Favorite IR(s)

Legacy #54 4x12 PRE-ROLA 55 M160 (ML)

Edit 11/24/23: I’ve switched to dynacabs, Ribbon mic at 20cm.

Last edited:
Every time I find a great IR or IR combo, I put it up against a combination I found that @austinbuddy put together in one of his Naked Amp presets. It almost always wins out. The nice thing is it's all factory IRs.

Funny... that blend reminds me of the parable of the weight of the ox: you've got an IR by Ownhammer, an IR by ML, and an IR by Fractal Audio, blended by Austin Buddy! The Wisdom of Crowds!

Legacy #54 4x12 PRE-ROLA 55 M160 (ML)
+1. I also ended up buying a more recent ML Sound pre-Rola cab pack, as I love the 75 Hz Celestions as well, and I like the subtle differences between the heavy duty and standard cones. Also like OwnHammer a lot, but somehow Mikko records his IRs in a way that I get recognisably very close to tone of cabs that I have owned, loved, and sold (for huge multiples of what I paid for them in some cases).

Liam

Thx Man, I think You dont need 5156161717 IR's my metal pack + rock pack with ir inside is enough :D And You have also presets hahaha.

Stay Metal!

Exactly! I have never gone down the IR rathole as your presets contain your IRs. They are fantastic! I used to have the Kemper and I would use yours exclusively for recording as well. I think too much emphasis can be placed on the amp. I think the IR is about as important as anything in the signal chain. Thanks for your hard work!

I use the YA BGNR 412 V30 57-CE from York Audio Bogner Pack. It fits for every of my presets and sounds amazing.

I'm curious to see (and hear) what everyone's favorite IRs are. I keep finding myself gravitating toward Leon Todd's LT TV Mix 2 IR but I want to try getting some tones with some of the factory IRs in the Axe-FX III. So far, I really enjoy the 5150 Factory 2 #340. I use that with the Friedman HBE V3 with minimal tweaking and it sounds amazing both through my studio monitors and my band practice rig. Great for high-gain rock chugging. Please drop your favorite Factory cab and its number below! I could also use some recommendations for clean/shimmery IRs as I like to play everything from Metallica to dream pop/shoegaze.
I have come to rely on the newer York Audio IR's they are the best.
I own most of the releases and use the ones that apply to whatever it is I am needing to do at the time.
The most used ones are listed below.
MRSH 412 M25
MTCH 212 (My go to)
VX30 212 BLUE
VX15 212 BLUE
FTWN 212 D120
DXVB Verb Deluxe

my go-to are my own IR's. I pan them wide with a distance correction of 12 on the left IR, and also turn the left down -1db. IR's sound more in the room, but still a little refined.

Attachments

• U1.0080_Singtall Left.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 25
  • U1.0081_Singtall Right.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
For my go to « Marshall that can play everything » tones :

before dynacab : legacy #60 and #61

Now dc 1960tv with the ribbon. So clear and alive.
That's good to know. We started from similar points to one another, and I hadn't tried the ribbon in Dyna Cabs yet. I think all my everyday (and easily most used for live) presets are still set with purchased OH and ML IRs, but I've been finding Dyna Cabs gets me where I want to be much faster than the endless IR auditioning used to.

Liam

I spent a lot of time making scratch tracks when I first got my III (couple years ago, the Axe FX III is my first experience with Fractal), mostly to get familiar with the unit but also because I know how I am, I'm not a tweaking, deep diver, I wanted to get it narrowed down to a solid stable of amps and cabs I'd use most as quickly as possible and then focus on recording music, it's what works for me otherwise I'd never stop messing around (I'm too easily distracted) and this thing has got virtually endless possibilities.

Anyway, I ended up LOVING about a dozen amps and IR's (for all things gainy - which is life) and stay in my lane with those. I know the DC's are the latest thing but with this many IR's that already sound great in a mix setting (IMO) I just don't have any desire to dabble further...if it aint broke, don't break it.

