Favorite amp and cab for vocals?

Guitar amps and cabs don’t flatter the human voice and are rarely used for that... unless you’re looking for a distorted, low-fidelity sound. I that case, you can pick whichever ones you want, depending n how much distortion you want.

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking for a distorted tone. I didn't realize I could get a signal through the FM9 without an amp/cab while just using an input and and output along with whatever other desired FX.

Yep. Just leave the Amp and Cab block out of that signal chain. Any of the blocks can be used by themselves or in any combination.

If you want to use the Preamp simulation in the Cab block to simulate a console input but with no IR filtering, choose the last cab in the Factory 2 bank called "Totally Flat".

Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking for a distorted tone. I didn't realize I could get a signal through the FM9 without an amp/cab while just using an input and and output along with whatever other desired FX.
yup! any "clean source" like vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. don't need the amp or cab block to sound great. of course you can always add any block like Amp and Cab if you want features from them.

Keep in mind that although you do not need and amp or cab in you preset, you will need a boost in the form of a mic preamp before you send the signal into the Axe or FMx unit! These units do not have any mic preamps and without one on your vocal signal (depending on your mic) you will most likely need a boost to be at a level the axe is comfortable with. My vocal signal goes first into a tube preamp called the Avalon 737vt sp and then into the Axe but there are hundreds of mic preamp choices on the market including most mix boards having them to some extent.

I use Axe FXIII every day with signal going in for both guitar and vox!

Off-topic, but I can't help it.

One day you should try pumping a nice piano track through a fender combo, especially in the context of a mix. Very cool sounds to be had.

Keep in mind that although you do not need and amp or cab in you preset, you will need a boost in the form of a mic preamp before you send the signal into the Axe or FMx unit! These units do not have any mic preamps and without one on your vocal signal (depending on your mic) you will most likely need a boost to be at a level the axe is comfortable with. My vocal signal goes first into a tube preamp called the Avalon 737vt sp and then into the Axe but there are hundreds of mic preamp choices on the market including most mix boards having them to some extent.

I use Axe FXIII every day with signal going in for both guitar and vox!
I have seen it talked about before; the need for a mic pre-amp. ....Is there any way to get around this by making some tweaks within the FM9? I feel like I kinda have done that but maybe not in the best way. Yeah the level isn't exactly where I want it to be, but it's workable at least just for getting some simple recordings with singing and guitar at the same time via the FM9 USB into Logic Pro.

Yep. Just leave the Amp and Cab block out of that signal chain. Any of the blocks can be used by themselves or in any combination.

If you want to use the Preamp simulation in the Cab block to simulate a console input but with no IR filtering, choose the last cab in the Factory 2 bank called "Totally Flat".
I think you may have answered my question that I asked Moondog Wily. Very interesting. I am definitely going to give that a shot. Thank you!

Ok hear me out..... Recording demos and basic ideas with just the FM9 hooked up to Logic Pro via USB cable. One mic and one guitar. Super simple set up. Just looking to get the best options for the vocals without using an external mic preamp. It would be great if future FM9's would have a better mic option.

I have seen it talked about before; the need for a mic pre-amp. ....Is there any way to get around this by making some tweaks within the FM9?
Yes. You can bump the level at the Input block or anywhere else in the chain. The only way that won’t work is if your mic requires phantom power, which the FM9 doesn’t provide.

I have seen it talked about before; the need for a mic pre-amp. ....Is there any way to get around this by making some tweaks within the FM9? I feel like I kinda have done that but maybe not in the best way. Yeah the level isn't exactly where I want it to be, but it's workable at least just for getting some simple recordings with singing and guitar at the same time via the FM9 USB into Logic Pro.
Others have chimed in on this, but here is my take (keep in mind I am no expert and most here have a better grasp on studio equipment than I do)!

You can boost the signal in the Axe/FM unit. You could do so in a number of ways:
Input block level increase
Output block level increase
Vol block
Filter block
Preamp
Amp
Probably some others I can't think of
Some or all of the above in combination at varying levels ;~))

And don't forget in the device setup page, to ensure that the audio input for that mic is set to the maximum levels and set to Analog!

Depending on what mic you are using, this could work and produce results that will give you a level you are good with, but the signal may not sound as good as you like and/or have a lot of noise floor. The biggest problem as I understand it is the noise floor. With a mic preamp, I believe it boosts the signal more cleanly in most cases. You also get the advantage of the extra controls the mic preamp may provide to fine tune the input signal before it hits the FAS unit.

As already mentioned, if you mic needs phantom power, you will need to find a way to get that. You can get inline phantom power units I believe. Try to find a mic that is "hot" on it's own (high output signal without any supplements). I don't know which ones would win in this scenario, but I do know that the Shure SM7B would be one of your worst possible choices, so do NOT go there. It has an output level dozens of db below other mics like the SM58 and SM57.

Best wishes on your project!

Others have chimed in on this, but here is my take (keep in mind I am no expert and most here have a better grasp on studio equipment than I do)!

You can boost the signal in the Axe/FM unit. You could do so in a number of ways:
Input block level increase
Output block level increase
Vol block
Filter block
Preamp
Amp
Probably some others I can't think of
Some or all of the above in combination at varying levels ;~))

And don't forget in the device setup page, to ensure that the audio input for that mic is set to the maximum levels and set to Analog!

Depending on what mic you are using, this could work and produce results that will give you a level you are good with, but the signal may not sound as good as you like and/or have a lot of noise floor. The biggest problem as I understand it is the noise floor. With a mic preamp, I believe it boosts the signal more cleanly in most cases. You also get the advantage of the extra controls the mic preamp may provide to fine tune the input signal before it hits the FAS unit.

As already mentioned, if you mic needs phantom power, you will need to find a way to get that. You can get inline phantom power units I believe. Try to find a mic that is "hot" on it's own (high output signal without any supplements). I don't know which ones would win in this scenario, but I do know that the Shure SM7B would be one of your worst possible choices, so do NOT go there. It has an output level dozens of db below other mics like the SM58 and SM57.

Best wishes on your project!
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response! Interesting about the mics. I've been using an SM58. One thing I do love about FAS are the plethora of ways in which you can make adjustments and tweaks to the signal chain. A little over-whelming at first, but with time it's definitely a blessing!

Back
Top Bottom