Favorite Drive pedal with High Gain Amp

For something completely different and equally fun try the Pi Fuzz in the Drive block
in front of one of the JCM800 models.

Depends on the amp; for high gain Marshall stuff I usually go with the SD-1, for lower gain Marshall stuff it can be anything from a TS9 to a Tube Driver, for modern high gain stuff either the Maxon or Precision Drive, for 90’s high gain sounds most likely a TS9.

I suppose I try to go with what won’t color the amp that much, I know I have the Neutral boost in a few presets. I’m more trying to get the immediacy from it. Though lately I’ve been having a blast with a Dual Rec and the not-so-immediate sound of it. Took me a while to figure out how to make Mesa’s work for my playing style, real ones or modeled ones.

Last night spent some time messing around with some of these recommendations. Pretty sweet with the FC-12 and using the long press to toggle between 4 channels. I found that was a really good way to audition 4 drives at a time. Play a short riff or sustain a note etc then toggle to next. I could easily have added more drive blocks to double the auditions now that I think about it. I plan to do this method with High gain amps along with Clean to breakup etc. What I need is a clean amp platform...like a Fender twin or band commander ...and find a good drive to give me some creamy leads. I'm positive Leon Todd did a video on something like this. I'll have to search for it

Came to say the same thing---especially in front of a Marshall, or Marshall variant, which includes
a lot of the boutique names.

Yes to the Marshall flavors too! I like pushing the gain to maybe 3 to 4 with the level up to 6 to 8, with the tone pretty low, between 1 and 3.

Although with Marshall flavors I will so often use the OCD in low peak mode, getting half the gain from the pedal and the other half from the amp, for a loose, dynamic heavy tone that still has nice articulation no matter what you do.

I still love the Suhr Riot models. But back in the day - any neutral boost into a Mesa Boogie Roadster (RECTO in AxeFx III parlance) would make it rock!

So like the post says: Do you have any favorite drives to use with high gain amps? or other preferred methods for boosting etc
Precision drive
It works kinda the way Nuno uses Rat with Marshalls - you don't really need a lot of gain from the pedal to shape the sound. Precision adds an edge and focus to the sound, I'd say a must-have pedal for shreds.
A lot of tone shaping tools also in this one, like try setting attack high and tone to zero, and see if you like it - or set the gain high and rip and tear until it's done
Very flexible and powerful tool, useful with any amp, from cleans to brutal gains

Last edited:
Just leaving this tip here

Anyone who doesn’t use the “drive” parameter and only use the “tone” or BMT knobs might be better off using a PEQ block with these settings:

Low cut around 52hz-80hz , db/oct to taste
Band boost - around 600hz-2000hz and Q to taste
High cut around 6hz-12khz , db/oct to taste

And add or substract another band boost/cut to taste

Much more versatile IMO

Just leaving this tip here

Anyone who doesn’t use the “drive” parameter and only use the “tone” or BMT knobs might be better off using a PEQ block with these settings:

Low cut around 52hz-80hz , db/oct to taste
Band boost - around 600hz-2000hz and Q to taste
High cut around 6hz-12khz , db/oct to taste

And add or substract another band boost/cut to taste

Much more versatile IMO
Input EQ in the Amp block does the same?

Where would one find the 'mouse' drive? :p

Have a feeling they are referring to the Rat, which is a great drive. Personally drives for me depend on which guitar I’m using. Typically like the FET Preamp, SDD Preamp, T808 MOD, and the Rat. The Preamps I use to either fatten up my lower output guitars or for solos on my higher output one. And the T808 and Rat are either for saturated solos with higher output guitars like my Les Pauls or Novo, and main solo for lower outputs like my K-Line. I’ve actually liked that as my starter drive block with most amps

Depends on what you want to achieve. Many producers look for Drive pedals to boost, but also pronunce the mids around 70Hz and cut the bass to get rid of the flubbiness - the TS or the SD/OD-1 will do that job great!

Back
Top Bottom