Favorite guitar shape?

I love LP body shapes and derivatives of those shapes like the EBMM Axis. I also dig the jazz archtop style bodies like a 335 or the ES 175 type shapes.

I tried to love strats for 23 years. The tones are great on those guitars but I couldn't find one whose ergonomics I bonded with, so I finally gave up.

Tele shapes intrigue me but my challenge is finding one with a slim neck as I can't bond with curved telephone pole thick necks.

Strandberg Boden

Recently played on of the OS7s and was amazed. This is coming from someone well over 40 who has always played strat and lp (and their derivatives) shapes.

I six or seven string Boden is in my near future. I've always been a six string player, but I enjoy fingerpicking and the idea of an extra string for bass notes is appealing.

Man, I love a lot of guitar shapes. They first time I saw a Flying V as a kid, I thought that was the coolest guitar shape in the world I still have a thing for the '58 style V with the Korina body and boomerang tailpiece. The first electric guitar that I ever got my hands on was a Les Paul, and being a big fan of Led Zeppelin and KISS, that was a hugely iconic guitar shape to me. A had a buddy who was a Hendrix nut, and he was a Strat man through and through.
So when I started playing professionally I was a Les Paul guy. I played my main guitar until it needed a refret, and while it was in the shop my buddy loaned me a Strat to take on tour as my backup guitar. After a couple of gigs, I was playing the Strat as my main guitar. When I got home from that tour I asked my buddy how much he wanted for that guitar. Been primarily a Strat guy ever since, and that was about 20 years ago.
I've been thinking of having Kiesel build a guitar for me, kind of in a Strat configuration, but maybe with their PRS style body.

And yes, I've also occasionally looked at a few Korina Flying V models. I've played a number of original Gibson '58s, and while they're incredibly droolworthy, I can't justify owning a guitar worth more than my house.

Another fetish of mine is solid rosewood or pau ferro necks :) there's nothing quite like them - amazing feel and tone.

Absolutely!

The neck on the Tangerine strat is a Pau Ferro with a Ebony board. Sex-on-a-stick. The white and the red strat both have Goncalo Alvez necks with Pau Ferro boards which is my fav combo of woods - and there is a Pau ferro board on the 8-ball as well.

And apart from the 8-ball neck they are all raw (no finish) and burnished (up to 12000 grith) and oiled so they feel ultra smooth.

SG are the best looking guitars imo. It just straight up says rock and roll. That being said I play ibanez RG style just because this what I learned on and they feel like home.

I would also have to give a nod to the Explorer shape, always loved that shape for a guitar, but equally hated to having find a place to set it down.

Back
Top Bottom