These are awesome sounding with the amp models I happen to like:

Legacy #39 (4x12 1960B T75 RW)
Legacy #69 (4x12 Pre-Rola BG C414)
Legacy #124 (4x12 5153 Mix #1)
Factory 2 #340 (4x12 5153 121 A)
Factory 2 #517 (4x12 Brit 70s GB 57 B)
Factory 2 #706 (4x12 Fractal GB 160 1 B)
Factory 2 #757 (4x12 MAR-CB LYN 57 OH)
Factory 2 #761 (4x12 MAR-CB PR-H55 57 OH)
Factory 2 #842 (4x12 Recto ST 57M C YA)
Factory 2 #848 (4x12 Recto ST 121 Brt YA)
Factory 2 #863 (4x12 Recto ST SM7 Drk YA)
Factory 2 #952 (4x12 TV 57 B)

...and of course LT's TV Mix 7, which I've nicknamed the "hot sauce" because you can put that sh!t on everything. :laughing:

Super helpful to say what amps you're using your favorite IRs with, kinda meaningless without that. Is it for a Tweed or a cranked Revv? Different animals.

Too many good ones to list. Lots of YA, Dr B, RedWirez and others in heavy rotation in my un-updated-for-dynacabs presets....

ML soundlabs Almighty was my go to forever until dynacabs. ive been very happy with dynacabs and havent touched an IR since. feel like i have more granular control.

I use YA Mesa 2x12 mix 01 blended 50% with YA KW Mix 01. Two great IR's alone blended together for that v30+greenback thing.

For my go to « Marshall that can play everything » tones :

before dynacab : legacy #60 and #61

Now dc 1960tv with the ribbon. So clear and alive.
I'm a relatively new Axe-FX III user, but I've been trying to test all sorts of amps and cabs over the past month or so. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been focusing on finding a cab that could work equally well with all kinds of amps/gain stages, and the absolute best I've heard (at least so far) is the ribbon 1960TV dynacab.

It's the foundation for the cab mix I've currently got as my #1 option, which also contains a bit of the dynamic 1 mic on the same cab: ribbon pos 7.08, dist 8.03 (0 db); dynamic 1 pos 2.85, dist 6.90 (-3.82 db)

I'm normally on the bridge pickup of my Reverend Kingbolt RA with the bass contour all the way down. I like the bright sound, but at the same time I don't want the highs to get too out of control. The 1960TV is great at allowing my favorite clean tones in the III (especially low-gain sounds from the Texas Star) to sparkle a little bit without harsh pinging as I get high up the neck on the B and high E strings. I haven't really settled on a favorite amp for overdriven/crunchier sounds yet, but the 1960TV also seems to easily handle anything gainier I've thown at it.

When I first got the Axe-FX, I was extremely excited about the possibilities of mixing and matching cabs to amps, but now I think I may just end up with the 1960TV as my go-to for almost everything!

I'm a relatively new Axe-FX III user, but I've been trying to test all sorts of amps and cabs over the past month or so. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been focusing on finding a cab that could work equally well with all kinds of amps/gain stages, and the absolute best I've heard (at least so far) is the ribbon 1960TV dynacab.

It's the foundation for the cab mix I've currently got as my #1 option, which also contains a bit of the dynamic 1 mic on the same cab: ribbon pos 7.08, dist 8.03 (0 db); dynamic 1 pos 2.85, dist 6.90 (-3.82 db)

I'm normally on the bridge pickup of my Reverend Kingbolt RA with the bass contour all the way down. I like the bright sound, but at the same time I don't want the highs to get too out of control. The 1960TV is great at allowing my favorite clean tones in the III (especially low-gain sounds from the Texas Star) to sparkle a little bit without harsh pinging as I get high up the neck on the B and high E strings. I haven't really settled on a favorite amp for overdriven/crunchier sounds yet, but the 1960TV also seems to easily handle anything gainier I've thown at it.

When I first got the Axe-FX, I was extremely excited about the possibilities of mixing and matching cabs to amps, but now I think I may just end up with the 1960TV as my go-to for almost everything!
I just tried your exact settings on my 1959 presets. Sounds really great! I just ended choosing Dynamic2 instead of one and Just a high cut at 8K.

Sounds awesome! thanks

Back
Top Bottom