Favorite Drive pedal with High Gain Amp

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I've been diving back into playing more regularly and really appreciating the Drive Models. The latest modelling has made these drives more useful to me than in the past and have been incorporating them more. Friedman/Marshalls are my go to amps and/or USA IIC++.
So like the post says: Do you have any favorite drives to use with high gain amps? or other preferred methods for boosting etc

TS* boost is usually the go to for high gain in general.

But, try the treble booster into the RV50 for a different flavour of fun.

The FAS Boost is one of my favorites. I also really like the Precision Drive - this one has less of a signature sound and can be tweaked to shape your tone flexibly. A lot of people also like the Grinder boost in the preamp page of the amp block, but I find that it cuts out too many frequencies and makes the tone sterile

I found the ACB early on and stuck with it, it's my favorite boost pedal. Tone at 1:00, drive at 9:00, and level between 3:00 and max works for any high-gain amp.

Another ts808 here

But I’d recommend using a PEQ or Filter block before the amp to really experiment with the clean signal going to the amp

I've really been enjoying the Jam Ray. Whether it is used as an edge of breakup tone with a clean amp, to enhance a Fender style amp, or boost a Marshall style one, it is complimentary with my setup.

Hate to be that guy, but what others like, you may not and vice versa. Ya gotta try 'em and see what you like. There's so much to the Axe Fx III that you really need to put the time in. It's work but it's fun work...at least for me!

cpu does go up somewhat, though not as much since preamp boost doesn't model the extra gain stage/clipping
Weird, when I turn on the input boost and choose the shimmer type, CPU doesn’t even climb a tenth.……and that’s turning it on in both amps of the preset.

I found the ACB early on and stuck with it, it's my favorite boost pedal. Tone at 1:00, drive at 9:00, and level between 3:00 and max works for any high-gain amp.
See I never would have chosen this drive but now that I have today I like how it boosts without adding extra fizz on top. Has a smoother response to my ears and retains the underlying amp characteristics nicely. Very pleasant in a rock n roll fashion. noice.

Micro Boost, HV Clip shape, low drive setting, level 10, other settings stock. In front of amps that sound good with high drive, low MV settings. HV Clip shape seems to help create a smooth, rounder overdrive…

Back
Top Bottom