot of metal bands use the Fryette VHT Pitbull so much

...Is anyone using any of the Dumble-type models? I'm a huge Robben Ford fan and I'm just interested in people's experience with any of the Dumble models.
There are ODS and similar models, plus there's the factory preset...
039 - ODS-100 — based on Robben Ford's Dumble OD Special, Tone of Kings.
I spent last Monday night on my own spin on that preset and was very happy with how the FM3 sounds and feels.

No preset will be exact because the preset can't imitate his guitar or fingers, but they'll get you into the ballpark and the mood.

Read through the Factory Presets and search the Amplifier Models list page for "Ford" in the Wiki for more information.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/dumble-ford-2-again.105028/page-2#post-1267280 is a good read too.

Last edited:
The Dirty Shirley is my default no1 for just about everything

So versatile

The Shirley was my fav pre Cygnus. After the update I was struggling to make it sound the way I remembered. So I moved on. Mostly to the Hook. I’ll try it again since I’ve gotten better at dialing this thing in.

I'm also in the mood 'depending on how I slept' but this week I discovered the FAS Class-A...
Gain at 4, a BBpre with gain at 3 and level at 10.. some stereo effects and a HH guitar with coil split

I'm in heaven!!!

There are ODS and similar models, plus there's the factory preset...

I spent last Monday night on my own spin on that preset and was very happy with how the FM3 sounds and feels.

No preset will be exact because the preset can't imitate his guitar or fingers, but they'll get you into the ballpark and the mood.

Read through the Factory Presets and search the Amplifier Models list page for "Ford" in the Wiki for more information.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/dumble-ford-2-again.105028/page-2#post-1267280 is a good read too.
Thanks. I hadn't gone back to look at what I posted (that was over a year ago! Crazy).

Anyway, I really do love the ODS 100 and ODS 100 Ford models and used those quite a bit as my clean/edge of break up choice for my presets when I first got the unit. I was truly blown away with the responsiveness of it.

Recently I've rebuilt my main presets with the Wrecker Liverpool Bright. I'm not sure what it is about that amp, but I just love the feel and tone of it. Like the ODS, it is really responsive to volume knob changes. I play with a keyboard player and I've found this model sits in the mix a little better for me.

I should also note that after playing with multi-amp presets for a bit, I finally decided to land on using a single amp and using the input boost and drives to get to my dirty tones. Switching scenes just sounds more natural and is totally seamless. With the Wrecker I find the Tone of Kings and Horizon Precision play very nicely with it. I've recently been loving stacking the Horizon Precision and then the neutral amp boost. So good.

I think if I go to the FM9, I may revisit multi-amp presets since that should allow more seamless amp switching.

For dirty amps, I'm a huge fan of the Dirty Shirley 2 and for high gain, I've bounce back and forth between the Friedman HBE models and the SLO. In my early days I was a huge George Lynch and Warren DiMartini fan, so that is always my "go to" feel for high gain.

Hopefully the right thread to respond with this...

I've never really played with the Hot Kitty (model, you pervs). I saw it mentioned in another thread, and selected it on a goof in my main patch. Crank up the drive to 8, and the master to 3.8.

Through the YA cabs I'm fond of, it sounded pretty good.

Turned up my power amp through a pair of 4x12s and HOLY CRAP. All of the bounce and hair you could want out of a 800 style thing but with more open-ness and serious punch.

I'm in love.

Thanks. I hadn't gone back to look at what I posted (that was over a year ago! Crazy).

Anyway, I really do love the ODS 100 and ODS 100 Ford models and used those quite a bit as my clean/edge of break up choice for my presets when I first got the unit. I was truly blown away with the responsiveness of it.

Recently I've rebuilt my main presets with the Wrecker Liverpool Bright. I'm not sure what it is about that amp, but I just love the feel and tone of it. Like the ODS, it is really responsive to volume knob changes. I play with a keyboard player and I've found this model sits in the mix a little better for me.

I should also note that after playing with multi-amp presets for a bit, I finally decided to land on using a single amp and using the input boost and drives to get to my dirty tones. Switching scenes just sounds more natural and is totally seamless. With the Wrecker I find the Tone of Kings and Horizon Precision play very nicely with it. I've recently been loving stacking the Horizon Precision and then the neutral amp boost. So good.

I think if I go to the FM9, I may revisit multi-amp presets since that should allow more seamless amp switching.

For dirty amps, I'm a huge fan of the Dirty Shirley 2 and for high gain, I've bounce back and forth between the Friedman HBE models and the SLO. In my early days I was a huge George Lynch and Warren DiMartini fan, so that is always my "go to" feel for high gain.
Given that you like the ODSs and the Wrecker, have you tried the Tucana?

Please, please, please don't send me down another rabbit hole which I'm positive will make me rebuild my main presets. :p

Seriously though, I haven't. I'll (cautiously) check it out. Thanks!
Here's what Cliff has to say: “One of the best amps in the world IMO. I have a Dumble and a Trainwreck and various other boutique amps and the Tucana is better than all of them.” (extracted from Yek's Amp Guide).

It's probably at least worth look for you.

Here's what Cliff has to say: “One of the best amps in the world IMO. I have a Dumble and a Trainwreck and various other boutique amps and the Tucana is better than all of them.” (extracted from Yek's Amp Guide).

It's probably at least worth look for you.
Yes. Damn your black heart, I did...and it is really nice. ;)

Out of the box (everything at noon), it gave me more of a DC-30 vibe (which I also really like), but after tweaking I found something a bit more Dumblish. Definitely seems a bit meatier than the Wrecker. Interestingly someone in Yek's original post on this said they dime high, mid, low. I tried that and it sounds pretty damn good that way. I kind of found a nice spot with the input gain around 4ish and the master up at around 6ish.

How do you like to dial this one in?

Yes. Damn your black heart, I did...and it is really nice. ;)

Out of the box (everything at noon), it gave me more of a DC-30 vibe (which I also really like), but after tweaking I found something a bit more Dumblish. Definitely seems a bit meatier than the Wrecker. Interestingly someone in Yek's original post on this said they dime high, mid, low. I tried that and it sounds pretty damn good that way. I kind of found a nice spot with the input gain around 4ish and the master up at around 6ish.

How do you like to dial this one in?
I haven't strayed too far from the stock settings on the Tucana preset (there's also a Tucana II). It grabbed my attention right away with my set up (using a 335 style) I mostly took out some bass (it can get too much very easily with my HBs--so that's common with many amps for me)

The lead scenes are good for me. I did notice on the clean settings that it breaks up a little more than I like, so reduced the drive a bit. I've only just sort of begun delving into the more detailed pages and recently discovered the Gain Enhance compression on the Amp Dynamics page, so I turn that on w/ an output of around 2; that allows me to regain any lost gain by use of playing dynamics (very cool).

Glad you like it. A better person to get input from is probably @Rick. He actually owns one.

Back
Top Bottom