Favorite IR(s)

I just tried your exact settings on my 1959 presets. Sounds really great! I just ended choosing Dynamic2 instead of one and Just a high cut at 8K.

Sounds awesome! thanks
Nice! I think that extra bit of either of the dynamic mics helps to add a little definition and dimension to the sound. Just enough sweetness on top of the ribbon to make it pop. At least it sounds that way in isolation; the real test for me will be getting it in front of other instruments to see if it helps my guitar settle into the band dynamic.

I've tried a TON of IR's... Tone Junky, Tone Factor, Red Wirez, Live Ready, etc... and while they are all great, and could work for me, my favorite is a mix of York IR's and Legacy cabs for my Matchless DC30 preset.

I've always been into movable mic plugins, that's the way I've been able to get the tones that just feel right for me. These plugins tend not to have much of any perceptible phasiness. I've wondered whether they're less accurate because of that, but I just like the sound more, so I don't care. My first favorite was in Amplitube 4, and they had a VHT Pittbull 1x12 cabinet I would switch the speaker in that I would always use with a 414. And you would get the natural phase effects that occur when you blend mics that plugin, so I experimented a lot with mixing mics out of phase to get the character I loved.

The IRs that work best for me these days are ones I've captured from Overloud TH-U. A couple of their cabinets, their 4x12 5150, and the Alnico 2x12, each with a 414 and / or 57 mic. These guys have been doing movable mics for a while, they have the most flexible cab section I've seen in a movable mic product in terms of deep options for the capture itself, and I've always felt right with their cabs. I get something that sounds right for me within seconds, so it's the one I just love best right now. It's a pain to capture an IR you love each time, so I haven't made any new captures recently.

Also some cabs in Two Notes Wall of Sound are really nice, when I use particular cabs with their Knightfall condenser mic.

The ones I'm listing here I use with any amp. Right now my favorite tone in the Axe-FX III is the AD30 on DC power into the TH-U 4x12 5150 with just the Gold 414 mic. Maybe an odd combination in the real world, but nothing feels more right with my guitar and my ears.

I think the Dyna Cabs are really great, but my ears are always craving the texture of my favorite, so every time I try Dyna Cabs, I still go back.

Thx Man, I think You dont need 5156161717 IR's my metal pack + rock pack with ir inside is enough :D And You have also presets hahaha.

Stay Metal!
I saw this post...went and discovered your stuff and bought a lot of it. At 62 I don't do that much metal anymore BUT can't resist a good heavy guitar and these are good if not beyond. Your IR's are as good as any body else's also...and believe me I have a ton of IR's. Not sure how much more memory slots Fractal would have to add to the Turbo for me to load all I have. Yours just replaced a bunch on my machine.

top 3 OH:
OH 412 MRBW RAW (from the GNR pack) 57v-1 blended with 121-10
OH 412 MAR-CB M75-PR (in the MAR CB pack)
OH 412 EDVH M25-PR (in the 412 EDVH)
honorable mention: moabi (very similar to the GNR with slightly warmer mids)

top 3 York:
m25
bgnr v30
kw
honorable mention: m20 / mesa 212 v30

Other:
Lancaster marsh jmp1
Marco fanton 06bskt57
Choptones hesu160

Factory:
Legacy 37 - for mid gain - Redwirez Basket G12M25
88/91 - for warm cleans factory 2 2x12 matchbox 121 B L/R

I usually combine mics and don't use the provided mixes so I can bring the up low end with the 121 to taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your style and genre but.....Ownhammer GNR, 412 FMAN, 212 ORNG.
I typically run the 57-05 for live gig.

For factory IR's.... Lynch 57 and 121 for the win.

I took some time (although I should have taken more and cleaned up the playing) to compare my favorite IRs. Kevin, I know that these are meant to be tweaked but out of the box, I just wanted to compare some sounds and listen to them on multiple devices.
The same DI recording, guitar, amp model and settings were used for all, the only thing that changes is the IR.

I was pleasantly surprised by some. I listened at home and had an opinion. Went to the car and my opinion changed somewhat. I hate studio monitors. Different rant.

Nice comparison. I have most of those OH IR's. I use the 412 FMAN for pretty much everything. V30B + M25B 57-05 is on my main presets currently.
Yes, I run a single 57 IR.... don't judge. 😉

Nice comparison. I have most of those OH IR's. I use the 412 FMAN for pretty much everything. V30B + M25B 57-05 is on my main presets currently.
Yes, I run a single 57 IR.... don't judge. 😉
I would never judge. I switch guitars and everything is out the window. I always wanted to do a rough comparison and I know it's semi-useless since there are so many IRs per pack. I'm one of the select few that likes to combine a low 121 with everything. It's more for when playing than mixing and want to hear the low end. For mixing it's pretty much useless...except...lately I've been listening to a lot of Rabea and Leo Moracchioli. They have so much low thickness in their guitar tones and in the car, it just crushes. I've been going as low as 60hz with my guitars lately and using the sub bass plugins to fill in from 20-60. Rob Papen's subboombass is killer for that. It's probably just a phase. In the end, we can do a lot more now with surgical eqs than they could 30 years ago and I keep telling myself that any m25 will do. add Eiosis AirEQ and call it a day.

I cleaned up the comparison I had performed previously. Like I said before, an EQ would do wonders to make the tones sound more similar and there are plenty of IRs on offer within each of these packs. My original intention for the soundcloud playlist was just to test the sound on different sound systems since powered studio monitors do cause misinterpretation for other systems.

these just came out. 5 bucks. what a steal. they are amazing.

Can’t lose for $5. I’m on it. Can wav IR’s import directly into a FM3 or will I need some shenanigans? Like CL4 etc? NVM I got it. Carry on...........

Edit: These are excellent! If you like 412 GB cabs you'll like this.

Last edited:
anybody know good ir's ( stock /dynacab positions/ or otherwise) for low tuned ERG's I generally stay between Drop D1( Octave lower than drop d) to drop G. Currently i use Jens bogren's low tuned pack . which seems to work very well for most stuff . Amps i used generally are FAS SKULL CRUSHER, HOT ROD, Archon , EVH 5153 (BLUE), USA LEAD(MARK 4), AND REV GENN RED 3.

my go-to are my own IR's. I pan them wide with a distance correction of 12 on the left IR, and also turn the left down -1db. IR's sound more in the room, but still a little refined.
thanks for posting these. me likey.

Question: You have FM3 and axe3 metal presets, will the axe3 stuff work for the FM9? (match blocks or multiple pitch or anything?) thanks

anybody know good ir's ( stock /dynacab positions/ or otherwise) for low tuned ERG's I generally stay between Drop D1( Octave lower than drop d) to drop G. Currently i use Jens bogren's low tuned pack . which seems to work very well for most stuff . Amps i used generally are FAS SKULL CRUSHER, HOT ROD, Archon , EVH 5153 (BLUE), USA LEAD(MARK 4), AND REV GENN RED 3.
I haven't tried this because I don't tune down, but thought I'd mention it because it seems intended for what you're asking about:

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=467

Back
Top Bottom